Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

View Poll Results: How ready would you be to swap in a VQ if more information was public, and cheap kits
I would sell my (SR, RB, KA-T) to make it happen ASAP 49 32.03%
I would wait till the economy starts to rise again 17 11.11%
I would weigh the costs vs the risks of having an illegal motor 18 11.76%
I still would not care about swapping a VQ 40 26.14%
I plan on getting a VQ powered car anyways 29 18.95%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #31
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
adapter

harness

Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #32
flclsteve
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
flclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APVz_4rjPIg

do want

flclsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #33
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm also guessing that A/C is no existent with this setup....right?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #34
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
well... with custom lines you can affix ac to anything
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #35
Akiros
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Akiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Akiros
vq30 should be the next big swap in 240's for sure. seriously. I got my 00 vq30 and z33 trans for 600 SHIPPED. decent trans and easily as much power NA as a stock SR. It will just become easier to swap the more people do it.

Yes, I'm interested.
Akiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #36
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I'll just reiterate. Make sure it's CARB legal and you've got a buyer right here for whatever kit you produce.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #37
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
What do you plan to do about NATS?

That's literally the only reason I haven't put my SR up for sale to do VQ-T =P

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #38
Gorilla Unit 33
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Gorilla Unit 33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
What do you plan to do about NATS?

That's literally the only reason
Exactly what I said LOL well almost
Gorilla Unit 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #39
irax
Post Whore!

if you go vq30de-t and you use the 96 maxima ecu, there is not nats
as long as you have the factory dash harness from a vq car, there is nothing special about the NATS wiring.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #40
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
if you go vq30de-t and you use the 96 maxima ecu, there is not nats
as long as you have the factory dash harness from a vq car, there is nothing special about the NATS wiring.
VQ30 will not be legal because the VQ30 was never sold in a RWD configuration in a car in the U.S. It has to be a VQ35 because even if you get VQ35 out of the late model Maxima it will still be legal because Nissan was selling a VQ35 in the G35 and 350Z.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #41
Infamax
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Infamax will become famous soon enoughInfamax will become famous soon enoughInfamax will become famous soon enoughInfamax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
VQ30 will not be legal because the VQ30 was never sold in a RWD configuration in a car in the U.S. It has to be a VQ35 because even if you get VQ35 out of the late model Maxima it will still be legal because Nissan was selling a VQ35 in the G35 and 350Z.
I thought it didn't matter if it was a fwd engine into a rwd car. Isn't it as long as all the emissions of the motor are present and it's a newer motor than the chasis, it's able to be BAR'd? I don't think mounting and and transmission used affect its legality.
Infamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #42
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamax View Post
I thought it didn't matter if it was a fwd engine into a rwd car. Isn't it as long as all the emissions of the motor are present and it's a newer motor than the chasis, it's able to be BAR'd? I don't think mounting and and transmission used affect its legality.
ultimately it is up to the ref. last time I spoke to A ref they said there would be no problem but things may have changed. I am going to go to the local ref again soon and talk to them about it because other things have changed so I want to make sure that fwd as rwd is still a viable option.

Last edited by irax; 02-22-2009 at 12:14 PM..
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #43
firm tofu
Leaky Injector

firm tofu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
only thing arb said was it has to be from a passenger car and retain all emission equipment.
firm tofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #44
flip3d
Zilvia FREAK!

flip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to flip3d
I'm in. I'll get rid of my SR in a heartbeat for a VQ swap.

I don't live in Cali so ref isn't an issue.
flip3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #45
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firm tofu View Post
only thing arb said was it has to be from a passenger car and retain all emission equipment.
emissions equipment like exhaust manifolds and intake manifold...
Old 02-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #46
firm tofu
Leaky Injector

firm tofu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
emissions equipment like exhaust manifolds and intake manifold...
yes, was also told that the motor has to be cali certified as well. as for the wiring, the last rumor i heard was mckinney and jwt were working on the ecu wiring.
firm tofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #47
irax
Post Whore!

JWT has wiring for 96 maxima ecu. The motors arent cali/federal, the ecu is.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #48
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
If this was true then we would all be running Sentra SER SR20DE's(as they are the same vintage and per code the engine has to be same year or newer) in our cars and turbo'ing them. Why are we not? Its on the books in California the motor was never sold in a RWD configuration here and it cannot be bar'd or ref'd for that very reason.

Of course if someone did a money is no object situation Like Joe tried to do get the SR20DET Bar'd it might happen but you would wind up paying the state thousands of dollars to even get them to consider it. In the end making it completely to costly to make it worthwhile.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #49
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
That, and there are enough differences between the FWD and RWD SR blocks to make it really, really impractical.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #50
esqueue
Leaky Injector

esqueue is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
JWT has wiring for 96 maxima ecu. The motors arent cali/federal, the ecu is.
I have a 99 i30 and the manifold and the intake Manifold is different that non cali ones. The FSM shows more differences between cali and other models.
esqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #51
irax
Post Whore!

well... the long blocks are the same, its the peripherals that are different is what i meant.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #52
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
so what are you going to offer?

mounts, driveshaft, shifter relocation, and wiring service?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #53
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
Wasn't one of the main reasons people didn't want to do it was because of the power loss?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #54
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
so what are you going to offer?

mounts, driveshaft, shifter relocation, and wiring service?
mounts, shifter relocation, and local wiring service but wiring information will be made available on the web page. I don't want to offer a drive shaft since there will be multiple depending on which diff you go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangudai View Post
Wasn't one of the main reasons people didn't want to do it was because of the power loss?
it was power loss due to older EMS's not being able to take full advantage of what the motor had to offer. OR power loss due to using the wrong ecu IE VQ30DE-K with out retuning it properly. There is no reason why a vq swapped 240 should not put out as much power as a Z/G/M or Max/Alti/J35 does with the same mods.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #55
Gorilla Unit 33
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Gorilla Unit 33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So yeah what's your plan about solving the nats problem?
Gorilla Unit 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #56
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
rb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
isn't there a lot more to this swap? i remember that guy on 240sx.org was talking about the fuel is different. doesn't use pressure to measure it anymore so you had to change the tank or something like that.
rb25crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #57
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
excuse my newbie question, but what's "nats" ? Some sensor?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #58
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
i know theres places that do plug and play stuff for 2JZ's into S-chassis the wiring service is anywhere from $450-$1000.

I say go for it. any idea of a rough estimate on the price to do it? might be fun.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #59
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14 View Post
excuse my newbie question, but what's "nats" ? Some sensor?
Nissan AntiTheft System but the part you need is called the NVIS which is a little dongle that goes around the ignition lock
Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #60
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Stock Speedo won't work with the VQ swap right cause there is no Speed sensor in the trans.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote