Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #61
blownmotor
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
blownmotor is on the path to ruinblownmotor is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I run Shockproof with a mix of MT-90 and it works pretty good when it's cold. I don't know why you guys say Shockproof is junk. It doesn't heat up like regular oil and the viscosity is high enough to not break down. Hell R32 and 33 owners swear by it.
blownmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #62
Zeller

Zeller is an unknown quantity at this point
I run the Amsoil motor, trans and diff fluids in my s15 sr also. I am also switching over all my other cars too. I just became a dealer so if anyone wants some special pricing on these products just PM me!!
Zeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #63
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRas View Post
Why would Nissan recommend the use of GL-4 rated fluid in their transmissions but recommend GL-5 for their differentials?

intresting read:
Gear Oil Selection

Oils are made from base stocks, refined and then mixed with additives to improve their performance. GL-5's incompatibility is due to the extreme pressure (EP) wear additives. To give the gear oil its EP rating, it's easiest to add a sulpher based additive like MoS2 (molybdenum disulphide) but the sulphur present in the oil (you can smell it) is responsible for eating the copper alloy used to make the synchros.

GL-4 differs from GL-5 by the amount these chemicals are mixed into the oil (1/2 to much less in GL-4). Since the same additives are present in GL-4, they will eat the synchros as well but at a point in time that is beyond the expected service life of the gear stack.

To get the GL-4 rating, the oil has to pass the ASTM D-130 test. This test determines how reactive the sulpher is against a polished copper strip. The strip is also subjected to heating to simulate the running conditions in the gear box.

To obtain GL-5 certification, the manufacturer does not have to pass the ASTM D-130 test. This is the main reason why you should avoid GL-5. So, if you put in a call to a manufacturer about their GL-5, that test result is what you want to verify.Some people will claim that using GL-5 in a GL-4 spec transmission doesn't apply when the GL-5 is synthetic. This depends on the oil and cannot be generalized. However, it should be noted that many GL-5 synthetic gear oils do not use sulpher in their EP additive package and can pass ASTM D-130.Even if the ven if the manuacturer states the gear lube is "non-corrosive", its viscosity index may be too slippery for the VW style synchros. This means that while the syncros won't corrode, the oil is not designed to grab the hub the way GL-4 does and the transmission will wear out another way.As a final caution, some GL-5 formulas have been known to permanently coat the synchros in a VW manual transmission reducing its life by 50%.

GL-5 MT-1:

In recent years a new gear lube rating has appeared: API GL-5/MT-1. MT-1 all by itself is just as non-suitable as GL-5 can be but in combination some manufacturers when asked are now stating that formula is ok to use in place of GL-4. It is hard to verify if these gear oils are suitable for the transmission. Certainly, they have not done as much research as VW has done but at the same time VW is no longer testing new transmission oils with their obsolete models.
What is clear is that the oil has to pass ASTM D-130 to get the MT-1 rating. This will determine if their EP additive package is non-reactive with copper. However, until you try shifting the gears you won't be able to confirm if it's got the proper viscosity.
For that reason, sticking with GL-4 is simply the best course of action for long transmission life unless you can verify mileage and shifting performance with another owner.

Blah blah blah, whatever. You said it yourself in your post. GL-4/5/6/whatever only matters depending on the manufacturer. I'll just ignore all this gl-whatever crap untill I actually have a problem. The neo 75w90 rhd that I am running exceeds gl-5 and gl-6 standards, but for some reason in the 1.5 years of track/street beating I have yet to have a synchro problem. IMO it is all bullshit and depends ONLY on the manufacturer. That opinion will not change untill I personally have a problem.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #64
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
^^^ I agree, but one thing I can tell you its smoother than all the shockproof redline stuff and that is my test and all I can confirm.

I use redline oil and that is all that goes in my motor, but from my EXPERIENCE Amsoil just made a better gear oil/tranny oil.... Done....

If there is more bickering about standards, I am going to lock this thread....

SSOOOOOO hopefully people can post up their experiences more.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #65
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
^^^ I agree, but one thing I can tell you its smoother than all the shockproof redline stuff and that is my test and all I can confirm.

I use redline oil and that is all that goes in my motor, but from my EXPERIENCE Amsoil just made a better gear oil/tranny oil.... Done....

If there is more bickering about standards, I am going to lock this thread....

SSOOOOOO hopefully people can post up their experiences more.
I would agree that amsoil is better then redline for the trans at least. Shockproof is just too thick for our trannies andI have heard too many horror stories about the mt90.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #66
Somnambulist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Somnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Somnambulist
FSM says GL4 for trans and GL5 for diff.
Which stuff would I use for the trans?

Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30
or
Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90

The 5w30 doesn't say anything about GL4...

And for the differential? Quite a few different options..

Severe Gear 75W-90
Severe Gear 75W-110
Severe Gear 75W-140
75W-90 Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube
Synthetic 80W-90 Gear Lube

I'm getting a Cusco 1.5 way Type RS LSD in this week.. Wondering if I can use the Amsoil stuff or should I just stick with the Cusco LSD oil?
If I did go with the Amsoil gear lube, would I need the Slip Lock Differential Additive?
Somnambulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #67
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Severe Gear 75w-90 from Amsoil, but I would stick with Cusco stuff.... Never used the Amsoil for the Diff, so just Cusco and when you run out of Cusco just go amsoil I am sure its fine.....

and then

Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube from Amsoil. It says GL-4 right on it, go to the website as I have posted in a couple of posts back.

DOne and Done.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #68
Somnambulist
Zilvia Junkie

Somnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Severe Gear 75w-90 from Amsoil, but I would stick with Cusco stuff.... Never used the Amsoil for the Diff, so just Cusco and when you run out of Cusco just go amsoil I am sure its fine.....

and then

Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube from Amsoil. It says GL-4 right on it, go to the website as I have posted in a couple of posts back.

DOne and Done.
Hm. What about the LSD additive from Amsoil?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #69
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
essforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
I use Motul Gear Box 80w90 Mineral Oil. I cant tell the difference but seems to shift

smooth! I was told it was reusable and doesnt break down.

what do you guys think!
essforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #70
Somnambulist
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by essforteen View Post
I use Motul Gear Box 80w90 Mineral Oil. I cant tell the difference but seems to shift

smooth! I was told it was reusable and doesnt break down.

what do you guys think!
Reusable.. How so?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #71
Teambadrun
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Teambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
meh i just use castrol vmx80.. does the job fine.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #72
slider2828
Post Whore!

I think its recycleable because its vegetable oil based, but I don't think its reusable as the additives would surely breakdown over time.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #73
SliddinSidewayz

SliddinSidewayz is an unknown quantity at this point
how many bottles of amsoil do u need for the sr tranny ? goona change mine today...
SliddinSidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #74
NISMOTUNEDZ
Leaky Injector

NISMOTUNEDZ is an unknown quantity at this point
How would you be able to find the correct wEight for your tranny? Ive heard people using the same tranny oil for thier diff... Is this correct????
NISMOTUNEDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #75
95kat

95kat is an unknown quantity at this point
Im ordering the amsoil 75w-90 gl-4 now!

Doing a 5speed swap this weekend and might as well start off with the fluid no one has said anything bad about.
95kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #76
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
I used to run MT90. It was nice at first, then my tranny started getting notchy... I switched to Penzoil Synchromesh on Friday, and it feels 100x better now.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #77
JaMeSoN
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
JaMeSoN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
now only if there was transmission oil that didnt smell like ass. I hate how I can smell it through my shifter
JaMeSoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #78
undesiredshoe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
undesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to undesiredshoe
I use Pennzoil Synchromesh, meshes your synchros together like butta

Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #79
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMeSoN View Post
now only if there was transmission oil that didnt smell like ass. I hate how I can smell it through my shifter
MT90 smells alright. Even after 16 months of constant flogging, it never started stinking. lol
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #80
slider2828
Post Whore!

Amsoil smells least and Motul smells NICE!! Why? cause Motul's base is veggie oil. Yum!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #81
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
What about autos?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #82
slider2828
Post Whore!

Look up on their website.... AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases

Never tried their auto stuff, but I am about to for my acura TL.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #83
White Comet
Zilvia Junkie

White Comet is making a name for him/her selfWhite Comet is making a name for him/her self
nice thread and good info in here. i just swapped my sr into the new shell with a new (used) trans and was debating what oil to use. i'm def gonig amsoil now. i swapped in a ka trans with sr bellhousing, and before putting the bellhousing on i had to beat the shit out of the drain and fill plugs. the last owner sealed them shut. long story short, i had to apply heat and now need new plugs
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #84
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
nismoskyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Some good info here... so Amsoil or Motul then?

My 3rd gear has been grinding ever since i got the car so a while back i replaced the gear oil with Royal Purple...

now i'm noticing that when its cold, the transmission shifts like butter in every gear, and i can even jam it into third without a chirp, but once it warms up, 3rd starts grinding as usual and all the gears, in general, dont shift as smoothly as they do when its cold.

What would be my best bet?

(function)(form)^(-1)
nismoskyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #85
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
I use neo 75w90HD or neo 75w90RHD. The HD is about $40/gallon or so and the RHD is about $80/gallon or so. I LOVED the RHD, I have the HD in it right now and I don't like it so much. I'm gunna switch back.
This is what I use and LOVE it! besides, if SPL runs it in their race cars, then i'm sure its good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
As for motor oils the diesel oils are the best, especially for motor break-in. They have a LOT more detergents and suspend particles much better.
I thought alot of detergents on a race motor was bad? less lubricating molecules because of all the soap molecules right? Elaborate please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangudai View Post
What about autos?
They fail....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoskyz View Post
My 3rd gear has been grinding ever since i got the car so a while back i replaced the gear oil with Royal Purple...

now i'm noticing that when its cold, the transmission shifts like butter in every gear, and i can even jam it into third without a chirp, but once it warms up, 3rd starts grinding as usual and all the gears, in general, dont shift as smoothly as they do when its cold.

What would be my best bet?
Sounds like the RP is thinning out too much under temp, I'd step it up to a full synthetic oil, with maybe a bit higher weight like 80w-90.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #86
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
K I need some input. My tranny's starting to grind 3rd gear, the wierd thing is it only does it when its wam and its only that gear. Im currently running RP 75-90, I got a spare tranny but I would rather change the oil first to see if that alleviates the problem. I figured since it runs better when its COLD, im thinking i should empty some of the 75-90 in there and toss a qt of 75-140 RP in there to ticken it up.

But people are talking about AMSOIL being the shit, only AMSOIL i found out here is 80-90. So Im torn which route I should try.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #87
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

nismoskyz is an unknown quantity at this point
@ineednewtires
could you suggest a particular brand/product though?

with all this talk about amsoil in this thread, I'm considering giving it a shot, but I'd really like to know beforehand if its possible that it will solve my grinding.

@fliprayzin240sx
lol, thats almost exactly the issue I posted about 2 posts up....

other suggestions?
i

(function)(form)^(-1)
nismoskyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #88
Taniguchi_Is_#1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
a change of fluid might be enough in itself. i remember i used to grind 3rd in my s13, but after changing the fluid (from some accidental gl-5 to gl-4) the problem went away. go with any good fluid and if nothing changes, then it's not gonna be solved with oil.
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #89
slider2828
Post Whore!

UPDATE!!! Lol funny you guys are talking about this. Man literally I tried all of the oils, and you NEED Amsoil for tranny.

Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 Product Code: MTGQT-EA

You can order via this site AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic and Manual Transmission Fluid

I don't think they will ship overseas cause its oil maybe? If NONE of you guys can find some I have a local place that carries ALL of the lines of Amsoil. I can get it for you guys pack it and ship it. Place is called Vic Hubbard in Hayward, but like I said I can ship it if you guys can't find it.

Let me know.

I switched to this as I tried to the Sever Gear from Amsoil and this one is better.... I just did it over the weekend. Immediately noticed the difference.....
Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #90
jakerps13
Zilvia Member

jakerps13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to jakerps13
I'll say it to everyone I know who owns a nissan 2.4/2.0 manual trans, Lucas HD 85w-140.

Beats all except in extremely cold weather.