Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #31
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-unit View Post
Just drive with stock wheels, save up till your can affrod something better than Sportmax.
this is what i would do PERSONALLY....but who am i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangudai View Post
Why not go OEM? There are a lot of nice wheels to choose from.
if u must have some wheels this...cheap, good to keep forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
I hate to think of what kind of tires you are thinking about running if you can't afford wheels.
scary isnt it
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #32
BoostedCoupe
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
BoostedCoupe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
im with most of these guys in here. i have sportmax 962's and if i wouldnt have gotten them for so cheap i wouldnt have got um. they arent that bad but they are super heavy. just save your money. they do look better than sunk se's tho.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #33
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Craigslist and used wheels are your friends.

Do what I did.

Buy cheap 15" wheels that have good offsets.

Roll on em for a while til you save up more.

Sell the 15" for a profit and use the cash you saved to buy up better stuff.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #34
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayuaddict View Post
If you don't have money, you probably have time to wait for a good deal.
Its not like you are going to revolutionize the world, there is no rush, no need to settle for bullshit.

So true. This should be a sticky for so many things in the car related world.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #35
SilviaAura
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
SilviaAura is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I hate wen ppl act like assholes when they have enough money to buy watever expensive stuff for their cars...but I am a normal person who doesn't live in beverly hills and have a low budget...I have been running 962's for almost 2 years now...I have not yet tracked but I have ran in canyons many times...I love my car and I like the way they look...I do have I think a 10mm spacer on the front to clear my z32 30mm breaks...if I could afford a set of those vs-xx i wold buy them...but I can't...so If you can only afford 962's then by all means get them...bro I am not wealthy and I love my car...
SilviaAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #36
JurisMyDiction
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
JurisMyDiction is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a lot of what you guys say is very understandable. but there are two things many don't realize... it's not that i'm in a rush... the facts are that i don't think a set of wheels should cost substantially more than the car they are on. it's not that i am anxious and the cash is burning a hole in my pocket, it's that i don't wanna put $2k wheels on a $1.5k car. i understand that you get what you pay for but damn i been looking into some of the wheels these guys have suggested and they are actually really nice, and still within my price range. also, i plan on doing some suspension soon so stayin on my current wheels is not an option (sunken steelies with 195's on them) i'm thinking that a set of wheels liek those MB battles would be perfect for my situation, and thus, that's what i am going to buy. i thank everyone for their really good info as it has helped a great deal. some of you guys have cars that are well worth xpensive wheels. this car, however, will be my somewhat daily driver. the wheels will probably brish a curb or two, i may hit a pothole in them, the car will never be "show" quality and thus i want a decently attractive set of wheels that will accent my car well, be wide for stretched tires, and still stay within the budget.

and for theose who asked about tires, i'm thinking a 9 inch wide wheel would look ok with some 215 or 225's... always been a fan of falken ziex and the likes.
JurisMyDiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #37
jspecusa
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
jspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jspecusa
respect is earned not bought.
do the 5 lug swap with NICE brake upgrade before wheels.
being cheap=no respect
Old 12-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #38
wh0aitznic0
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
wh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I liked my 962's when I had them because I could easily replace them and made my car look cool.

Then I went to a meet where every single S13 was on 962's.

I decided to throw them in the garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailandkill View Post
wh0aitznic0 -- has or had a shocker sticker on his car at one point, is asian with a gooey white center

<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Nothing says, 'I'm broke and still trying', like aftermarket steelies.
wh0aitznic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #39
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayuaddict View Post
they are like 15,000 yen.

cheap cheap.

I don't understand people who buy sportmax wheels.
If you don't have money, you probably have time to wait for a good deal.
Its not like you are going to revolutionize the world, there is no rush, no need to settle for bullshit.
There are numerous (not to mention cheaper) alternatives to sportmax wheels, you just need to take some time to figure this stuff out.
False statement, find me one set of wheels that FIT for less then 400$. You cannot do it. Used or not.Wont happen, my sport maxes cost me 275$ brand new.(15's)

I understand that paying more for wheels is normal but it is very difficult to find wheels that FIT for less much less then 1500$ its just what it cost. Its a shame that volk,rays,enkies and others dont try to have better prices though. If they were anywhere close in price i woulda had them years ago.

So the way i see it, sportmaxes are a good alternative to stock wheels. They look decent, they are inexpensive, and i dont see them falling apart so they work fine. If you cannot understand a product that is inexpensive and performs well, then you do not understand what value is. Guys that only buy japanese parts have prolly spent thousands more then someone who hasnt, im poor and would rather drive my car buy tires.

If we could have a blind comparsion i would love to see what ppl would say then. If sportmax had a new wheel and we compared it to any Major wheel manufacturer many would be hard pressed not to consider sporty max. Im an American its almost impossible to boycott China,maylasia,tiwain made items. So if its a decent product ill consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
Craigslist and used wheels are your friends.

Do what I did.

Buy cheap 15" wheels that have good offsets.

Roll on em for a while til you save up more.

Sell the 15" for a profit and use the cash you saved to buy up better stuff.
^^ WERD, thats what im doing. But i still think sport maxes are fine. Nothing special but they work.
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #40
JurisMyDiction
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post
respect is earned not bought.
do the 5 lug swap with NICE brake upgrade before wheels.
being cheap=no respect
previous owner has upgraded brakes on it supposedly, just didn't convert it to 5 lug. i can't see what's goin on with the breaks cause the car has steelies on it and i've only had it for a couple days but it stops NICEly
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #41
Nezahualcoyotl
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
have you checked the condition of the car? like fluids, under the car, suspension components and the like?
Nezahualcoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #42
JurisMyDiction
Leaky Injector

yeah. all fluids are good. everything else is good. power steering high pressure hose has a tiny leak, i work about 4 minutes from my house and been driving with the car back and forth every day for almost a week. the motor is VERY strong (ka24e with about 85k on it) needs some new stuff though like e-brake cable which is pretty much at the max stretch (junkyard) speedo and gas gauge don't work, headlights are a little crazy (they go up fine but only go back down when the feel liek it) it has no radio, ac needs charging, interior is VERY clean (could use seats and some weather stripping, and the molding for the radio is broken)

suspension has pretty much gotta go. i figure coilovers, pillows, and maybe a full bushing set.

the guy says the car has omplete set of energy bushings but i don't see any on the suspension itself, just on the subframe components.

couple light rust spots on the bumper supports but nowhere too important

all in all i love the POS though. just needs a lot of... stuff. hence why i'm budgeting. i have my dakota for now (4.7 v8, quad cab) and that gets about 13-14 to the gallon. i'd liek to have osmething that's fun that i can also save a couple dollars on gas, hence the 240. i've always had cars and when i bought the truck it really left something lacking...

ok enough threadjacking myself.

i'm thinking i'm going to look into doing a 5 lug conversion as they are going for about 300. if i play my cards right does anyone find it unrealistic to get into coilovers and used wheels for under 2k? maybe with the conversion just about 2k.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #43
240sxxs
Zilvia Member

240sxxs is an unknown quantity at this point
lol....Get MB battle...they nice, cheap , and strong... Not like ROTA or SPortmax
Old 12-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #44
Nezahualcoyotl
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
if you got 2k to spend then it is possible to find good used coilovers or new ones for a nice price, and a good set of wheels and tires maybe even a 5lug conversion if you spend it correctly.

a good set of wheels with the right offset combined with good coilovers is about all thats needed for a daily. much luck
Nezahualcoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #45
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
i would just go 5 lug. You will have way more wheel choices/options and I think you will be glad you did later down the road.

I did my conversion and I just scooped up a pair of a staggered set of twin turbo 300zx wheels just to roll on for a while. But you can pick up a set of 17 or even 18" 350z/G35 wheels that look fresh with a clean drop. If I were you, I would do the 5 lug conversion and keep a sharp eye out for some 18" G35 coupe wheels.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #46
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13dan View Post
If we could have a blind comparsion i would love to see what ppl would say then. If sportmax had a new wheel and we compared it to any Major wheel manufacturer many would be hard pressed not to consider sporty max. Im an American its almost impossible to boycott China,maylasia,tiwain made items. So if its a decent product ill consider it.
i sure can boycott their heavy ass wheels\/
18x9.5 sportmax 962 - 32.1 lbs
compared to \/
18x9.5 SSR Type-C - 17.7 lbs
18x9.5 enkei rpf1 - 18.6 lbs

light wheels feel sooo much better, especially in a low powered car.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:03 AM   #47
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
if you don't have the money to even go 5 lug

then cars are NOT FOR YOU
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 AM   #48
urmyhero4now
Zilvia Junkie

urmyhero4now has a brilliant futureurmyhero4now has a brilliant futureurmyhero4now has a brilliant futureurmyhero4now has a brilliant futureurmyhero4now has a brilliant futureurmyhero4now has a brilliant futureurmyhero4now has a brilliant futureurmyhero4now has a brilliant futureurmyhero4now has a brilliant futureurmyhero4now has a brilliant futureurmyhero4now has a brilliant future
probably already said but used it for people without the funds right now for new..If you dont have that...cars is not the hobby for ya man.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #49
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
C-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
^ thanks very much...you are driving the cheapest modifying car in the market yet..you are still on a budget.
C-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #50
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
great base priced wheels...

350 - 400 is reasonable enough if you have a decent job and can save for 2 months.
diamond steelies are a good last resort.
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #51
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
lastly... finding a good jdm import service ( or ask yokota180sx ) is a great way to import some wheels. volks and works are much cheaper in 'yahoo japan' auctions.

charge it to the game
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 AM   #52
Ameer
Zilvia Member

Ameer is making a name for him/her selfAmeer is making a name for him/her self
Hands down if you don't have $$$ for wheels, then don't think about upgrading.

There are used JDM wheels everywhere that are 4x114.3 and are staggered.

Check out craigslist, ebay, HERE ON ZILVIA, rbmotoring and other websites.
Ameer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #53
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
I don't understand some peoples mentality.

"I'm not rich or make lots of money like some of you guys."

Shit, I'm not either.

My "dream wheels" were VS-XX.

Guess what, after a few short months of saving up(not that I couldn't have come up with the money faster, but my cars aren't my number one priority) I got my "dream wheels".

Now, I'm shopping for a new set of wheels to rock on my daily.

I have my eyes set on a brand new TE37's.

I'm more than half way there.

There's no need to rush into it.

Also hate when people say "why buy wheels that are worth more than the car?".

Pretty fucking stupid.

You're dealing with a chassis that's practically 20 years old.

Sooner or later, Sportcrap wheels will be worth more than S-chassis.

I have so much shit on both of my cars that's worth MORE than the car itself. Hell, the paint job getting done to my project car is costing me MORE than what I paid for the car.

If you actually gave a shit about your car, you wouldn't be buying this cheap shit to begin with.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:32 AM   #54
boosted98gst
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
boosted98gst has a brilliant futureboosted98gst has a brilliant futureboosted98gst has a brilliant futureboosted98gst has a brilliant futureboosted98gst has a brilliant futureboosted98gst has a brilliant futureboosted98gst has a brilliant futureboosted98gst has a brilliant futureboosted98gst has a brilliant futureboosted98gst has a brilliant futureboosted98gst has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boosted98gst
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post

Shit, I'm not either.

Guess what, after a few short months of saving up(not that I couldn't have come up with the money faster, but my cars aren't my number one priority) I got my "dream wheels".

Pretty fucking stupid.

I have so much shit on both of my cars that's worth MORE than the car itself. Hell, the paint job getting done to my project car is costing me MORE than what I paid for the car.

If you actually gave a shit about your car, you wouldn't be buying this cheap shit to begin with.

Ding Ding Ding.

If you are 18-21 are spending every buck into your car, maybe you should drop that money into school or just save it? I am not def not here to tell you what to do, but if your sick of making XX amount and your bitching about being "poor" then do something about it. People who buy cheap shit are the ones who are making the car game fucking terrible. Most japanese companys do not even want a part of the US market because its flooded with knockoff SHIT, thats the sad part. Good companys loosing business or moving, and china Hong kong parts moving in with 33 LB wheel on every 240 from east to west.
boosted98gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #55
slothonaleash
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
slothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Diamond Racing. They're not cool looking, but you can get them in crazy offsets. 100 bucks a wheel on average. If you're not going for a 'steelie' look, save your money up
slothonaleash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #56
JurisMyDiction
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
i would just go 5 lug. You will have way more wheel choices/options and I think you will be glad you did later down the road.

I did my conversion and I just scooped up a pair of a staggered set of twin turbo 300zx wheels just to roll on for a while. But you can pick up a set of 17 or even 18" 350z/G35 wheels that look fresh with a clean drop. If I were you, I would do the 5 lug conversion and keep a sharp eye out for some 18" G35 coupe wheels.
also a very good idea. anywhere to find all the specs for OEM wheels?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #57
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisMyDiction View Post
also a very good idea. anywhere to find all the specs for OEM wheels?
google.....?

ever tried it?
garagelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #58
kris
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kris is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post

Shit, I'm not either.

Pretty fucking stupid.

^^^this.

My car was 50 bucks to start with... a tank of gas cost more than it did. You don't buy spendy wheels cause cars are a great investment, its a hobby.

Find some used wheels but even them a nice set of anything is gonna be 800+ no tires but being patient and looking you will find a set of something that's very nice.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #59
jholman05
Zilvia Member

jholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to jholman05
It sounds like you need to spend money on fixing things that are broke first.

But what do I know.
jholman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #60
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge Noob S13 View Post
Nothing wrong with 4-lug
yea put tommy redrilled those wheels to 4 lug. i think the nicest 4 lug wheels i've seen for sale on here were those weds cerebrus' (white zenki guy)

to the OP, if i was in ur position i'd just roll stock wheels for now and save. After u get sportmax u'd probably like them for a while and want something else later. Then u have to sell sportmax which have horrible resale values =(
nathanong87 is offline   Reply With Quote