Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-02-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
BC Racing vs Feal 442 or Other 2ways?

Hi All,

Final question to the community. I haven't kept up with coilovers in awhile and in the market for something around 2-3k. A good track oriented setup with remotes and 2 way adjustment.

Is BC Racing any good? Used to be just a blah setup. I know Feal suspensions id pretty good, but small company....

Any recommendations, like said mainly track but Northern California Tracks are not super smooth and have a lot of un-eveness and bumps so something with good stroke.

KW Clubsports overpriced?
Fortune Dreadnaughts are super pricey....

Anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-02-2022, 11:41 AM   #2
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Zilvia is just like 3 of us having a conversation now ...

For that budget I'd be talking to Jon Lugod at Shaftworks to see what he can whip up. Most motorsport 2 way remotes are in the 4-5k range (AST, JRZ, MCS, etc), plus springs/camber plates on top of that. Jon is also in LA so he knows your tracks well.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I had a decent discussion going in this thread, I think mods intent was for it to house discussions like this. Not tryna troll or stroke my own thread but there may be some info in there you could find useful.

https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=678077
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #4
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
I had a decent discussion going in this thread, I think mods intent was for it to house discussions like this. Not tryna troll or stroke my own thread but there may be some info in there you could find useful.

https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=678077
Cool i remember that thread, wasn't sure it was still going!

What did you end up buying?

*** EDIT just saw you got some Fortune 500s with swifts.....***
Old 11-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Zilvia is just like 3 of us having a conversation now ...

For that budget I'd be talking to Jon Lugod at Shaftworks to see what he can whip up. Most motorsport 2 way remotes are in the 4-5k range (AST, JRZ, MCS, etc), plus springs/camber plates on top of that. Jon is also in LA so he knows your tracks well.
Right? LOL.... I know shaftworks, I saw they do a lot of revalving too and stuff when I was searching on google.
I try to ask people about BC cause Vaughn and Adam LZ all running them know.... but they are marketing machines.... so its hard to tell....

MCS I think you can get 2 way no reservoir for around 3k
Old 11-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #6
Danb
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Danb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have spoke with several of the top brands that every one uses before making a purchase and Feal seemed to be more knowledgeable or more forth coming with information than others. They reminded me of the suspension company i use for my shock valving and service on my XC quad. I ended up with FA500's due to a trade-in program they had going on at the time and now I have a custom spec'd set of Silvers 2-way long travels but if i ever reset, i think i will be giving Feal a shot.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:27 PM   #7
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
I have mcs double remotes and they were like $4800 or so for bare shocks. Not worth it for ancient chassis but they are definitely nice haha. Singles are right around 3k.

Lugod is a great setup guy and if it wasn't for my stupid mcs setup that's where my money would go.
Old 11-02-2022, 04:53 PM   #8
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
I have mcs double remotes and they were like $4800 or so for bare shocks. Not worth it for ancient chassis but they are definitely nice haha. Singles are right around 3k.

Lugod is a great setup guy and if it wasn't for my stupid mcs setup that's where my money would go.
Shiet..... That MCS is bling factor for sure... I think I will go towards shaftworks next time cause I like supporting local businesses.... I have like swift upgrades and helping springs, so I am all set on springs.... looks like Shaftworks has their own line of coilovers now too

My Megan front blew and I am able to get a replacement for 300 bux both sides. With that, since I haven't driven or tracked my car in 10 years, probably get a feel for it and then upgrade.

Appreciate the feedback, I agree Feal suspension is really nice too and Odi knows his stuff....

This definitely gives me a direction.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #9
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
im daily driving a subaru now and ohlins are the go to other than feal, however, if powered by max were available for my model i would prefer them. the BCs run nice but dont last
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #10
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Classic zilvia. MCS and PBM discussion in the same thread.

lol.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #11
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Classic zilvia. MCS and PBM discussion in the same thread.

lol.
We went from Megan Racing, Ohlins, Feal, Fortune, MCS, and AST / JRZ / Moton.....

Ohlins don't even make anything for our old cars.....
But I would love to support a California company, so will keep shaftwerks in mind going forward.....

You are right MCS and JRZ, unless its time attack or I got a wad of cash worth more than the car..... might not be the smartest idea....

But I do want rebound and compression, especially high speed and low speed compression.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:58 AM   #12
e1_griego
Post Whore!

I'm giving up on tracking my old junk (well, bought a new s13 to swap my parts into), but I'll keep the MCS and maybe just lighten the spring rate (though they ride great).
Old 11-03-2022, 08:16 PM   #13
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
I'm giving up on tracking my old junk (well, bought a new s13 to swap my parts into), but I'll keep the MCS and maybe just lighten the spring rate (though they ride great).
Didnt you have an EFR turbo and stuff? What are you tracking now? I just get a kick out of speeding past porsches on trackdayz
Old 11-03-2022, 09:45 PM   #14
e1_griego
Post Whore!

No, just a gen2 gtx2867.

Simple simple.

Parted out STX brz autocross car (kept mcs, giken diff, etc). Building LFX v6 rx8. Have giken and AST remote doubles for it haha.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:35 PM   #15
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
No, just a gen2 gtx2867.

Simple simple.

Parted out STX brz autocross car (kept mcs, giken diff, etc). Building LFX v6 rx8. Have giken and AST remote doubles for it haha.

Shit. Talk to me nice

I was looking into building a GLTC/STU/PTW class car and "old junk" 240sx was an option since I have parts to build one, an E46 and (shockingly enough) a LFX RX8 as that chassis is superb and a V6 with 300WHP would make that car fly

Why did you stop tracking your old junk?? Should I steer clear of the 240 chassis??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 12:33 AM   #16
Kylerkickass240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Kylerkickass240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
does this mean you're transferring everything from the coupe??
Old 12-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #17
slider2828
Post Whore!

Hey Y'all, just update this thread. Enjuku Racing had a big black friday sale which included the feals to be 20% off!!!!!

So I got 442's for 700 off and came out to just above 3K for radial bearings, swift springs with helpers, 2way adjustable with reservoir, rebuildable for 3way in the future.... who doesn't love Odi man.... great drifter...

I liked feal cuz really I have a bunch of 65mm swift springs from 6k to 12k and helper springs, so I could just reuse them and they are great in the drifting and road racing community

I will need to run my megan tracks first with swifts helper and main springs for a little bit on the track. Then do B2B comparisons with lap timer..... Will be fun... Keep y'all posted.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:42 PM   #18
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Hey Y'all, just update this thread. Enjuku Racing had a big black friday sale which included the feals to be 20% off!!!!!

So I got 442's for 700 off and came out to just above 3K for radial bearings, swift springs with helpers, 2way adjustable with reservoir, rebuildable for 3way in the future.... who doesn't love Odi man.... great drifter...

I liked feal cuz really I have a bunch of 65mm swift springs from 6k to 12k and helper springs, so I could just reuse them and they are great in the drifting and road racing community

I will need to run my megan tracks first with swifts helper and main springs for a little bit on the track. Then do B2B comparisons with lap timer..... Will be fun... Keep y'all posted.
Awesome!

Also, car looks great man! Love the DRFT front, I can't wait to get my car up and running so I can mount mine!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:00 AM   #19
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post

Congrats and good luck.

To get any real good coilover advice you need to find a specific forum or group dedicated to track performance and talk to guys that have had multiple iterations. Generally, "generic" forums and groups (like Zilvia), you just get responses from guys with no experience or points of reference.

"I had Tien Basics on my Civic and it sucked, felt stock and wouldn't go low enough, now I have BC's on my 350Z and it rocks. Slammed and it super stiff! Get BC's bro"
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:03 PM   #20
schassis240

Trader Rating: (0)
schassis240 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bc coilovers are really good
schassis240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:35 PM   #21
Farzam
Post Whore!

Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by schassis240 View Post
bc coilovers are really good
I bet there is a correlation between your post count and IQ
Old 06-05-2023, 11:10 AM   #22
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
He was posting just to post so he could get into WTB. However, this 'BC is good' comment is pretty stupid.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:24 AM   #23
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
This guy reminds me of like 12 years ago when Zilvia was poppin and chock full of half-brains because 240sx's were $1000.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:53 PM   #24
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
This guy reminds me of like 12 years ago when Zilvia was poppin and chock full of half-brains because 240sx's were $1000.
They're still realistically worth that. Morons are out there paying five figures for shit boxes because they're too proud to go get a cheaper drift solution - i.e. E36/E46, FRS/BRZ, Mustang, Z33, whatever. There are other solutions, we're just stuck in our old ways.

Anyone who is a 'true' enthusiast has kept their S-chassis [in most instances]. But I digress.

That kid sucks.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:18 PM   #25
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
fortune 500's still best bang for your buck, or should I go be poor somewhere else?...
Old 06-06-2023, 07:09 PM   #26
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
fortune 500's still best bang for your buck, or should I go be poor somewhere else?...
Honestly, I just had the BC DS X Fortune 500 X Feal 441 debate for my 350z.

All of them were going to get swifts.
All of them utilize a digressive piston.
BC has a 2 year warranty, Feal and Fortune are 1 year.
BC DS with swifts was the cheapest option, so thats what I went with, and truth be told i'm very very happy with them and my S13 will be getting them as well. Fortune is ridiculously expensive now, IMO.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:12 AM   #27
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

I run FEAL in the Silvia drifty boi because I used them in previous cars and they absolutely fucked [see my R32 for proof]. Sure, you can valve and spring any coil and make them pretty good, but what you're really paying for is fit and finish of the product. FA and FEAL are where I went because they physically build, inspect, and dyno in house so when I open the box, I expect no surprises. Odi [FEAL] even takes it a step further and will help you dial the coils in to your car, engine setup, weight, etc. And he offers rebuilds at a very reasonable cost. With all that, I don't know I'd go anywhere else than FEAL. Also, if you're smart, you buy them when they're on sale which happens throughout the year and the price gap [which isn't big] is just about gone.

Just my two cents. No one is 'wrong' and you'll probably get a great riding coil either way, but Odi personally discussing the setup and ensuring they're dial out of the box was worth the extra bread. You make the call if that service means anything to you.

P.S. I also ran FA on my EVO and one of my S13s and have nothing bad to say about them either. Coils ran great, lasted the test of time, and did whatever I wanted them to do. I gave FEAL a shot when they went on sale for my expensive Silvia build and R32 thrash car and I was hooked and am now a lifer. I have BCs in one of my S13s and they're meh. They work but they don't feel quality in the hand and everything looks very China/mass-produced.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:33 AM   #28
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
looks like feal is also a couple hundred dollars cheaper than fortune. Maybe i'll go feal after all
Old 06-07-2023, 11:53 AM   #29
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

FA is nice, but I agree. You're paying more for... I'm not sure what. Just make sure you're comparing apples to apples i.e. FEALs with the SWIFT upgrade versus FA with the SWIFT upgrade [should you choose those are important to you, which they should be].
Old 06-07-2023, 12:53 PM   #30
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
I run FEAL in the Silvia drifty boi because I used them in previous cars and they absolutely fucked [see my R32 for proof]. Sure, you can valve and spring any coil and make them pretty good, but what you're really paying for is fit and finish of the product. FA and FEAL are where I went because they physically build, inspect, and dyno in house so when I open the box, I expect no surprises. Odi [FEAL] even takes it a step further and will help you dial the coils in to your car, engine setup, weight, etc. And he offers rebuilds at a very reasonable cost. With all that, I don't know I'd go anywhere else than FEAL. Also, if you're smart, you buy them when they're on sale which happens throughout the year and the price gap [which isn't big] is just about gone.

Just my two cents. No one is 'wrong' and you'll probably get a great riding coil either way, but Odi personally discussing the setup and ensuring they're dial out of the box was worth the extra bread. You make the call if that service means anything to you.

P.S. I also ran FA on my EVO and one of my S13s and have nothing bad to say about them either. Coils ran great, lasted the test of time, and did whatever I wanted them to do. I gave FEAL a shot when they went on sale for my expensive Silvia build and R32 thrash car and I was hooked and am now a lifer. I have BCs in one of my S13s and they're meh. They work but they don't feel quality in the hand and everything looks very China/mass-produced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
looks like feal is also a couple hundred dollars cheaper than fortune. Maybe i'll go feal after all
Like I said I went with Feal because ODI. I was like this dude's been in the S chassis game for almost as long as us with some great success. So I was like it makes sense since he knows the chassis so well. Like Supa said, I went Feal because I got a 2 way with remote reservoir for a damn good steal.

I am still working on the build and its getting close. I want to do a back to back comparison with my Megan Racing with Swifts and Helper springs... Its going to be fun....

I've seen some of the latest builds of FA and they are doing some new interesting stuff on their coilovers such as locking colors like on SPL stuff.... I think its also cheaper because FA may come with radial bearings and with Feal its an upgrade.

If you live in an area where there is no rain or salt, think of getting some torrington bearings, they make a huge difference