Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #61
AKsamuraiS14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
AKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeAKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeAKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeAKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeAKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeAKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeAKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeAKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeAKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeAKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeAKsamuraiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
^^^ show us more!! This thread needs to be kept alive
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2022, 02:24 PM   #62
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
lol, I do have more, I'll see what I can do. I had a bunch saved up for a big upload before zilvia went down, so I'll start hosting them when I get a little free time.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #63
gabefromcali
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
gabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Super cool thread man. Thanks
gabefromcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #64
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
A few observations and questions -

One, whats up with all the corrugated steal buildings? While cool, and I'd love to have one, they look very Soviet-Era / 3rd World.

Two, Japan looks very run down (outside the glitz areas). Is this a correct assessment? I get this feeling that there was tons of growth and expansion with all these "modern" buildings in the 80's and early 90's and then the economy collapsed and much of the country never recovered, renovated or continued to expand like it had 30 years ago.
late reply, but...

Why not? Concrete and steel buildings are the best for the type of climate there (rainy/humid + needing to be earthquake and typhoon-proof). Plenty of those types of buildings in the midwest/south US

as for run-down, maybe by your standards. lots of Japan also were never built up, so if you limited your travels to only major metropolitan areas then you'd only see what is built up.

it's like going to (insert major US city here) and only experienced what you saw in the airport and the downtown/popular areas.

plenty of places in the US are run down and 3rd-world like outside of urban areas.. expansion does not mean you tear down old stuff and build over it.

lastly: keep in mind the major cities outside of Kyoto were practically leveled by Allied forces in WWII. rebuilding them from scratch was a necessity, not out of progress.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:30 PM   #65
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
...it is legitimately like Corbic says. The bigger metropolitan areas are also subject to the corrugated steel/poorly formed concrete buildings but the cameras don't get pointed there. Tokyo, Yokohama, Fukuoka, etc all have these old buildings.

There is a situation in Japan where the older neighborhoods/cities are almost ghost towns. parents grew up in these cities with a sense of community but their offspring typically want to head out for a life in the city when the time comes. The parents get old, house gets too hard to take care of, and then when the parents pass the kids do not care to reclaim the home and fix it up. So they just sit. I went on a roadtrip to/through Takayama and at nightfall there were absolutely no lights on in any houses, the konbinis were all boarded up, and it looked like people just...stopped living there.

Also, steel is NOT a good choice for the climate lol. That's why all the steel on these old buildings is rotting away. The humidity here is bonkers during the summer months. I think mav is talking about steel-reinforced concrete buildings and corbic is talking about the roofs and outer panels of some of these 'less-than-nice- houses.

TL;DR - Like everything else in life, Japan is not some glorious mecca that the influencer pages show you. There is a lot of 'ugly', a bunch of terrible roads, and abandoned buildings. You could compare this effect to seeing romanticized pictures of Europe and then actually visiting.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:06 PM   #66
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
Also, steel is NOT a good choice for the climate lol. That's why all the steel on these old buildings is rotting away. The humidity here is bonkers during the summer months. I think mav is talking about steel-reinforced concrete buildings and corbic is talking about the roofs and outer panels of some of these 'less-than-nice- houses.
no I'm talking about steel roofs.

it is all over Asia.

It is still the cheapest way to build something that has a moderate chance of being destroyed in the next 10 years from a natural disaster.

I have friends in Taiwan and other parts of SE Asia that have lived in houses like these for generations. prior to this it was mostly houses with brick frame,wood roof structure, and tiles for roof. those come down fast.

like you already said, many of these things need to be taken with context. plenty of shoddy construction in parts of the US we all never visit...

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:47 PM   #67
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's a testament to how humid it is that those galvanized steel house roofs still look rusty and janky over time, but they are quite sturdy compared to the typical US asphalt composition shingle over wood sheathing. Honestly the houses in these pictures look like they're made to the same standard as Western Europe (very different construction methods to the US obviously) and the industrial buildings are industrial buildings, they look like that everywhere. There are high dollar govt contractors near me that work out of buildings like this upfitting vehicles.

Buildings in Japan are built for a service life, anyway, something we don't think about in the US, but Japan has way less space and way more permissive zoning, there's no sense like we have that you build a house and that house's lot will always be that house forever.
AKADriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #68
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Bee Dragon

Another Division of Feels. Love that Beat out front..

Garage Hama. I actually heard about this place from cruising YAJ, and found a bare shell with their name on the side.

Garage HRS

Garage Yamago

GForce

I See You!!!

ITO Auto

Side lot for ITO Auto

Kansai Service (holy shit heavy hitters...)

Liberty Walk. This place is like a fever dream...

MoonEyes (awesome time for a photo!!!)

MotoFix

I can't remember the exact context for this photo, cool shot though..

Pan Speed (builders of one of the coolest FD's ever IMO)

Paradise Road

Rays Engineering offices, I think the factory is right behind it. You can see it from the highway...

Rocky Auto

Star Road

Weld (anyone remember the S14 with the SR that went underneath the windshield?!)

Old 06-06-2022, 07:19 AM   #69
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
That Weld s14 was for sale on this forum years ago.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:27 AM   #70
burnsauto
Post Whore!

that car, for its time, was bananas. They were doing things back then that no one else have ever thought of doing on an s chassis.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #71
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
This was interesting.... Alexi actually has a shot of the old Kei Office..... I thought it would be appropriate for this cool thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eisycDVbn2Y?t=710
Old 07-01-2022, 07:46 PM   #72
burnsauto
Post Whore!

I saw that! If anyone else is into old shops/cars, check out Wasabi Cars on youtube. Aussie is really into classic stuff, and has introduced me into a ton of stuff I've never heard of.

PS- working on another upload
Old 07-01-2022, 10:41 PM   #73
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
I saw that! If anyone else is into old shops/cars, check out Wasabi Cars on youtube. Aussie is really into classic stuff, and has introduced me into a ton of stuff I've never heard of.

PS- working on another upload
Cant wait for your next post. Will check out that channel. I am going to try to go there when i am in japanext next time and also check out Ishikawa Body.... love their work
Old 08-09-2022, 04:12 AM   #74
Kylerkickass240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Kylerkickass240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Car Modify Wonder..

Can we talk about this elongated s13 with the tiny rear doors? I thought this was a panoramic photo mishap at first lol. I wonder if this was done simply to create more room for the rear seats
Old 08-09-2022, 06:27 AM   #75
burnsauto
Post Whore!

It not elongated. It's just the shot getting screwed up. Here's another shot of it, still messed up, just not in the same exact way. For some reason it doesn't like the pole it's parked next to..