Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
BFever

Trader Rating: (0)
BFever is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Head gasket or cooling sys issue

I took my 97 Kouki with a s13 sr out for the first time since before winter, and when I got home I noticed I was blowing coolant out of the radatior cap. I plan to check the plugs and run a compression/leak down test in the next few days just to be sure. The car is showing no other blown head gasket systems ie white smoke, oil in coolant etc etc..... I did find that my radatior does have some orangish/rust sediment that sometime comes out so I’m leaning more towards just a radatior the is bad or needs a flush.

I also can’t find and leaks in the coolant system. I’m just looking for some ideas I over looked before I have to start tearing things apart, and spending money.
BFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
if your rad cap is bad it can do that.
a rad flush is never a bad idea and rust sedmient is totally normal on these poor neglected cars
Old 03-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
as the system goes up in temperature the gas expands and pressure goes up. The rad cap seals up to a certain pressure, usually 12-15psi.

Some systems regularly overflow to the overflow when fully warmed, then draw the coolant back when cooling down. However if it is excessive then you should find out what is causing it, too much pressure (overheating or leaking compression) to blow water out the cap, which could also be bad as was mentioned.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Might just be a bad radiator cap, or perhaps an overfilled system. Get that rusty crap out first and get yourself a new radiator cap. Cheapest route to begin with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
BFever

Trader Rating: (0)
BFever is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was thinking all the same things. I picked up a new radiator cap, but I need to wait till it gets warmer to flush out the whole coolant system. I’m thinking that all the above should help.

I did forget to mention the car doesn’t even have a coolant overflow so buy a tank you rig something up myself. I haven’t owned the car very long, so I’ve only been able to drive it a few time to see if anything is wrong with it.
BFever is offline   Reply With Quote