Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
Sr20det Starter Swap

as im sourcing to replace my starter and they cost around $100 to get another used one. good thing my friend has a spare starter. been looking for good info but not many of them so here it is just a share for people who looks for alternative for replacing their shot starter.

THINGS THAT YOU NEED

8mm
10mm
ratchet
89-90 starter (can source out from your local junkyard or a friend who crashed their 240...LOL)

KA starter on the LEFT and SR on the right

Unbolt 2 bolts from the solenoid using 10mm socket wrench and 8 mm for the other 2 bolts. then swap the upper portion from ka to sr.
when you open it up. be careful just in case not familiar with it things do fall off. when you check from the inside you will see 3 gears from the bottom part of the starter and a ring like gear inside the upper part but i think there is a cap cover for everything its just my sr came off like that so i just explained it.

check the ring gear for any wear on the outer bushing/rubber. i have mine from the sohc starter worned out so i used mine from my sr.

this pic below when i tested it from kragen see it works and i didnt put any grease on it thats when i hear that grinding sound.

when you put things back together. i recommend putting new grease to the gears so itll ease that painful grinding sound.

then attached the ring gear together with 3 small gears.

put the cover back and make sure the holes for the bolts are aligned. if you checked on the site of the starter there is a marker that aligns the bolts so you wont have a hard time adjusting it to make the bolt go in.

for the solenoid
there is 3 parts from the under the solenoid. a retaining clip, a washer, and a metal piece that pulls the trigger to get the pinion to mate with the flywheel to get it start.

the trigger from the bottom part of the starter

re assembling it. make sure that the trigger from the bottom part of the starter gets inside the metal piece.

then screw back those 4 bolts but then overtightened it.

there you have an alternative starter now.

as for everything. it works and as i tried performing this swap. engine is out of the car so i had to run wires to crank my motor. but it should work fine. i have a redtop s13 so it should work for s13 blacktop as well. not so sure about the s14 and s15.

Last edited by wangan_cruiser; 03-20-2008 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: more information added
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
could you provide some more details on whats being shown in the pictures? Do this and it'll be a great write up (beats spending the $$$$$ on a new sr starter.) +rep
Old 03-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
nice work and thanks for the write up

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
IRN
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
IRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
+rep for you. now i wont toss my old starter
Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
yep. now when u have a rebuild sohc starter from autozone and had a sr swap same year, dont toss it away if its broken...guess use the warranty then use it again for the sr swap =)
Old 03-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
sbanzer123
Zilvia Junkie

sbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the rough
or just take your shot sr started to a place that rebuilds them i just got mine rebuilt for 50 bucks.
sbanzer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanzer123 View Post
or just take your shot sr started to a place that rebuilds them i just got mine rebuilt for 50 bucks.
What he described would be the alternative for those who have a few minutes and might be looking to save even that money, this is actually a good writeup.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
rican_nick
Zilvia FREAK!

rican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to rican_nick
great write up.

i wanted to see if they would swap over but was to lazy. Now that you've done it i'll start saving the KA starters..lol

+1 for you

My Seller's Review Thread
rican_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
sbanzer123
Zilvia Junkie

sbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the rough
not saying its a bad writeup or bad idea just saying that you can also take it to a place that rebuilds starters, because i know some people think that because the sr wasnt sold in the us that they cannot have them rebuilt.
sbanzer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
180sx_Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection180sx_Drifter is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
great write up! +1 rep!

180sx_Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

yep i know for the fact that you can actually rebuild an sr starter. i kept my current sr part to get rebuild but in the mean time....for people who just swapped their ka to sr and run out of funds. they can actually do it and save couple of dollars to get your car running and at the same time. you can send your starter to a rebuilder then you have an extra starter waiting to get installed when your current alternative starter goes out.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
badicalradical
Zilvia Member

badicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of light
Back from the dead.

Bringing this up because absolutely none of this is correct. Not a single part between a redtop SR starter and a SOHC starter are interchangeable.

Wasted and hour of time the other night trying to fix a friends starter to start up his swap before the warranty was up.

Ended up grabbing one off a homies car.

Id love it if someone can prove me wrong and this true......

But its more likely someone can prove rotary's have pistons.

Just don't want to spread misinformation.
badicalradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
Jdm_G35
Leaky Injector

Jdm_G35 is an unknown quantity at this point
i second that ish!
Jdm_G35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
badicalradical
Zilvia Member

badicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of light
I got a PM from a member one here with a link to a more detailed writeup on another forum.

You have to use a Hitachi starter as opposed to a Mitsubishi as the brushes and solenoids are the same as the SR.

BTW any 89-98 ka starter works as long as its Hitachi.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
badicalradical
Zilvia Member

You can also buy a new brush assembly and solenoid for around $70 online.

BTW thanks to Andres_G for the link.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #16
Nan0

Nan0 is an unknown quantity at this point
would this work for s14 sr? are s13 and s14 SR starters the same?
Nan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #17
alpha180sx
Leaky Injector

alpha180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by badicalradical View Post
Back from the dead.

Bringing this up because absolutely none of this is correct. Not a single part between a redtop SR starter and a SOHC starter are interchangeable.

Wasted and hour of time the other night trying to fix a friends starter to start up his swap before the warranty was up.

guess you didnt read the whole write up.
sorry man if thats how you see it. i did this swap and run my sr for 3 months with no problem at all.
alpha180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Quote:
Back from the dead.

lol you must be retarded. i ran this set up for for 2 straight months with no prob until i got in accident. dont spread misinformation with your mistakes doing this swap.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #19
devlmaycry
Leaky Injector

devlmaycry is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, I had my brother do this for me on my car while I was deployed and the starter is still working fine. No issues at all. I think the O'reillys website actually listed Mitsu and Hitachi as different pn's. It was a while ago so I can't say for sure now.
devlmaycry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #20
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Andres_G is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
You can also buy a new brush assembly and solenoid for around $70 online.

BTW thanks to Andres_G for the link.
Your welcome sir.
Andres_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
keMz
Zilvia Member

keMz is an unknown quantity at this point
VERY FKN GOOD INFO.

Just finished using a used ka hitachi starter and my car is alive again.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!
keMz is offline   Reply With Quote