Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #61
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
While I would much prefer to own/drive a natural LSx car (Vette) than swapping one, I can't argue with it's efficiency & design. That intake manifold is a work of art to me. Why doesn't every V-configuration engine use that style?
Old 10-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #62
namawon
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
namawon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In b4 closed
But seriously im about to make one bulleted post about the pros and cons
Then literally never talk about this again.
I'm super suprised this thread exsists
Can there be one v8 "faq" thread. That would be awesome..
Old 10-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #63
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by namawon View Post
In b4 closed
But seriously im about to make one bulleted post about the pros and cons
Then literally never talk about this again.
I'm super suprised this thread exsists
Can there be one v8 "faq" thread. That would be awesome..
I think theres like a v8 nissan forum or some shit, that has all that info already
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #64
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
For drifting: SR, all day long. I have no experience with SRs, I've never driven a car with an SR, but it makes the sound I associate with drifting. I stopped going to FD/D1 events before everyone went straight-six and V8, and practically all the righteous Japanese drift cars were SR.

For grip: V8, all day long. Everyone claims this or that, but let's face it- 400whp out of a 100k mile L33 with LS3 cam, LS6 valve springs and LS1/LS6 intake will set you back less than $2500 if you're savvy. Combine that with a lower polar moment than a car with an intercooler hanging out front and a lower cG than a DOHC engine with a top-mount turbo and it makes sense. That you can buy a NASCAR-spec, bulletproof four-speed that weighs less than the factory five-speed and has nearly infinite gear ratios is icing on the cake.

Screw the LS1, it's old tech and it's been proven time and time again that the aluminum 5.3L engines are capable of great numbers while being only a fraction of the price.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #65
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
To clarify, what differences are you referring to technology wise between the aluminum 5.3 and LS1? Well besides the price obviously.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #66
Praxis

Praxis is an unknown quantity at this point
I think.its 3 things.

1)good, strong engine, makes great power in near etock conditions. The 2jz is legendary, I have a picture somewhere of a ls rod next to a 2jz rod, and it makes the 2jz look puny.

2)availability. These things are everywhere. There were literally millions made. On any given day, you can find a dozen or a hundred, locally haha.

3) price of engine and parts. Ive picked them up for as low as $200. Typically you can get them for under a grand.

Bigger displacement/more cylinders means; less turbo lag, more power from pump gas, more reliable at a given power level. Stock GM heads gaskets are mls, and $30. Lots of O-Rings for seals, often re usable. Stock Heads flow awseome. Will support tons of power.
Praxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #67
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Why hasn't a 2jz being dropped into everything and all the time become a thing like the lsx?

Great candidate for a great sounding motor (much more then that v8 rumble), makes big power while reliable, doesn't take alot of mods to make more power, responsive. Cost effective.
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #68
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
Why hasn't a 2jz being dropped into everything and all the time become a thing like the lsx?

Great candidate for a great sounding motor (much more then that v8 rumble), makes big power while reliable, doesn't take alot of mods to make more power, responsive. Cost effective.
It has.
Everytime a new cool chassis comes out its a rush to see who is the first 2j and who is the first LS
Old 10-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #69
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
It has.
no where to the extent of lsxs
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #70
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
no where to the extent of lsxs
2jz ( in its turbo form) also came in a fraction of the vehicles the lsx platform is used in.

once again, availability.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #71
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
JZ worshippers are just as annoying as LS goobers.

They are both engines, guyz. It is okay to like one without hating the other.

Geez.

Guyz.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #72
Praxis

Praxis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Availability, and cost. When I bent the 2jz rods on mine, finding another motor was hard, and the prices were nuts.
Praxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #73
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Equal length, 8-1 collector headers on an LS is the ONLY way I'd ever do the swap. It completely changes the boring ls sound and makes it sound godly. Ross Petty's s15 had a custom equal length manifold setup and it was amazing.

Look that shit up. Sounds like a completely different engine. If more people made equal length ls headers we'd all be happier, I hate how the ls sounds 99% of the time.

Basically the same as how boring stock manifold sr20's sound.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #74
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
2JZ dressed- 594lbs
LS1 dressed- 481lbs (with the max being somewhere around 550 depending on who you get your numbers from and what they consider dressed, as some include the weight of the pallet)

44lbs in my car is 2% of the total weight. 2% is massive. If the difference is actually 113lbs, that's just over 5% of my car's total weight. I would kill for a 5% weight reduction.

Also, the 2JZ is a long DOHC that raises cG and polar moment. If we're talking about drifting, things change and I don't have enough experience to speak in an educated manner.

2muchboost- probably shouldn't have said "old tech." Should've said something like "passe," "played out" or simply "not worth it." It is not the "new" hotness.

Stagnant wages and high unemployment mean a lot of people will go for the "cheap power" route.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #75
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Always been an import guy here, but I'm starting to learn more about domestic v8's little by little. Came across this today: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...e-ls-slugfest/
Quote:
the 4.8L produced peak numbers of 476 hp at a lofty 7,000 rpm and 392 lb-ft of torque at 5,900 rpm. Torque production exceeded 350 lb-ft from 4,500 rpm to 7,000 rpm. Despite what would be a mild performance cam for an LS2 or LS3, these mods transformed the little 4.8L into a high-rpm screamer.
Never even heard of an LR4 or LY2 engine before... WTF am I doing wasting time with 4 bangers & turbos when a pissant junkyard 4.8L V8 can do this with what seem like run of the mill mods? Fucks the VH45 right in the ass...
Old 10-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #76
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Equal length, 8-1 collector headers on an LS is the ONLY way I'd ever do the swap. It completely changes the boring ls sound and makes it sound godly. Ross Petty's s15 had a custom equal length manifold setup and it was amazing.

Look that shit up. Sounds like a completely different engine. If more people made equal length ls headers we'd all be happier, I hate how the ls sounds 99% of the time.

Basically the same as how boring stock manifold sr20's sound.
LS engines still sound better than Ford 4.6... Now those sound like shit... add exhaust and they are just as obnoxious as na hondas with fart cans.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #77
danshaz
Zilvia Junkie

danshaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
this was it, right?

danshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #78
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
^

Sound clips PLEASE.
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #79
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
overkill.. but interesting
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #80
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Sound clips?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #81
danshaz
Zilvia Junkie

danshaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatduece View Post
Sound clips PLEASE.
im pretty sure it has that setup in this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=5sQRA5DtTTA
danshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #82
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCXfXX8z8wQ

enjoy
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #83
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
sounds good..
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #84
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
because this is 'MERICA!
answer

/thread
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Kingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #85
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I got into motorsport right before the V8 swap bubble burst.

My first drift event (5/09) was in an e30 with an m20b27i (poor man's stroker). There were 6 guys at the drift event. Two SR20 s13's (Mike Tung & Drew Ruggles), an RB20 s13 (Wes Becker), a ka-t s13 (One of the islandslide guys), and one LS powered coupe (Tanner Munson).

For a while it was V8 everywhere. Only now I've started noticing more variety again.

6 years later, I'm finally getting around to doing an LS car of my own.

Also, the S-Chassis are starting to get a bit nicer overall. I used to see ratty s-chassis all the time. Not so much now, since more people are starting with Mustangs and E36's. It was only a matter of time until people caught onto those cars, so widely available and so cheap to buy/upgrade. They just buy the cheapest one they see and go play.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #86
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
For years there has been the whole import vs domestic battle which typicaly was japanese inline 4/6 vs american v8s.

While v8s for domestics are okay in their own right what happened to built sr20s or 2jzs etc? Why did mamy give up on the traditional route and take the easy and borring route of the lsx

The V8 won bro.

They fucking won.

At the end of the day what makes cars fun is how they drive, not that they are unique and wonderful snow flakes.

If you 600whp and gobs of torque for cheap, you want autostore parts availability and rock solid power trains... Get on the Chevy Band wagon.

Their is nothing he imports due that's mechanically better, it's all cosmetics and emotion.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #87
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
There is no replacement for displacement.

Except boost, which likes to break things, and requires a lot of mods and has more associated maintenance.

But the catch is you can boost displacement.

So $1,500 SR + turbo upgrades

Vs

$1,500 LS + turbo upgrades

Guess who wins....
Old 10-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #88
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by danshaz View Post
this was it, right?

Yeah man, I haven't been able to find those pics in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshaz View Post
im pretty sure it has that setup in this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=5sQRA5DtTTA

Yeah that's what I was talking about. Sounds a thousand times better than any other LS swap I've ever heard. More people need to do equal length long tube 8-1 exhaust setups I swear.

Just listen to that response and smoothness, it's so dang crispy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
overkill.. but interesting
It's so worth it imo. I hate shitty sounding ls engines.

Here's another for good measure, I know not S-Chassis, but god damn it sounds great. 8-1 is where it's at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=tKjR9NRl4TA
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #89
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
LS engines still sound better than Ford 4.6... Now those sound like shit... add exhaust and they are just as obnoxious as na hondas with fart cans.

The 2v is one of the best sounding V8s ever made. Their short coming is they are stupid slow and have weak rods.

I seriously hope you openly hate the SR sound as it is the king of engine drone.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #90
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
But the catch is you can boost displacement.

So $1,500 SR + turbo upgrades

Vs

$1,500 LS + turbo upgrades

Guess who wins....
In what world are you getting a real LS (not an iron block (LQ9) or aluminum (L33) variant) for under 2k?
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote