Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
slidewayz350
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
slidewayz350 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
s14 subframe in s13

I know some people have put a s14 subframe in a s13. I was wondering if it is worth it and how do you like it. Also what control arms and all sis you use.

Thanks,
Jason
slidewayz350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
[email protected]
Advertiser

Trader Rating: (87)
Mogli@9KRacing.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 87 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mogli@9KRacing.com
worth it.

easy swap, you use s14 suspension/s14 diff cover now in the rear

Contact 9K racing for any of your tuning or modifying needs.
Mogli@9KRacing.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
UG-T
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
UG-T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What's the advantage of doing this though?
UG-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
You can use all of your s13 suspension.

The ONLY things you need are s13>s14 Conversion bushings, which SPL, and I beileve Stance sell.

And s14 rear diff cover.

s13 Subframes have a lot of anti squat built into them.

s14 Subframe = more grip
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
olah.inc
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
olah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
does someone make pu bushes for the conversion?
olah.inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
iLagX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (40)
iLagX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to iLagX
you guys can learn more right here.

http://www.splparts.com/instructions/SPL_SSB_S13C.pdf
iLagX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
slidewayz350
Zilvia Junkie

I will def have to do it then. I appreciate the info.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
slidewayz350
Zilvia Junkie

Another question I have is do I use a s13 rear sway bar or do I use a s14.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
booey13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (91)
booey13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 91 reviews
S14 sway bar because it's wider than the s13
Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
slidewayz350
Zilvia Junkie

I take it that it will mount up with no issues
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
anotheraznguy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
anotheraznguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anotheraznguy
also, the toe arms width is different. so if you have s13 vs s14 you need to change toe arms/
anotheraznguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
^No, the arms are the same, the conical spacers are different. The s14 has a wider mounting point.

And the rlca mounting points are wider on the s14 subframe, so if you use s13 rlca's then you need to use washers or something to take up the extra space.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
7jpat
Zilvia Member

7jpat is an unknown quantity at this point
i know it 7 months old but no need to start a new thread , i just pick up s14 subframe and diff cover , going into s13 , i know i need conversion bushings and im going to get all new arms my guess is it would be easier to get s14 arms , but what about when i get coilovers will s13 rear coils fit or would i need the spacers like they use on s14 front knuckles, or would solid bushing in s13 frame be the same as swapping in s14
7jpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7jpat View Post
i know it 7 months old but no need to start a new thread , i just pick up s14 subframe and diff cover , going into s13 , i know i need conversion bushings and im going to get all new arms my guess is it would be easier to get s14 arms , but what about when i get coilovers will s13 rear coils fit or would i need the spacers like they use on s14 front knuckles, or would solid bushing in s13 frame be the same as swapping in s14
s13 rear coils will fit on s14 sub frame on a s13, i have the conversion done on my car.
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Book marking that link above, great info
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
7jpat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinggg View Post
s13 rear coils will fit on s14 sub frame on a s13, i have the conversion done on my car.
thanks
how do u like it ? do u ever go to towers would be easier to talk in person

and yeah i went throw that link good stuff there
Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7jpat View Post
thanks
how do u like it ? do u ever go to towers would be easier to talk in person

and yeah i went throw that link good stuff there
yeah i use too until i took my car off the road for a build like 5 months ago.. i usually ride out there with my buddy from up north then go drifting and racing at us27 for the night haha.
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #18
Bubba
Zilvia Junkie

Bubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-known
Those damn offset bushings are not required to do this swap. Figured I would note that since I keep seeing people insist on using them. The stock rubber bushings will give enough side to side for you to mount the SF up to the car. Your biggest issue with the swap will be exhaust hangers. The only arm you may need to swap is the RLCA, although I just used washers on each side of the bushing until I cleaned up my dookie set of S14 RLCA's.

Also, the only factory suspension I have in the rear is the RLCA so if anything else OEM doesn't fit then I really wouldn't know about it. Haha

Good luck. I'm happy with the swap. Glad I took the time to rape the doner car down the road for it's subframe.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
7jpat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Those damn offset bushings are not required to do this swap. Figured I would note that since I keep seeing people insist on using them. The stock rubber bushings will give enough side to side for you to mount the SF up to the car. Your biggest issue with the swap will be exhaust hangers. The only arm you may need to swap is the RLCA, although I just used washers on each side of the bushing until I cleaned up my dookie set of S14 RLCA's.

Also, the only factory suspension I have in the rear is the RLCA so if anything else OEM doesn't fit then I really wouldn't know about it. Haha

Good luck. I'm happy with the swap. Glad I took the time to rape the doner car down the road for it's subframe.
my bushing are no good and i want solid ones ,i was going ti get all adjustable arms for s14 , thanks on the heads up for exhaust hanger
Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
ZAKU
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
ZAKU is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
The stock rubber bushings will give enough side to side for you to mount the SF up to the car..
This sounds like a BAD idea, there's no way those bushings will last if you're putting a preload on them.
ZAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #21
new47416
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (15)
new47416 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
So, to do this swap i need:

1. s14 subframe.
2. s13>s14 Conversion bushings from spl or stance.
3. s14 RLCAs
4. would other s13 suspension parts will work? what coilovers s13 or s14? is there any other parts i need?
new47416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
bunch of stupid idiots in this thread

yes, you need the fucking offset bushings. i dont know how fuck-face above even suggested stretching the fuck out of the OE bushing to slip it onto the subframe. thats like shoving a fist in a womans vagina and leaving it there, 24-7.

you will need...................................
offset bushings (with shims)
lower control arms
long control (toe?) arm (which has proper width, none of that spacer nonsense)
spindles
diff cover

remember that you will need bushings for practically everything since its all old and shot. this means control arms, spindles, and diff bushings.

also, dont waste time burning bushings like _every_fucking_idiot_ suggests, as its a complete waste of time (unless you like blowing black bogies out your nose). drill the majority of rubber out of the bushing and use a recip-saw cutting inwards towards the subframe (as opposed to the thin outer areas).

i also suggest avoiding poly urethane nonsense, unless you want to spend a lifetime under your car removing the bushings, re-greasing them, and re-installing them. i have yet to see ANYONE make a clean setup w/ grease fittings, its all sloppy joe ghetto style.

so bushing alternatives are to get nismo (if you can find them) or get raped financially buying spherical bearings which are harsh and not really ideal for a street car, plus they are not designed to last tens of thousands of miles.

remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #23
new47416
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (15)
new47416 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Thanks for clarifying
new47416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
^ listen to him and do it right the first time.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #25
josephin510
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
josephin510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

yes, you need the fucking offset bushings. i dont know how fuck-face above even suggested stretching the fuck out of the OE bushing to slip it onto the subframe. thats like shoving a fist in a womans vagina and leaving it there, 24-7.

lower control arms
spindles
diff cover

remember that you will need bushings for practically everything since its all old and shot. this means control arms, spindles, and diff bushings.

also, dont waste time burning bushings like _every_fucking_idiot_ suggests, as its a complete waste of time (unless you like blowing black bogies out your nose). drill the majority of rubber out of the bushing and use a recip-saw cutting inwards towards the subframe (as opposed to the thin outer areas).

i also suggest avoiding poly urethane nonsense, unless you want to spend a lifetime under your car removing the bushings, re-greasing them, and re-installing them. i have yet to see ANYONE make a clean setup w/ grease fittings, its all sloppy joe ghetto style.

so bushing alternatives are to get nismo (if you can find them) or get raped financially buying spherical bearings which are harsh and not really ideal for a street car, plus they are not designed to last tens of thousands of miles.

In my years of being outside my cave I found that common sense isn't so common.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #26
7jpat
Zilvia Member

so i need s14 spindles too? starting to see im in more then i want but oh well
Old 02-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #27
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

lower control arms
spindles
diff cover

Not to argue, but the toe arms are the same length, it's just the mounting area that's a different width. I wasn't saying to run a spacer, just recommending finding the RIGHT conical spacer (SPL use to include both sets with their toe arms).

s13 toe arm in s14 subframe:

Also, most of the people stretching out the bushings to fit are trying to conform to Street Mod autox rules which explicitly prohibit offset bushings. It's not the right way to do it, but that's usually the impetus.

The taper is different between rear s13 and s14 ball joints, so you will need to get s14 spindles or take the opportunity to run z32 aluminum uprights (but those will necessitate changing your lower shock mount to z32 fork style). The length between s13 and s14 rlcas is the same, it's just the bushing width that is different. The RLCA inner bushings are 40 mm wide on S13/Z32, 50mm on S14s.

Please go read: http://nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=1512
Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #28
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

180wanabe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
you could just find someone to mod your subframe to take out the lca tilt in the s13 subframe. Powered by max did it on a customers car but i can't seem to find the article now.
180wanabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #29
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Not to argue, but the toe arms are the same length, it's just the mounting area that's a different width.
I tip my hat off to you sir. Not even going to argue because you are indeed correct. My post was just saying "stock for stock." For an OEM bushing to work properly, it needs to be torqued onto the vehicle when laden. Adding washers and doing bullshit like that obviously negates the point of doing all this work, besides being ghetto.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #30
e1_griego
Post Whore!

For sure, but once you add sphericals to everything, it's no problem!

I am definitely in your camp when it comes to do everything right, just wanted to clarify a couple bits I chose to use s14 lcas, z32 uprights and spl offset bushings, and the proper s14 spl toe arm spacers when I did mine. No reason to half-ass suspension stuff, at all.