Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Just read through entire thread and great job on everything!

I myself am still in Oki and just got my hands on a cheap RB S1 motor/mission swap. I plan to use your thread as a guide. I'm sure there will be lots of differences b/w a S14 and a S13 chassis...I might just do S14, not sure.

Do you have any suggestions on other parts to bring with me for when I PCS? I mean like alt, starters, ignitors, etc. You know how cheap they are over here.

Also, Did you use a S14 or R33 downpipe? I didn't see it anywhere in the thread...but I remember you using the S14 exhaust.

THanks man and once again, great build thread!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2slide View Post
Just read through entire thread and great job on everything!

I myself am still in Oki and just got my hands on a cheap RB S1 motor/mission swap. I plan to use your thread as a guide. I'm sure there will be lots of differences b/w a S14 and a S13 chassis...I might just do S14, not sure.

Do you have any suggestions on other parts to bring with me for when I PCS? I mean like alt, starters, ignitors, etc. You know how cheap they are over here.

Also, Did you use a S14 or R33 downpipe? I didn't see it anywhere in the thread...but I remember you using the S14 exhaust.

THanks man and once again, great build thread!
Thanks man,

Shouldnt be that much of a difference, the Rad/Fan setup might be a little diff (not sure if you can fit FALS on the S13)

yeah i would snag an extra MAFS, CAS, Ignitor Chip, IACV, Maybe an ECU and some Coil packs if you dont go splitfire.

with the SYKO mount kit you can use an SR down pipe.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Old 04-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Nice. Looks like Syko it is then!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
trollin240

Trader Rating: (0)
trollin240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Like many of the other people on this forum I too just read through the entire thread. I just finished an rb20 swap into my s13. I've had to quickly learn how to trouble shoot on the side of the road lol... Found out that my issue was a bad mafs... Lucky me I have a friend that has an r32 and happened to have an extra one.

I will be parking the s13 as soon as I get the head gasket fixed in a g20 that I just picked up for super cheap. And I will be starting to really tear into the car. Should be a complete rebuild of the car from the ground up. I want a clean dd this will not be a track car.

Your thread was by far one of the most informative threads I have read and will be refering back to this very often to get ideas of what I can do with mine. Already have made a folder of all the links you purchased parts from.

cause in all honesty the rb was pretty much thrown in there. I learned the hard way that a project/dd is not possible

thanks again for all your photos and time spent to document this for us!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
datsunnazi
Zilvia Member

datsunnazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to datsunnazi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollin240 View Post
like many of the other people on this forum i too just read through the entire thread. I just finished an rb20 swap into my s13. I've had to quickly learn how to trouble shoot on the side of the road lol... Found out that my issue was a bad mafs... Lucky me i have a friend that has an r32 and happened to have an extra one.

i will be parking the s13 as soon as i get the head gasket fixed in a g20 that i just picked up for super cheap. And i will be starting to really tear into the car. Should be a complete rebuild of the car from the ground up. I want a clean dd this will not be a track car.

Your thread was by far one of the most informative threads i have read and will be refering back to this very often to get ideas of what i can do with mine. Already have made a folder of all the links you purchased parts from.

cause in all honesty the rb was pretty much thrown in there. I learned the hard way that a project/dd is not possible

thanks again for all your photos and time spent to document this for us!
hey... I recognize that motor!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
s14owner95
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
s14owner95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14owner95 Send a message via Yahoo to s14owner95
Hey man great build thread, read through it and it seems you aren't dead, so looking forward some updates every now and then, haha..

Just one quick question, I didn't see the P/N you used for that new A/C condensor.. got one?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Thanks Trollin, Glad I can help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14owner95 View Post
Hey man great build thread, read through it and it seems you aren't dead, so looking forward some updates every now and then, haha..

Just one quick question, I didn't see the P/N you used for that new A/C condensor.. got one?
Nah Just slow im working on two other projects (My Sileighty and SR AE86) as well as other customer cars and shit.

Right now im in the process of putting A/C back in the S14, Had some Custom lines made and would have had it charged up but it seems the China made Filter Driers have the wrong port size, so now i gotta order a OEM Nissan one uhhhhhh

Nah the Condenser is not OEM, its a copper core so i could mod it.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Old 05-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How did you wire up your a/c compressor?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline racer510 View Post
How did you wire up your a/c compressor?
I just cut the plug off the KA A/C Compressor and soldered it on to the RB one
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
lg54
Zilvia Member

lg54 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys, can you talk to me about weight distribution of an rb25 into an s13, i know it has been covered a lot but im still a bit skeptical. how does it affect it for drifting and such..

thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg54 View Post
hey guys, can you talk to me about weight distribution of an rb25 into an s13, i know it has been covered a lot but im still a bit skeptical. how does it affect it for drifting and such..

thanks

well as you can tell this is a build thread for an S14 so I cant really say what the effects would be for an S13 seeing that they are two different chassis.

Why would you still be skeptical about ppl giving you first hand knowledge and feel of an RB in a S13? They would know best.

If you could please ask these type of questions in those threads since as you can tell this is my build thread has nothing to do with drifting/handling and I dont want clutter in here about questions that dont pertain to installation of an RB.

Thanks
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Just found out this weekend I have been running on 5 cylinders.. Makes sense how my idle was funny,ran weird, not much power and my take off was weird. Fixed it and I have fallen in love again. I can't believe how much power it has now haha. I am having a problem with cooling some. What do you think about the front bumper restricting air?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Your car looks fantastic in those 'show' pics, great job.

In response to the handling issue, it's true that there is more weight over the front, but that's not the worst thing in the world, especially for drifting. Going from SR to RB25 for me let me change my alignment a bit and the extra weight over the front gave me even more mechanical grip, letting me 'throw' the car harder. It's not enough to make the steering sluggish ~ unless you drove them back to back you'd never know the difference.

Throw in the power difference, better trans, bigger powerband, and beautiful noises the RB25 makes, and it's a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked240 View Post
Just found out this weekend I have been running on 5 cylinders.. Makes sense how my idle was funny,ran weird, not much power and my take off was weird. Fixed it and I have fallen in love again. I can't believe how much power it has now haha. I am having a problem with cooling some. What do you think about the front bumper restricting air?
Even the S13 front bumper has plenty of frontal area, it's all about ducting. Don't let air out the bottom of your bumper; make it go to your radiator.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 05-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Your car looks fantastic in those 'show' pics, great job.

In response to the handling issue, it's true that there is more weight over the front, but that's not the worst thing in the world, especially for drifting. Going from SR to RB25 for me let me change my alignment a bit and the extra weight over the front gave me even more mechanical grip, letting me 'throw' the car harder. It's not enough to make the steering sluggish ~ unless you drove them back to back you'd never know the difference.

Throw in the power difference, better trans, bigger powerband, and beautiful noises the RB25 makes, and it's a no-brainer.

Even the S13 front bumper has plenty of frontal area, it's all about ducting. Don't let air out the bottom of your bumper; make it go to your radiator.
I think it's all going to my intercooler haha. But a new front end would help cooling would it not?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #15
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

lol Thanks Jeff

Quote:
lol wow, good find.

I agree with Jeff.

Quote:
I think it's all going to my intercooler haha. But a new front end would help cooling would it not?
If the AM bumper had a bigger air duct it would help while driving,
Maybe throw in a Nismo Thermo? (if you didnt already)

From your thread it seem your RB runs pretty hot.
248*F? Thats pretty damn hot,

With my setup mine runs no hotter than 90*C (194*F) under spirited driving.
and no Cooler than 80*C (176*F)

Maybe look into getting a PWM Fan Controller?
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #16
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
lol Thanks Jeff

lol wow, good find.

I agree with Jeff.

If the AM bumper had a bigger air duct it would help while driving,
Maybe throw in a Nismo Thermo? (if you didnt already)

From your thread it seem your RB runs pretty hot.
248*F? Thats pretty damn hot,

With my setup mine runs no hotter than 90*C (194*F) under spirited driving.
and no Cooler than 80*C (176*F)

Maybe look into getting a PWM Fan Controller?

Yeah that happened a few times. Doesn't reach that anymore. I went home friday and it was about 70*F out and I hit 100*C with both fans on cruising 60.

Now when I came back to my place, It was about 40*F out and with both fans it stayed right at 86*C. Would the fan controller help? I have them on all the time.

I flushed my entire engine out and that may of helped some. But we will see I guess. I do have a nismo stat. I also had a leak right around my water pump(small one) but I think I fixed it now.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Yeah that happened a few times. Doesn't reach that anymore. I went home friday and it was about 70*F out and I hit 100*C with both fans on cruising 60.

Now when I came back to my place, It was about 40*F out and with both fans it stayed right at 86*C. Would the fan controller help? I have them on all the time.

I flushed my entire engine out and that may of helped some. But we will see I guess. I do have a nismo stat. I also had a leak right around my water pump(small one) but I think I fixed it now.
hmmm maybe not, you might need some fans that push more CFM, maybe do that ghetto hood prop at the hinges or get a Vented Hood.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 08-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
hybrid_eg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
hybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
If I may suggest on the cooling details.. of course it varies what you have in the engine bay restricting air to the rad.. with my set up I found the most effective to have a silvia front end.. the amount of air rammed through the grille opening (once you switch to GTR grille) is unbelievable!!

I also do not run any coolant, just mixture of redline water wetter with distilled water of course.. works like a charm.. I also ended up making a custom radiator to help with the flow and a giant 16" spal fan that runs non-stop (no controller, just direct igntion).. car usually runs between 70-75c.. on track if drifting it will hit a 100 since no direct air flow, couple of quick laps will bring it to normal op temp..

i'm curious to see how the temps will change now that she will hopefully put out an additional 250whp..

Quote:

Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #19
SLEEPYDUB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
SLEEPYDUB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Pat, I was wondering if you were running into any problems with your RB that are similar to this.

1) Car has a boost leak near the read of the Isis intake manifold. Not sure if its the intake manifold gasket, or if its possibly an injector O-ring causing a leak.
2) This may be the cause of this, but i dont know. The car has a very hard time starting once its warm. It literally needs to be floored to the floor for it to start just so it can get enough air into the manifold. It seems that either that boost leak is causing that problem or something else. I havent ever seen this problem before in any of my cars.

3) The idle is very lumpy, then again im sure those other 2 problems are directly related to this one.

Its on stock wastegate with no boost controller and makes about 6psi of boost. I think it should make around 10 stock. The car feels great, but I know this leak is really holding it back.

Any help would be great man
Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #20
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPYDUB View Post
Check the ECU for codes, Almost sounds like a code 13 for the ECU Coolant Temp Sensor
a Dirty MAFS will caus similar issues as well
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #21
SLEEPYDUB
Zilvia Junkie

Well I cleaned the maf yesterday and it didn't help.
The boost leak on the manifold is very loud at idle. Its on the back toward the firewall and when I spray carb cleaner or another agent it will mess with the idle so I think I've found where its coming from. A new intake manifold gasket has been ordered.

As for codes, I haven't even checked yet lol. It has a Mines Ecu so I don't know if that would be any different...

This threads really informative. Thanks for taking the time to make it. We need more people to do this!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #22
ChadMcGarity
Leaky Injector

ChadMcGarity is an unknown quantity at this point
I have learned so much about RBs by this thread. I would like to Thank you guys for the help. My motor is in, I am just going to pull it this weekend to powder coat the exterior and the internals. I will keep everyone updated if they would like.

I have some mounts that are pre fabed up, PERFECT fit, I am using my orginal crossmember, ps lines, a/c everything ( different down pipe ) it comes with motor mounts and tranny mount. Let me know if anyones interested and we can work out a price. They can be powder coated aswell.

I am now ordering my rad, FMIC, and a few other main things in the next few days.

I have recently fully 10 pt caged the car, it will have full interior. Cage is very clean and will be the same color as the car. It is placed very well, with just enough room to install interior panels. The car is also getting full rubber insulation. I am not worrying about the weight factor. Fuel cell is being fabed up this week. Dual fuel pumps, and so much more to go in the car. My goal this year is 400hp.

Its going to be a show/go car. I am currently looking for sponsors. And a little help, I have a few photos, And will start the play by play steps soon. Luckly I have a GREAT platform with zero rust and in great shape.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #23
SLEEPYDUB
Zilvia Junkie

Pat, got a good FSM for the RB?
Im getting my Freddy and the valve cover powder coated this week, and then im putting it all back together with new vacuum lines and maybe even some Steel braided. I just dont remember which hose went where haha. So an FSM would be awesome
Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #24
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

nothing really gonna add up using the RB FSM except 1-2 coolant lines but here it is anyway
Nissan Factory Service Manual (FSM)

and a decent Plenum install
How-to: Greddy-style Plenum Install - Skylines Australia
I have the OG Greddy instructions but is a PDF and in Japanese
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 06-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #25
mrphams

mrphams is an unknown quantity at this point
with your current e-fan setup, do you find that the fans turn off when going at speed? like when you're on the highway doing 70mph, the air flow from speed should be plenty so the fans aren't needed?

and running dual FAL fans in a push configuration? do they need to run a shroud?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #26
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

my thermo is set at like 80*C and its about +90*F outside so cruising around town its about 85-90*C with fans runing around 50% i think.

Highway speeds 60-70MPH with +90*F outside engine runs about 95*C due to the tranny gearing (5th gear at about 3K-3.5K) I think (tach is inop) if it had a 6th gear it would be perfect.

im sure a vented hood would help out a lot as well.

But yeah fans are always running unless its around 80*F outside
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #27
mrphams

mrphams is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
my thermo is set at like 80*C and its about +90*F outside so cruising around town its about 85-90*C with fans runing around 50% i think.

Highway speeds 60-70MPH with +90*F outside engine runs about 95*C due to the tranny gearing (5th gear at about 3K-3.5K) I think (tach is inop) if it had a 6th gear it would be perfect.

im sure a vented hood would help out a lot as well.

But yeah fans are always running unless its around 80*F outside
Thanks mate!

I'm trying to setup thermos in my car, everyone keeps saying that thermos should be off when you're at speed? But I haven't found this to be true for everyone. Some people say their thermos only ever turn on in traffic or when they're driving at very low speeds, so now I'm worried that something might be wrong with my cooling system because that isn't how my fans work.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #28
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

I think it all depends on the Fan controller and what you have the thermo set to, mine is set at 80*C
I highly recommend the DIF PWM Controller.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 07-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #29
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

I think this might help a few ppl

1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 07-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #30
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Saving that pic, sure it might be helpful when I attempt this swap. Any new vids?
Closed Thread