Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
JurisMyDiction
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
JurisMyDiction is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any respectable inexpensive wheels?

before i go buying a set of sportmax's i have a couple questions... usually, if feedback form almost EVERYBODY is negative about a product, it's cause the thing sucks. so i read up on sportmax's. i see plenty of people call them crappy, yet no substance as to why... searched for a while and they don't seem to be overly heavy, they don't seem to break, and they're not very expensive... so

question 1) why not sportmax?

question 2) for those of you that can't afford 3k wheels like me, what wheels do you run? i don't really want to spend 1k on wheels.

i'll probably end up with those sportmax 962's cause, well, they're attractive, well priced, and staggered. if your'e gonna flame, do so with good info. if what i'm saying sounds stupid, say so, but explain. otherwise, i don't see the reason why people HATE on these wheels so much (is it like the honda/rota thing?)
JurisMyDiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
DataXUnknown
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
DataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
I think sportmax is just waaaaaay to played out. Pretty much anyone who doesn't have enough money to buy good lookin' wheels, either get ROTA or sportmax. Chances are, all of us here on Zilvia will see you rolling on sportmax wheels.

Personally, I don't like the look of a lot of them, but I would imagine there is more to it than just looks and cheap behind the hating of sportmax. Is it considered a knock-off brand?
DataXUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
sportmax, NO.

they're cheap and gross

question 2 - only wheels that are like 3k is like TE's brand new

hardly anyone buys brand new wheels

you can buy nice used sets of COOL wheels for like under 1500

you can also run oem r33 and r34 gtr wheels
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
It's because most of us are tired of the new kids coming in and PROVIDING a market for this cheap SHIT that people sell now.

It used to be about good parts. Now it's about "I don't really want to spend $1000 on wheels."

One of these days soon it's gonna be, "I don't want to spend $500 on wheels...." ..."Oh yeah, but I want them to be light, look cool, and never bend."
Old 12-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
JurisMyDiction
Leaky Injector

all good replies... unfortunatey i AM a noob and i am kinda broke. i'd rather run a nice wide "played out" wheel then something "cool" in like 7inch width. anybody have any suggestions of brands or even specific wheels that thos of us who don't wanna be "mocked" should look at...

always been an FN01RC fan but those seem liek they're getting played too. the enkei's i like are too expensive, catch my drift? maybe if you guys could make some general suggestions i could stray from the noob path and still not break the bank lol
Old 12-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Can't hate on OEM

I like the way Z and G wheels look on 240's. Sure it's not gonna score ya points at HIN, but they are clean and functional. Plus their sizing allows for some decent tires to be used on them.

I bought a set of nice wheels once (Brand new 57 pros)...didn't even install them. I had second thoughts about ruining them, or similar, and opted for Z wheels. haven't looked back since.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
5t341tH
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 5t341tH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It's because most of us are tired of the new kids coming in and PROVIDING a market for this cheap SHIT that people sell now.

It used to be about good parts. Now it's about "I don't really want to spend $1000 on wheels."

One of these days soon it's gonna be, "I don't want to spend $500 on wheels...." ..."Oh yeah, but I want them to be light, look cool, and never bend."
lol forizzle
+1

lexus baby
5t341tH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
JurisMyDiction
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Can't hate on OEM

I like the way Z and G wheels look on 240's. Sure it's not gonna score ya points at HIN, but they are clean and functional. Plus their sizing allows for some decent tires to be used on them.

I bought a set of nice wheels once (Brand new 57 pros)...didn't even install them. I had second thoughts about ruining them, or similar, and opted for Z wheels. haven't looked back since.
just kinda want something around 8.5 or 9" that i can stretch tires on most OEM are between 7 and 8" width, no? i guess i just have to cruise the used forum and see what i come up with. another thing i wanted to stay away from.

also, i'm 4 lug so OEM is pretty limited.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
gx-01, fn01r-c, r33, 350z, mb weapons/battles/competitions.

if you cant afford either of those, find another hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisMyDiction View Post
they're attractive
962s look like shit bro. I would much rather run oem 15x6j.

Last edited by ms!3; 12-07-2009 at 05:53 PM..
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
C-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Just drive with stock wheels, save up till your can affrod something better than Sportmax.
C-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Get the FN01RC's.
They got so played out that nobody has had them for the past couple years.
Falken Hanabis are pretty cheap too, and not too many people have them.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
zylvia213
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (36)
zylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zylvia213
i would say mb battles... they are decent looking w/ decent size and they are affordable. Dude just save up some money for a while then purchase something nice and quality.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
pyshin
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
pyshin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Falken Hanabi's 17x9 +20 offset. Got mine for $500 used with brand new tires

pyshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
Why not go OEM? There are a lot of nice wheels to choose from.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
JurisMyDiction
Leaky Injector

ok i'm liking these options. but what OEM wheels come in 4 lug? i'm not converting for now, just not an option. but i like the options you guys are suggesting.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #16
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Dope wheels and 4 lug doesnt exist. Rota makes a few that are nice.

Ballin on a budget!!!!!

http://zilvia.net/f/wheels-tires/293...5x114-3-a.html
Old 12-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #17
JurisMyDiction
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinnmiami240sx View Post

Ballin on a budget!!!!!

http://zilvia.net/f/wheels-tires/293...5x114-3-a.html

lol those are 5 lug... but yeah i would rock them in 9 in width.

those MB battles are nice that someone suggested earlier and inexpensive as well. i think i will save up for them!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #18
M11's
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
M11's is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what would be a good price to purchase 300zx oem wheels at. i am considering buying some for $250 with 50% Les Swab generic tread, i thought this sounded pretty low.
M11's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
Touge Noob S13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
Touge Noob S13 is making a name for him/her selfTouge Noob S13 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinnmiami240sx View Post

Rotas were never nice. A nice set of meshies like i have are pretty nice and affordable.
Touge Noob S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Don't know how the market is for wheels in your area, but I could get 17" 350Z wheels with tires for less than that here. 300ZX wheels aren't big sellers in SoCal from what I have noticed unless they're really cheap.

A really clean set of 350Z 18" Anniversary wheels (5 Spoke) go anywhere from $350-$500 with tires (What I'm thinking of getting next) and same goes for those G35 18" 7 Spokes. Great sizing on all of these considering they're OEM. Space them out a little and they look great on an S-Chassis.

If you're still 4 lug and looking for a nice set of wheels I would look into 17x9 +20 FNs or Falken Hanabis are nice. Check out RBMotoring.com for their wheel section. They usually have some nice 4 lug sets for a good price.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #21
ryguy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
ryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If all you do is drive the car to the mall and back I don't see how the brand of the wheel matters. If somebody made a wheel that looked like the sportmax 006 in 4x114.3 that was cheaper than Work VS-XX I would buy it, but there's no way I'm paying $4500 for a set of wheels and tires. Oh, and to everybody that complains that people support the sub-$1000 wheel market, it's not like buying used wheels helps out any manufacturer anyways. Also, I should not have to change my hubs to accommodate a wheel manufacturer, they should be accommodating me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisMyDiction View Post
ok i'm liking these options. but what OEM wheels come in 4 lug? i'm not converting for now, just not an option. but i like the options you guys are suggesting.
Sentra SE-R Spec V wheels are the best looking OEM 4 lug IMO, too bad the sizing sucks.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #22
thestreetzking
Zilvia Junkie

thestreetzking is just really nicethestreetzking is just really nicethestreetzking is just really nicethestreetzking is just really nicethestreetzking is just really nicethestreetzking is just really nicethestreetzking is just really nicethestreetzking is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to thestreetzking
one thing I find hilarious. I went to d1 in english town and I can literally say MORE than 50% of the cars were on sportmax wheels. swear to god, even a nice, heavily modified r32 was rocking a set of 962;s

and there are factors for me why I think there ok, the roads where I live are HORRIBLE, not a day I drive where I do not hit a pothole, and no its not my driving, its the way the roads are, some are paved but a lot have that strip in the road thats like 3 feet wide across the whole road that is 2 inches deeper, sometimes coming to a complete stop is not an option. I WISH I lived where some of you guys do, my car is as low as I can go for getting in and out of my drive way and being able to keep aero on, I still have a inch gap between tire and fender.
thestreetzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
O/P:

If you're 4 lug, it's hard to say which way to go. You really would be better off saving for the 5 lug conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy View Post
Sentra SE-R Spec V wheels are the best looking OEM 4 lug IMO, too bad the sizing sucks.
Agreed. Great wheel. I ran them on my turbo Altima

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #24
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
I don't understand how you - OP
- are new to 240s
- are not 5 lug nor plan to be anytime soon
and want to spend money on cheap/knock off wheels

not putting you down, just don't follow the logic
my advice to you would be to drive on a set of stock SE wheels with good tires for a while
save your money and go 5 lug and get a quality set of wheels

I like looking at wheels but it's never been a priority for me
so I took a while - years ago - to hunt down a clean set of R33s
and I've been happy since
that's what I would get if I had a 1k budget to work on (and were 5 lug)
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #25
Nezahualcoyotl
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
^ thats what im currently doing
it would be a lot better to save up for a 5lug conversion then buying affordable oem rims like the ones stated above. also, in the long run it would be easier to swap to bigger brakes and the like if you plan on doing so
Nezahualcoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #26
Touge Noob S13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
Touge Noob S13 is making a name for him/her selfTouge Noob S13 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Nothing wrong with 4-lug
Touge Noob S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #27
AN89HATCH
Zilvia Junkie

AN89HATCH is a well-known jackass
Just do what you want to do and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. So if you like the 962's get them. Honestly they look better than sunken in OEM wheels and I don't care what any one says about that. Buy a 25mm spacer, slam your car, and pull the fenders a little and your set. I had 962's about 2 years ago, and everyone was jocking my car, to the point where it got stolen. The wheels are a bit heavy but, but they are of good quality especially for the price. If your just going to dd the car they're good. Trust me I was glad I had 400 dollar sportmaxes on my car when it was stolen rather than $2-3000 super Jdm wheels. After my experience I'm scared to have expensive wheels now because you always have to worry about people jacking them, and following you home (especially if they are rare). Good luck man.

BTW heres proof they can look good, just depends how you set them up http://zilvia.net/f/chat/216957-spor...-possible.html

I would reccomend 17x9 front 18x9.5 rear with 25 mm spacer all the way around (or 17x9 rear if you want same wheel size). looked good on my car and had decent lip in both front and rear.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #28
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I hate to think of what kind of tires you are thinking about running if you can't afford wheels.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #29
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
generic pic from google, no pics of them on my car, but these imho are the only thing that should ever be put on an S13. Hanabi DT05R's, not sure the cost, but well worth it.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #30
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
they are like 15,000 yen.

cheap cheap.

I don't understand people who buy sportmax wheels.
If you don't have money, you probably have time to wait for a good deal.
Its not like you are going to revolutionize the world, there is no rush, no need to settle for bullshit.
There are numerous (not to mention cheaper) alternatives to sportmax wheels, you just need to take some time to figure this stuff out.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote