Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

View Poll Results: How ready would you be to swap in a VQ if more information was public, and cheap kits
I would sell my (SR, RB, KA-T) to make it happen ASAP 49 32.03%
I would wait till the economy starts to rise again 17 11.11%
I would weigh the costs vs the risks of having an illegal motor 18 11.76%
I still would not care about swapping a VQ 40 26.14%
I plan on getting a VQ powered car anyways 29 18.95%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #61
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
rb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
do it do it ! i wanna get a smog legal engine in my car that makes more power already =D. plus the sound of a 350z motor is quite nostalgic even in stock form =DDD
rb25crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #62
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
what does that even mean?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #63
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25crazy View Post
isn't there a lot more to this swap? i remember that guy on 240sx.org was talking about the fuel is different. doesn't use pressure to measure it anymore so you had to change the tank or something like that.
Going from a carb'd car to a fuel injected car, you'd need a high-pressure fuel pump. All fuel injected cars have "high pressure" systems though, so no there's nothing you'd need to do fuel-wise (except a higher-flow pump) to prep the car for the swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
Nissan AntiTheft System but the part you need is called the NVIS which is a little dongle that goes around the ignition lock
Are you saying you've got a connector that will trick the car into thinking the 350z/Maxima/etc steering column crap is connected? Or are you saying that you would still need the VQ-car's column?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Stock Speedo won't work with the VQ swap right cause there is no Speed sensor in the trans.
Any workaround for that? I don't use my speedo now, but that is an interesting point...

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #64
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
that column crap bolts on to the 240sx column. so you need the 2 things from the Max/Z/G/M column, NVIS and the ignition lock.

as far as speedo goes there are multiple work aroungs but the simplest is using an abs source and a dakota digital converter.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #65
Gorilla Unit 33
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Gorilla Unit 33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Stock Speedo won't work with the VQ swap right cause there is no Speed sensor in the trans.
an easy fix to that would me to run a s15 rear. Since they have ss in them an then just wire that up if that was the case.
Gorilla Unit 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #66
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Unit 33 View Post
an easy fix to that would me to run a s15 rear. Since they have ss in them an then just wire that up if that was the case.
you will also need the s15 abs computer as well.. but yeah it is very simple compaired to what others think.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #67
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
I was thinking about a VH swap but not having A/C blows. Future customer right here.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #68
vq35hrNismo

Trader Rating: (0)
vq35hrNismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dude thats sick right. wouldn't that mean you can fit the 4.2vq in there? with such a light body damn. in my 240 im going rb though. the vq in the 240 sounds hell mean!!
vq35hrNismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 AM   #69
vq35hrNismo

vq35hrNismo is an unknown quantity at this point
you know..the more i thought about it..(not sure if discussed earlier). i dont think id go with a vq swap. sounding a little heavy.
vq35hrNismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #70
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
What really needs to be done to get this going in cali is someone needs to finish a CARB legal VQ swapped 240SX. Once that happens people will more than likely sell and forget any thoughts about doing an SR swap if they can have something better and legal.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 AM   #71
DrifterE
Leaky Injector

DrifterE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
What really needs to be done to get this going in cali is someone needs to finish a CARB legal VQ swapped 240SX. Once that happens people will more than likely sell and forget any thoughts about doing an SR swap if they can have something better and legal.

That is the damn truth! I'd sell mine in a hearbeat for the legal vq swap, the more I do to my SR the more I would like it to be legal. Then i've always had the VQ swap in the back of my mind. I'm on the lookout for it. And in line if its plug and play, the harness, everything else is cake to get. Maybe not the difficulty, maybe just time. I got a job to keep in this crazy world now.
DrifterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #72
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ The biggest problem I can spot with the whole "smog legal"/passing the ref aspect is the emissions equipment - you have to have the entire emission system from the donor car - meaning when you buy a VQ motorset, you'd then have to junkyard-hunt EVERY piece of emissions equipment (and associated accessories) and install them "in the OEM configuration"... that means not only does each piece have to function as OEM, they have to be sitting in the same places/etc as OEM.

... This is MUCH more difficult than just swapping the motor in, and I imagine that's why you don't see anyone passing the BAR refs with it yet.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 AM   #73
gotspins13
Zilvia Addict

gotspins13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to gotspins13
any info on where to pick up an a vq? and the adapters for the wiring?
im looking to get a list going for prices and such,
gotspins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #74
jzepol1985
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
jzepol1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I don't think any vq's are left on zilvia look on craigslist or your local auto wreckers. It can range anywhere from 2g's and up for a 350z/g35 you can buy a altima/maxima for less but I don't Know if it's more work in the long ru
jzepol1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #75
edsones14
Leaky Injector

edsones14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Would definately do it! Ive considered this swap ever since i saw it done in one of the tuner mags, cant remember which one. I have a g35 and i love the car. If u could put together a swap that is feasable and reliable im in. If u could make it somewhat as easy as an sr swap that would be money.
edsones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #76
LugNut18

Trader Rating: (2)
LugNut18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Now that I picked up another 240, I'm loving this right now. Even though there is already a kit, I would much rather by from a member, especially one who has done the research.
LugNut18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #77
DrifterE
Leaky Injector

DrifterE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
^^^ The biggest problem I can spot with the whole "smog legal"/passing the ref aspect is the emissions equipment - you have to have the entire emission system from the donor car - meaning when you buy a VQ motorset, you'd then have to junkyard-hunt EVERY piece of emissions equipment (and associated accessories) and install them "in the OEM configuration"... that means not only does each piece have to function as OEM, they have to be sitting in the same places/etc as OEM.

... This is MUCH more difficult than just swapping the motor in, and I imagine that's why you don't see anyone passing the BAR refs with it yet.
This would also mean swapping in stuff thats needed from the VQ emissions equipment and making it work together with the KA equipment?
DrifterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #78
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterE View Post
This would also mean swapping in stuff thats needed from the VQ emissions equipment and making it work together with the KA equipment?
No you'd get rid of the KA equipment other than the gas cap.

maybe you could get away with keeping your evap or something like that if they work the same.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #79
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzepol1985 View Post
I don't think any vq's are left on zilvia look on craigslist or your local auto wreckers. It can range anywhere from 2g's and up for a 350z/g35 you can buy a altima/maxima for less but I don't Know if it's more work in the long ru
here is a rwd motor set. 1900! fucking awesome deal!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/23370...d-harness.html

you can get a fwd motor set for 500-900 and spend maybe another 600 to make it rwd compatible and still spend less money by getting my motor mounts
Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #80
poziden
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
poziden is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
im in... msg length
poziden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #81
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterE View Post
That is the damn truth! I'd sell mine in a hearbeat for the legal vq swap, the more I do to my SR the more I would like it to be legal. Then i've always had the VQ swap in the back of my mind. I'm on the lookout for it. And in line if its plug and play, the harness, everything else is cake to get. Maybe not the difficulty, maybe just time. I got a job to keep in this crazy world now.
All I would need to have is proof that it was CARB legal and a write up of some sort that I can do it. No need for plug and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post

^ yeah, it's a total bitch, but the good thing is that there are a select few trying to get this done. Can't wait till one of them does so I can finally dive in on this VQ thing.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #82
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by vq35hrNismo View Post
you know..the more i thought about it..(not sure if discussed earlier). i dont think id go with a vq swap. sounding a little heavy.
Dude, they're hardly heavier than KA's. And they can be placed farther back in the chassis. Way better weight distribution than an RB.

irax,

I will be buying a RWD motor set soon.

If your mounts are out I will buy them asap.

And to everyone else. If you're not worrying about carb stuff, then Haltech makes a full plug-n-play system with harness for $2300.

That's most likely what I'll be getting (Unless I decide to run MoTec for some reason) and then I'm installing an AIMsports Dash.

That way I don't have to worry about sensor compatibility so much.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #83
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Dude, they're hardly heavier than KA's. And they can be placed farther back in the chassis. Way better weight distribution than an RB.

irax,

And to everyone else. If you're not worrying about carb stuff, then Haltech makes a full plug-n-play system with harness for $2300.

That's most likely what I'll be getting (Unless I decide to run MoTec for some reason) and then I'm installing an AIMsports Dash.

or you can use the stock ecm, im working on Irax's wiring at the moment, i plan to make his swap fully functional.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #84
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:

irax,

you could spend $2300 on a stand a lone, and it probably would be a great investment. But unless your spending 10k+ on your engine build you probably are not going to need it. You can tune the stock ecu, and get some neat stuff for less than $2300.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #85
gregfarz78
Zilvia Member

gregfarz78 is on a distinguished road
Interested in seeing if this project takes off, I changed my mind about swapping a VQ for other reasons but I'd still love to see this become a more common/easier swap.

anyone in PA looking for a VQ get in touch with me I got one for sale
gregfarz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #86
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
you could spend $2300 on a stand a lone, and it probably would be a great investment. But unless your spending 10k+ on your engine build you probably are not going to need it. You can tune the stock ecu, and get some neat stuff for less than $2300.
Well if you make an all-inclusive kit, then I'll buy it.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #87
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
I would love to do a good affordable VQ swap. Good power and reliability in one.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #88
johngriff
Post Whore!

johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
If you have the capital and design for the mounts now. Get a production run done in china, cheap metal + economic collapse = least expensive possible manufacturing costs.

Then just wait until next year and start selling the swap equipment.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 AM   #89
irax
Post Whore!

yeah, problem with that is I support local.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #90
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Well if you make an all-inclusive kit, then I'll buy it.
what ecu do you want to use? if you want to use a maxima ecu because their cheaper ill sell you my personal engine harness when you buy a kit.