Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #121
420sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
^^ this guys from texas

man hes just not understanding the RISK involved with turning that bolt. too much for this texan to understand, i guess.
ok. cool? you still dont get it. greek hick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mCMF222IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
There's always a risk with completely dissembling a lot of things. I disassemble interiors all day long every day. There's always a chance for a clip to break, a panel to crack/break etc. But that doesn't keep me from doing it. I completely broke down my Z32's and Stoptechs. Even re-plated every bolt and all hardware. I had zero issues. However, if one of the bolts would of stripped out on the Z32 halve, then I would of bought another caliper if I couldn't re-tap it. It's no different than doing an engine swap or simply taking an engine out of the bay. The lift could fail, something in the bay could get scratched when putting the engine back in... you name it. But we all still do it... it's a risk we are willing to take. What I have taken from this thread so far is that a lot more people have had success breaking them down over people that have had issues.
Best answer given.

some simple black metallic and pearl.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #122
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
He's got brembo fronts.... this is for the rear.... dual caliper cuz hydro e-brake.
Ah gotcha.
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #123
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
There's always a risk with completely dissembling a lot of things. I disassemble interiors all day long every day. There's always a chance for a clip to break, a panel to crack/break etc. But that doesn't keep me from doing it. I completely broke down my Z32's and Stoptechs. Even re-plated every bolt and all hardware. I had zero issues. However, if one of the bolts would of stripped out on the Z32 halve, then I would of bought another caliper if I couldn't re-tap it. It's no different than doing an engine swap or simply taking an engine out of the bay. The lift could fail, something in the bay could get scratched when putting the engine back in... you name it. But we all still do it... it's a risk we are willing to take. What I have taken from this thread so far is that a lot more people have had success breaking them down over people that have had issues.
i was going to lay into you earlier about this Toby, but got sidetracked

your post makes no fucking sense. how the fuck are you comparing interior panels with brake calipers? and remind me how an interior piece can jeopardize your safety? iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidiots.

a brake caliper is one of the most, if not the most important safety device on a vehicle - if it does not operate properly then you're shit out of luck. i'de be surprised if people on zilvia even own/know how to use a torque wrench, let alone how to pressure test a caliper. there is a HUGE difference between a brake caliper not rebuilt to proper specs

vs

a motor not working properly
a scratched engine bay
a fucking interior panel clip breaking

so get back to the subject at hand: unless you can disassemble the caliper without ANY risks of threads seizing, then dont disassemble the caliper halves. again, we're not talking pistons... we're talking halves.

furthermore, lets say material did seize... by re-tapping you're further compounding the problem because you're removing more material which means less clamping force. and to boot, not one person has suggested a proper torque value for those bolts. all we have is "well i did it, rebuilt them... they worked fine." thats not 100% solid. toby, i have no beef with you... but if you're hard-parking your car, i cant imagine the calipers ever giving you any problems. i dont claim to be mr track racer, but i did take my car w/ z32 brakes to the track a couple of times... and to the canyons almost every couple days for YEARS.

whatever.... we're way off topic and on top of that.... i'de like to close my argument by saying the guy below can lick the sweat from my balls. thank you, and have a nice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420sx View Post
ok. cool? you still dont get it. greek hick.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #124
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
whatever.... we're way off topic and on top of that.... i'de like to close my argument by saying the guy below can lick the sweat from my balls. thank you, and have a nice day.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #125
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
I painted mine pink, I should post a picture because they are super cooler looking meow.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #126
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:

your post makes no fucking sense. how the fuck are you comparing interior panels with brake calipers? and remind me how an interior piece can jeopardize your safety? iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidiots.

a brake caliper is one of the most, if not the most important safety device on a vehicle - if it does not operate properly then you're shit out of luck. i'de be surprised if people on zilvia even own/know how to use a torque wrench, let alone how to pressure test a caliper. there is a HUGE difference between a brake caliper not rebuilt to proper specs

vs

a motor not working properly
a scratched engine bay
a fucking interior panel clip breaking

so get back to the subject at hand: unless you can disassemble the caliper without ANY risks of threads seizing, then dont disassemble the caliper halves. again, we're not talking pistons... we're talking halves.

furthermore, lets say material did seize... by re-tapping you're further compounding the problem because you're removing more material which means less clamping force. and to boot, not one person has suggested a proper torque value for those bolts. all we have is "well i did it, rebuilt them... they worked fine." thats not 100% solid. toby, i have no beef with you... but if you're hard-parking your car, i cant imagine the calipers ever giving you any problems. i dont claim to be mr track racer, but i did take my car w/ z32 brakes to the track a couple of times... and to the canyons almost every couple days for YEARS.

In the words of Iron Man: "MY TURN!"

You have never mentioned this "safety" thing before!?! I went back and read all of your posts... the word safety never pops up. Now you are acting like you have been preaching safety the whole thread. Hence why I compared it to the things I did. You simply said don't break them down because you might strip a bolt/halve. I assumed you were simply stating not to disassemble them because of the hassle or cost that may ensue. So how is a stripped bolt/halve a safety concern? Go buy another fucking caliper... problem solved! I would only re-thread it if maybe one of the last threads was the culprit.... I'm not an "idiot" as you so eloquently put it. I'm not going to re-tap the whole damn thing. I guess that's my fault because I said "re-tap"... I meant re-thread. As for torque specs, it's just two chunks of aluminum sandwiched together.... so you should be able to get really close to the proper torque spec by taking into consideration bolt diameter, bolt length, bolt material, TPI and the material it is being threaded into.

So let's say you don't get the exact right torque spec... are you worried that the bolts are going to back out? Are you worried about the caliper leaking? Why are you slamming down the safety card so hard? If a caliper leaks, fix it. It would be a such a minor leak that's it's not going to cause your entire braking system to fail. If the bolts back out then the person is moron and only hand tightened them. If you over torque a bolt and it breaks then go buy another caliper. I guess I'm just not following your harsh stance on this subject. Maybe I'm just stubborn and think that I can fix or replace anything.

Like I said, I have never seen anyone have safety issues after reassembling caliper halves "properly".

I'd like to close my argument by saying the guy below me is entitled to 10% off any product I carry... custom fabrication exempt.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #127
sidewayz240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
LOUD NOISES!!

Pictures of cool calipers would be sweet.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #128
Vaevictus

Vaevictus is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a set (f+r) of 26mm Aluminum Z32 Calipers for sale, with (f+r) Z1 Motorsports rebuild kits and four Russell speed bleeders. Pm for info and pics
Vaevictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #129
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Mike there's no use. Some people follow the fsm and some don't. You can't force people to. End of story.

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #130
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Sometimes you just gotta lead rather than follow

But in all seriousness, I'm just trying to figure out why you and Mike are so hell bent on your stance. So far no one has posted in here that has had issues. And in my 20+ years of modding cars, along with all of my friends that have done the same, not one single person has had issues after breaking down calipers. And if I did have an issue, I would know right away and fix the problem... I'm not going to put a faulty caliper back on my car. I guess I'm just surprised that you and Mike, whom both mod their vehicles, feel this way. And since when is the FSM the official rule book to modding cars? At some point the damn things had to be assembled. Why is out of the question that they can't be broken down and reassembled again?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #131
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
It's called peace of mind Toby. I just don't feel comfy doing that. Don't hate me for it

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #132
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
It's called peace of mind Toby. I just don't feel comfy doing that. Don't hate me for it
I'll give you that. I guess my job has made me too ballsy. I'm not afraid to do or tackle anything when it comes to tearing apart or modding cars... be it good or bad.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #133
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
Quote:
i was going to lay into you earlier about this Toby, but got sidetracked by fantasy of getting my balls licked by a dude

thank you, and have a nice day.
......... i always knew you we
Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #134
420sx
Post Whore!

Quote:
I guess my job has made me too ballsy.

enough balls in this thread..... lmao.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #135
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
this thread is fucking terrible.
Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #136
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by revat619 View Post
this thread is fucking terrible.
i concur.

-painted calipers are nice, but the point of the thread was for people to post powdercoated calipers.

-bickering about disassembling/not disassembling the calipers. if you're trying to disassemble brake calipers with an air gun you need to have your tools taken away IMO. but whatever, it's your parts, work with them however you want.

seriously just post some nicely coated calipers, fuckers
upsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #137
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
I agree with Mike here. But if Toby handed me a set of calipers he disassembled and reassembled I wouldn't hesitate to put them on my car. Toby's judgement is sound. But if anyone else did so, I wouldn't even bother!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #138
Briou
Zilvia Member

Briou is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are mine...powder coated wrinkle red....completely disassembled them and put them back together with no problems...
Briou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #139
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
/\/\/\ that looks good. I had my valve cover done in wrinkle red. The only downside is it is hard to clean.
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #140
s13love-green
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (50)
s13love-green is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
if your gona argue keep it clean state ur arguement no bad words
this thread is for pics not ur silly macho man talk we got more of that then pics so lets post some pics up
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #141
s13love-green
Post Whore!

Used a torque gun to take apart rear calipers (aluminum) n no strip
Now time to powder coat
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #142
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ch1873857
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13love-green View Post
Used a torque gun to take apart rear calipers (aluminum) n no strip
Now time to powder coat
i want you to film yourself putting them back together. live stream it on this thread so we can all laugh at you.
ch1873857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #143
s13love-green
Post Whore!

Haha u make it seem like success rate is 0%
Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #144
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ch1873857
put them back together with an impact.. do it..
ch1873857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #145
s13love-green
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1873857 View Post
put them back together with an impact.. do it..
Just for u ill do it ....
Old 05-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #146
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13love-green View Post
if your gona argue keep it clean state ur arguement no bad words
go fuck yourself

toby and i have no beef. when people talk on zilvia its like talking a pub, say what you gotta say without this politically correct nonsense.. fuck that, we have enough of that shit in society. what, do we need to be courteous for the 3% of female car enthusiasts on this forum? fuck them too, if they dont like hanging with the boys then move on.

or maybe i should just be proper so that i dont offend anyone. okay, i'll give it a shot:

Sir Toby, you make an excellent argument and i do concur, that it is just a mechanical part and that there is no rule that says a brake caliper, or any other mechanical part for that matter, cannot be disassembled. However, the factory service manual is an excellent resource and a fine example of engineering knowledge written by professionals with years of experience hence, their words should not be taken lightly. The major factor is the risk involved, whence the risk out-weighs the monetary loss of a seized caliper. Furthermore, without proper torque specs there is no concrete or sure-fire way to equally seat the caliper halves which deal with opposing forces, and i for one can easily imagine this causing a myriad of problems from warping to uneven pad wear as these parts are constantly heat-cycled. It would be further advisable during a rebuild process to pressure test each individual caliper to ensure that they are capable of sustaining a certain level of pressure without any leakage. All of these steps should be done with care before a part of this criticality or magnitude if you will, is considered fully rebuilt and safe for sale.

As a professional with over a decade of engineering and business experience, fully believe it is of utmost importance that business owners conduct themselves in a professional manner thereby adhering to the highest standards when it comes to building and/or refinishing products for their customers, especially when in this case we are dealing with safety devices whereby their durability and reliability is of utmost importance. In closing, this is why i personally believe business owners must follow a conservative philosophy where certain risks should never jeopardize the safety of the individual.

Thank you, have a nice day and GO FUCK YOURSELVES
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #147
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Mike, classic LOL....
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #148
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
You could take each one of Mike's paragraph-long posts and frame them on a wall for a good laugh now and again.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #149
420sx
Post Whore!

fuck yea. no bullshit.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #150
s13love-green
Post Whore!

Quote:
go fuck yourself

toby and i have no beef. when people talk on zilvia its like talking a pub, say what you gotta say without this politically correct nonsense.. fuck that, we have enough of that shit in society. what, do we need to be courteous for the 3% of female car enthusiasts on this forum? fuck them too, if they dont like hanging with the boys then move on.

or maybe i should just be proper so that i dont offend anyone. okay, i'll give it a shot:

Sir Toby, you make an excellent argument and i do concur, that it is just a mechanical part and that there is no rule that says a brake caliper, or any other mechanical part for that matter, cannot be disassembled. However, the factory service manual is an excellent resource and a fine example of engineering knowledge written by professionals with years of experience hence, their words should not be taken lightly. The major factor is the risk involved, whence the risk out-weighs the monetary loss of a seized caliper. Furthermore, without proper torque specs there is no concrete or sure-fire way to equally seat the caliper halves which deal with opposing forces, and i for one can easily imagine this causing a myriad of problems from warping to uneven pad wear as these parts are constantly heat-cycled. It would be further advisable during a rebuild process to pressure test each individual caliper to ensure that they are capable of sustaining a certain level of pressure without any leakage. All of these steps should be done with care before a part of this criticality or magnitude if you will, is considered fully rebuilt and safe for sale.

As a professional with over a decade of engineering and business experience, fully believe it is of utmost importance that business owners conduct themselves in a professional manner thereby adhering to the highest standards when it comes to building and/or refinishing products for their customers, especially when in this case we are dealing with safety devices whereby their durability and reliability is of utmost importance. In closing, this is why i personally believe business owners must follow a conservative philosophy where certain risks should never jeopardize the safety of the individual.

Thank you, have a nice day and GO FUCK YOURSELVES
Lmao waste of time ^ didn't bother reading it