Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #691
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
any sheet metal will do and mix the bondo thoroughly
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #692
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
If u do my method u use no bondo- actually it's called body filler not bondo. If u want a shave look then use some 18 gauge steel even thinner 20 gauge but it's up to u. Then weld it, but don't weld continuously, if u do u will warp the metal. From my experience do spot welds then shave them off as best as possible then apply body filler the less the better
Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #693
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Jeff do u soder each connection? Or crimp? I know oem crimps all connections if not mistaken
Old 12-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #694
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
Jeff do u soder each connection? Or crimp? I know oem crimps all connections if not mistaken
That all depends on the cheapness of the person paying j/k
Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #695
anthonyr sil8ty
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
anthonyr sil8ty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
If u do my method u use no bondo- actually it's called body filler not bondo. If u want a shave look then use some 18 gauge steel even thinner 20 gauge but it's up to u. Then weld it, but don't weld continuously, if u do u will warp the metal. From my experience do spot welds then shave them off as best as possible then apply body filler the less the better
yea thats what i was trying to think of body filler, I heard its more durable than bondo???
anthonyr sil8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #696
s13greasemonkey

Trader Rating: (0)
s13greasemonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah alot of people generally use to much body filler and it then it cracks, I layed down a thin amount of body filler and I used the correct portion of hardener.(Making a perfect mix each time.) I used 16 gauge because 18 is pretty thin and would warp easily. I tried using a 220V welder and even at the lowest heat setting I kept burning holes so I just ended up using a 120V welder and everything worked out fine.
s13greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #697
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
That all depends on the cheapness of the person paying j/k
lol, then call me cheap because i aint paying haha... i like to attempt thing first

i was looking throught the fsm on how the altenator works, do i need to connect the white/red plug which goes to the bulb check relay? or can i leave it unpluged? would i have charging issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13greasemonkey View Post
Yeah alot of people generally use to much body filler and it then it cracks, I layed down a thin amount of body filler and I used the correct portion of hardener.(Making a perfect mix each time.) I used 16 gauge because 18 is pretty thin and would warp easily. I tried using a 220V welder and even at the lowest heat setting I kept burning holes so I just ended up using a 120V welder and everything worked out fine.
bondo is a brand body filler is what people refer to bondo

Last edited by godrifttoday; 12-27-2011 at 03:13 AM..
godrifttoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #698
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
just check an engine bay thread on somewhere like nwp for life.

NWP4LIFE: ***Shaved, Tucked, Customized Engine Bays - Pics, Theory, Discussion ***

plenty of reference pictures, tips, and tricks there.

and here is the race car, fab work, wiring thread

NWP4LIFE: **Race car wiring,fab work, plumbing , motor, forced ind, nut riding**

tons of nutriding going on in both, as well as hating. Now we can divert the honda cuntism displayed by the witty comments here =)

ball so hard, even if it's a gay mustang.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #699
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

how much power? thing is a beast
Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #700
anthonyr sil8ty
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
anthonyr sil8ty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:

camera needs to move to the left
anthonyr sil8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #701
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Sorry, SLIGHT thread jack

Quote:
That's one of Frank's hot rods...

Wanna see what that thing does?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI4lhXTXuvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_HSE2SZT1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyr sil8ty
camera needs to move to the left
Not 100% sure it's the same girl, but I'd bet on it being Frank's GF. Frank is the owner of PSI SpeedSolutions...they do huge dollar 180-200mph trap speed stuff.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #702
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
90240sx07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
o damn those bodies are amazing
but got a question that a few of u should be able to answer
Question: For those of who that are redoing your wiring how did you or how are you gonna make that wiring work with the stock dash wiring and/or guages etc........
90240sx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #703
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
For general wire splices/etc and especially for doing stuff inside the car, I use the same Radio Shack huge soldering guns that I've used for over 10yrs. I keep replacing them every 6 months or so under warranty lol.
THat really is a badass main harness solder system yeesh! That's a few steps lower than a welder

Intersting on that radio shack solder iron, as I was always under the impression that those larger gun style ones weren't 'as good' and was always looking at the pencil style. Good to know, as I'm gonna be looking into a newer one here soon, probably before spring.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #704
boyou2
Zilvia Junkie

boyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura about
omagad ^^
boyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #705
DoobieS13
Zilvia Junkie

DoobieS13 is an unknown quantity at this point

DoobieS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #706
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90240sx07 View Post
o damn those bodies are amazing
but got a question that a few of u should be able to answer
Question: For those of who that are redoing your wiring how did you or how are you gonna make that wiring work with the stock dash wiring and/or guages etc........
I think If you are rewriting your car completely u won't use stock cluster.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #707
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
I solder all day long during remote start season and a lot during the summer months for alarm installs. I also do a lot of repairs to circuit boards etc.... and this is what I use with GREAT results:

Edsyn - EDSYN 951SX - LONER Temperature Controlled Soldering Station

I have owned this particular model for 3 years now without a hiccup. Edsyn has around 20-30 tips that can be used with it: from very fine pencil tips to large tips for soldering heavy gauge stuff. I solder USA spec 4 gauge with no issues with this iron. When it comes to soldering irons you really do get what you pay for. I have around 5 different tip setups and that easily covers everything I throw at it. And really, I only use one 99% of the time.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #708
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

How fast would u say it heats up what u need to soder? Say 14 gauge ?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #709
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
How fast would u say it heats up what u need to soder? Say 14 gauge ?
30 seconds... it's fast for a non-trigger style iron.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #710
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Cody we got MIG and TIG welders, and an oxy-acetylene torch for those REALLY stubborn wires haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
I solder all day long during remote start season and a lot during the summer months for alarm installs. I also do a lot of repairs to circuit boards etc.... and this is what I use with GREAT results:
Awesome do-everything iron, grip's too far back from the tip for SMC stuff though =P

Totally get what you pay for with irons though, a good setup will last longer than your hands/joints.

Quote:
Easy to use stock gauges, diagram is in the FSM. Clip the 3 (or 4) plugs off the under-dash harness and rewire what you need.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #711
R33E8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
R33E8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Excellent question.

The shield needs to be chassis grounded somewhere, either you pull out a ground at the engine connector end or at the bulkhead connector end. There's no need to blow a pin on a shield ground, since it doesn't do anything for you on the other end, although if you had to it's not the worst thing in the world.

Trickiest thing working with shielded wire in a bulkhead connector is the 'strands' of shield that are left when you strip back the shield to pin the primary wire(s)... you need to be very careful to trim and then heat shrink the shield so these strands don't fall and short your bulkhead connector's pins.

I had an intermittent stat sync error (crank signal problem) on Conrad Grunewald's LS7 last year that turned out to be a 1/8" long, almost microscopic shield strand that fell out of the heat shrink (I'd used non-adhesive shrink on that) and arc'd across the crank sensor's pins. Ridiculously hard to figure that out lol.
Eh, I donno.. At my job most customers want the shield to go through a contact or through the connector itself (captured within an EMI backshell).. If you only terminate one side through a bulkhead, then the other end will be open to interference.. The proper way to do it is with a solder sleeve.. This website is a pretty good example: A lesson in shielded wire « Matt's RV-7 Project

I would also recommend grounding the shield only at one end (preferable not the engine connector end) to prevent a ground loop situation.. If you have a bunch of shielded connections to make you can daisy chain the solder sleeves and run them to one crimp.. like so:
R33E8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #712
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
90240sx07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Cody we got MIG and TIG welders, and an oxy-acetylene torch for those REALLY stubborn wires haha.

Awesome do-everything iron, grip's too far back from the tip for SMC stuff though =P

Totally get what you pay for with irons though, a good setup will last longer than your hands/joints.

Easy to use stock gauges, diagram is in the FSM. Clip the 3 (or 4) plugs off the under-dash harness and rewire what you need.
k thats what i was thinking to do you happen to have any extra plugs for a 89 chassis
90240sx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #713
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by R33E8 View Post
Eh, I donno.. At my job most customers want the shield to go through a contact or through the connector itself (captured within an EMI backshell).. If you only terminate one side through a bulkhead, then the other end will be open to interference.. The proper way to do it is with a solder sleeve.. This website is a pretty good example: A lesson in shielded wire « Matt's RV-7 Project
This is where application matters... on a car, there's very little interference behind the firewall, and no interference if the other side is shielded and grounded as well (which is usually the case).

Quote:
I would also recommend grounding the shield only at one end (preferable not the engine connector end) to prevent a ground loop situation.. If you have a bunch of shielded connections to make you can daisy chain the solder sleeves and run them to one crimp.. like so:
That part is true, but then again, application-specific stuff here: the engine is the absolute best ground in the entire car. The OEM's almost always ground the shields to the engine, not the chassis.

I dig the sleeves though. That would be perfect for daisy-chaining shields.

Quote:
k thats what i was thinking to do you happen to have any extra plugs for a 89 chassis
Nope. Junkyard time for you!

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 12-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #714
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Do you fellows use custom clutch lines? If so, what are some reputable online places where I could have one made?

I am running mine behind the firewall through the hood release cable opening and back out through the vent hole on the bottom of the passenger side. No aftermarket line is long enough, so I am actually using the stock rubber section as an add-on to my Agency Power or Circuit Sports or whatever line to make it longer. It works, but is probably unsafe and I would much rather have a one-piece line.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:41 AM   #715
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Do you fellows use custom clutch lines? If so, what are some reputable online places where I could have one made?
Yup, it's just -3an brake line. Any place that crimps brake lines can make one that'll hold a couple thousand psi.

If you absolutely have to make it yourself, there are some assembled/threaded -3an fittings for hydraulic lines, but I just pay Tom at Earl's Store 1 to crimp mine when I have 'em made.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #716
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
finally multiple bus

http://www.swecheck.com.au/catalog/a92.pdf
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:52 AM   #717
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

i been trying to get my car started but nothing, i get fuel, crank but no spark, injectors have 12 volts, the car started before i did not mess with the engine harness at all, all i did was make the new harness, but i get code 21... i been trying everything so far and nothing here the diagram i used to get the car started, any info would be great
Old 12-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #718
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Did you ground the coils harness to the rear of the head like the original harness? This will sound silly but also make sure your coils are getting juice. If you are running factory ignitor make sure the 5th(ground) wire is grounded properly.

-So 4 coilpack signal inputs into ignitor and one ground wire(thicker?/black/middle)
-Also the power for the coils runs past the ignitor(thick/blue&red)
-Then 4 ignitor outputs drive coils
-Ground on coilpack harness

If all that is straight you should be good. If you rotate the cas by hand very slowly with the ign on you can hear the injectors click, if they don't it could be ecu or cas wiring and not just spark.
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #719
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
for the guys who relocated their fuse box, what did you do with the amps?
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #720
r33nota240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
r33nota240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Facebook
r33nota240 is offline   Reply With Quote