Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #61
Ka24Power
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
Ka24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
B.I.N.G.O.

R32 GTR calipers and rotors (brand new Nissan rotors, actually)

These look so much cooler than any of the Z32 brakes.

HOT BRAKES. HOT LOOKS.

clearcorners.com
Unnhhhh Same setup as me, no fancy red lettering though.

Ka24Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #62
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Do they cost more?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #63
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Yes they do. They're considered an upgrade for the z32

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #64
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
How much of an upgrade? How do they compare to say 350z brembos?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #65
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
They're definitely smaller than 350Z brembos and they cost less too, but still a decent upgrade.
Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #66
Nintensity
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
Nintensity is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintoans13 View Post
I always get my front rebuild kit from courtesyparts.com When I first rebuilt my z32 calipers yrs ago they also sold the rear rebuild kit, havent been able to find a set for quite sometime now, if you have any luck finding some please
post where you got em!!!
I realized I can get them all here:

Brake Caliper Rebuild Kits
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #67
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
Yes they do. They're considered an upgrade for the z32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
i never considered them a worth-while option because like most Z32 owners, most GTR owners have always told me negative things about the OE brakes.

do they work well on S-chassis? i would say yes. How much better than Z32? probably not much.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #68
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Well, the rotors are 296mm and 32mm thick so they have more swept area and the vanes are canted so they suck air through them. Coooling is def more efficient than z32 brakes. I could see how the R32 gt-r could make them fade faster because of the extra weight. I had them on my s14 and never had brake fade issues. I don't know how they compare to 350z brembos coz I never looked into those.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #69
Nintensity
Zilvia Junkie

I'm not sure whether or not I should split my calipers in half before powdercoat. Therefore the bolts will be powdercoated during the process. I guess it's not a big deal since the bolts are facing the back of the calipers, it wouldn't really matter.

I'm still in the process of sanding my other rear caliper since the previous owner spraypainted it black using shitty paint (it's chipping off.) i'd figure that sanding the front of the caliper only and leaving the back as-is should be okay, since the front will only show...

I don't know, What do you think I should do?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #70
k.man
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
k.man is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintensity View Post

I'm still in the process of sanding my other rear caliper since the previous owner spraypainted it black using shitty paint (it's chipping off.) i'd figure that sanding the front of the caliper only and leaving the back as-is should be okay, since the front will only show...

Why don't you get the powder coating guys to sandblast the calipers..

and the whole issue about separating the calipers. IMO id just leave them together because I have aluminum ones and aluminum material at times can be hassle if handled improperly plus I'm really anal when it comes to bolting shit back up to FSM torque specs.

hopefully the inner seals holds up to the oven temperature the coating guys put it through.

oh and just to give a little idea about pricing. I gave my local powder coating guys in toronto a call and they gave me this:

$20 per caliper using their black paint.

he told me to come in and get a quote for custom colours.
k.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #71
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
I like where this is going!
For a cheap fix I'm pretty sure you can get caliper specific paint for cheap at the local auto parts store.
And as far as splitting the calipers to paint them, it really is entirely unnecessary. You can paint them just as well put together as you can split in half, might as well just save yourself the extra time and leave em together. Is there any harm in taking them apart? I couldn't really tell you, but will keeping them together save you time and yield the same results? Yup.
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #72
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
please read the whole thread instead of turning this into a questions thread, and OP you should start quoting good information and putting it in the first post so all of the herp derps of zilvia will not ask a question that has been BEAT TO DEATH on page 2 of this thread in page 3.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #73
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintensity View Post

Sanding to strip old paint off calipers has to suck...

If you can't get them sandblasted why not mask the rubber pieces and use paint stripper?
That's what I always use... just make sure you use the stuff outside with a breeze. It's pretty toxic.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #74
Mesarina
Zilvia Member

Mesarina is an unknown quantity at this point
Translucent Blue on Sandblasted Aluminum castings...

Mesarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #75
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
i would say that your calipers look nice if it wasnt for those shitty wheel adapters and bullshit washer/dryer exhaust flex pipe thats fucking zip-tied and crunched like a chewed on straw
Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #76
Backintoans13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Backintoans13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I'm sure someone else can chime in but I haven't dealt with a powder coater locally or online that will even attempt to powder coat calipers unless tooken apart completely. Every company I have dealt with have specifically asked to have the calipers broken down. Again.... no one is right or wrong on whether calipers should be seperated or not but I've done em whether iron or aluminum, majority of them aluminum and will continue to do em, to each his own
Backintoans13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #77
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
I'm sure someone else can chime in but I haven't dealt with a powder coater locally or online that will even attempt to powder coat calipers unless tooken apart completely. Every company I have dealt with have specifically asked to have the calipers broken down. Again.... no one is right or wrong on whether calipers should be seperated or not but I've done em whether iron or aluminum, majority of them aluminum and will continue to do em, to each his own
you know

its almost like this forum has mentally retarded individuals on it.

i asked the questions, no one answered. instead of having a technical discussion with facts, we get idiots repeating the same gaddamn thing.

ITS ALREADY STATED IN THE FSM - DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE CALIPERS

WHEN YOU DISASSEMBLE THE HALVES, YOU RISK STRIPPING THREADS DUE TO BINDING THE ALUM W/ STEEL BOLTS

WHEN YOU DISASSEMBLE, WE DONT HAVE PROPER TORQUE VALUES

no one seems to give a fuck or answer these questions. powdercoaters are no different than fucking painters, are they engineers? no, they fucking sand-blast, spray, and heat things... thats their job.

FYI, I've spoken to Brembo direct about disassembling their calipers and they dont even suggest taking the pistons apart. I think thats a bit far-fetched, but it should be common sense based on the above risks that disassembling the halves is not a good idea.

Now, how hard is it to soak them in solvent, then air blast the channels to ensure the brake fluid is removed from them? not hard at all.

stupid idiots
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #78
Nintensity
Zilvia Junkie

I just sent my z32 calipers in to get sandblasted and powdercoated! Now the waiting begins

I'm thinking a mint-green (seafoam green) color! Hope it looks good!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #79
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
you know

i asked the questions, no one answered. instead of having a technical discussion with facts, we get idiots repeating the same gaddamn thing.

WHEN YOU DISASSEMBLE THE HALVES, YOU RISK STRIPPING THREADS DUE TO BINDING THE ALUM W/ STEEL BOLTS

no one seems to give a fuck or answer these questions. powdercoaters are no different than fucking painters, are they engineers? no, they fucking sand-blast, spray, and heat things... thats their job.

FYI, I've spoken to Brembo direct about disassembling their calipers and they dont even suggest taking the pistons apart. I think thats a bit far-fetched, but it should be common sense based on the above risks that disassembling the halves is not a good idea.

Now, how hard is it to soak them in solvent, then air blast the channels to ensure the brake fluid is removed from them? not hard at all.

stupid idiots
LOL awesome. Reading skillz ftw

Old 05-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #80
Ka24Power
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
Ka24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Y'all are a bunch of pussies if you're afraid to disassemble.

I've taken apart 4 sets, rebuilt and powder coated, and run on my own car. Why do you think rebuild kits are available..?

Also - if you follow the "don't disassemble" that the FSM preaches then you better make sure your camber, caster, toe don't go out of spec.
Ka24Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #81
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka24Power View Post

I've taken apart 4 sets, rebuilt and powder coated, and run on my own car. Why do you think rebuild kits are available..?

Also - if you follow the "don't disassemble" that the FSM preaches then you better make sure your camber, caster, toe don't go out of spec.
You can easily rebuild it all together...
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #82
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Since when does anyone on zilvia follow the fsm? They all use zipties. So what, take them apart because yolo? lol

Old 05-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #83
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ch1873857
Quote:
you know

stupid idiots
are you done posting this bullshit yet?
for those that need graphical representation of what hes trying to say

on the flipside. nissan sells rebuild kits for these including the o rings that go in between the 2 halves so.......

oh and stfu about brembo what does that have anything to do with oem nissan shit?
ch1873857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #84
Backintoans13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Backintoans13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka24Power View Post

Bro....that ixfxi character has built hundreds of calipers not just a couple so your four sets don't mean shit, neither do the sets that I have built lol what I do know is that none of my disassembled rebuilt calipers have ever failed on me....just sayin
Backintoans13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #85
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Bro....that ixfxi is a character
He is a character, that much we can be sure of

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #86
Mesarina
Zilvia Member

Quote:
i would say that your calipers look nice if it wasnt for those shitty wheel adapters and bullshit washer/dryer exhaust flex pipe thats fucking zip-tied and crunched like a chewed on straw
I got the car with the wheels spacers already, now I have mb battles with 5 lug conversion without spacers and z33 discs in the front... the "washer/drye" was used for cooling my brakes, I actually race the car, not just drifting, showing, parking stuff...

this was with the spacers and the wheels that came with the car..

Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #87
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
those are some of the best pictures ive seen on this website in a long long time...Way to get out there and use the car for road racing.

btw, youre off line in the second picture haha (just giving you shit, not trying to be mean)
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #88
Mesarina
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
those are some of the best pictures ive seen on this website in a long long time...Way to get out there and use the car for road racing.

btw, youre off line in the second picture haha (just giving you shit, not trying to be mean)
lol.. Thanks, I did took apart the calipers for painting..
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #89
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1873857 View Post
are you done posting this bullshit yet?
for those that need graphical representation of what hes trying to say
on the flipside. nissan sells rebuild kits for these including the o rings that go in between the 2 halves so.......oh and stfu about brembo what does that have anything to do with oem nissan shit?
i never found a part number for the caliper halve o-rings, post it up. there are vendors that sell them but I believe they just found some viton seals off of mcmaster or something like that.

what does brembo have to do with oem nissan shit? well fuck-face, considering brembo makes calipers for a good majority of OE applications, i'de say their advice should be listened to. Who makes the OE z32 calipers? Sumitomo. Who makes the OE z33 track calipers? Brembo. NISSAN sells rebuild kits for both z32 and z33 calipers, but never the halve o-rings.

anyway, its stupid.. we're getting hung on details and idiots here will never listen to advice. I believe I made a mistake taking a few pairs apart years ago, and I admit it. Stubborn idiots here wont ever admit shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
He is a character, that much we can be sure of
"Just because you ARE a character, doesnt mean you HAVE character"
Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #90
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Best movie of all time!

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote