Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-26-2022, 01:37 AM   #1
adey
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 S14 subframe & knuckle in S13: what R coilover?

Hi everyone, I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't find the thread. (I tried multiple searches...)

- My car is a 1998 RPS13 with HICAS.
- I have an R33 GTS non-HICAS (which IIRC = S14/S15) subframe that is waiting to go in.
- I have GKTech V2 rear knuckles (and all their arms) on the way. (https://au.gktech.com/v2-s-r-z32-cha...new-kinematics)
- **I have coilovers on order, but pending confirmation of which lower mounts to use**
- (Of course, I also have an S14 diff cover waiting to come in.)

So, my question: What rear coilover combination should I use for my car?

My understanding from reading other posts is that if I were to use the OEM S14/S15 knuckle, I would need the S14/S15 rear lower coilover mount. However, in this case, GKTech rear knuckles are universal. So should I use the S13 rear lower mount??

(S14/15 rear coilovers are almost 11cm longer than S13 versions, and most of that extra length comes from the lower mount)

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-26-2022, 03:53 AM   #2
lok
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
lok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You should use original s13 rear coilers. The length difference is from the s14/15 body that makes their rear longer than s13.

https://www.splparts.com/spl-pro-sol...-bushings-s13/

Do you have the adapters?

I read a few places that say they bolt up but I have only done it with the adapters from spl

Are you still in HK
lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 01:37 AM   #3
adey
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks dude!! Yes as I was thinking about this, I realized the height is probably mainly due to the mounting point on the body side, not so much on the knuckle side. I'll go ahead and order the standard S13 rear coilovers then!!

I've got the GKTech poly subframe swap bushings -- hopefully they'll be more comfortable than these solids!

And yes I'm still in Hong Kong... you doing OK out in OK? lol
Old 12-27-2022, 04:55 PM   #4
lok
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
lok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Good deal. Yeah, solid is pretty aggressive for sure.

I am living in HK now, that's why I asked. Haha
lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Dudes this is awesome. I was hoping there are still some flying chickens in HK still.... Sorry off topic as I am from HK but in the states. What are some good youtube chans you guys watch? I am just watching XRX and Garageboy about it... would love to know
Old 12-28-2022, 07:22 AM   #6
Danb
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Danb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
Hi everyone, I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't find the thread. (I tried multiple searches...)

- My car is a 1998 RPS13 with HICAS.
- I have an R33 GTS non-HICAS (which IIRC = S14/S15) subframe that is waiting to go in.
- I have GKTech V2 rear knuckles (and all their arms) on the way. (https://au.gktech.com/v2-s-r-z32-cha...new-kinematics)
- **I have coilovers on order, but pending confirmation of which lower mounts to use**
- (Of course, I also have an S14 diff cover waiting to come in.)

So, my question: What rear coilover combination should I use for my car?

My understanding from reading other posts is that if I were to use the OEM S14/S15 knuckle, I would need the S14/S15 rear lower coilover mount. However, in this case, GKTech rear knuckles are universal. So should I use the S13 rear lower mount??

(S14/15 rear coilovers are almost 11cm longer than S13 versions, and most of that extra length comes from the lower mount)

Thanks in advance!!
I recently just installed an S14 subframe with GKtech V2 knuckles on my S13 and can confirm, you will use S13 coilovers.

I ran into a few issues with the subframe touching the frame rails and the underbody of the car while using Voodoo conversion bushings in the raised position and replacement s14 balljoints from Bernie here on zilvia marketplace or ebay. The BJ shanks were just almost too short to use them, I had to clearance the castle nut by approximately 2mm's to get the cotter pin through. I am unsure if that problem is related to the BJ itself or if its with the knuckle or just the combination of the two. Just a few things to watch out for depending on your part combinations.