Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #61
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
corymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to corymaloy
s13 Well guys, im done, mostly.

Well everything is in and torqed down. Things went pretty smoothly consdiering I'm just now getting into cars.

Now I need to get some wheels, im thinking some oldschool meshi's but I dont know, I have a really low price range, as in 800 needs to get me wheels and tires. Let me know if you have any ideas or wheels for sale.

Here are my fucked up wheels, both on the driver side, one is bent for sure the other just has rash.

Rear Driver Side

Front Driver Side (bent)
Old 08-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #62
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

corymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to allcorymaloy is a name known to all
s13 Back on the ground

here she is, back on the ground until I get some wheels/tires and an alignment.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #63
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
congratulations man
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #64
Forge_55b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Forge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
for under 800 you can easily find some old school meshies in the for sale section and good job on the repairs. when my friends work on their shit they drive me crazy with their shitty slow ass work......
Forge_55b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #65
Forge_55b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Forge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
oh heres some but they won't ship, i can pick em up for you and ship em if u want lol

http://zilvia.net/f/wheels-tires/209...res-350-a.html
Forge_55b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #66
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 All finished!

Got my new wheels today. Decided against the meshi's though. I like the wheels I chose, they are the Hanbai DT-05r's and they should last me until I go 5lug. Check um out and tell me what you think! Not bad considering im poor...

Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #67
MunsonAuto
Zilvia Member

MunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to MunsonAuto
Nice job bro! Congrats on getting it all done. I really like those wheels btw, seems like a good find to me.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #68
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 Update! Big problem!!!

Ok so, I put the wheels on, went to les schwab and got an alignment then went for a drive. The car drifts to the left then when you try to correct it to go straight the steering wheel veers to the right. I cant seem to get the damn thing to go straight, its sooooooooooooooo annoying to have to go back and forth and drive with 2 fucking hands!!!

ANY IDEAS on what the problem is? The rack is now longer "power" I filled it with power steering fluid but it doesnt seem to work. Is my rack broken in such a way that it wont steer right? Its the only thing I can think of besides the possibility that they didnt ACTUALLY align my car....

I'm afraid to drive on the freeway with this thing, you have to keep your guard up! so any responses would be gladly appreciated!!!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #69
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah, I think earlier people said with that leak that the rack was probably fubar.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #70
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13

So do you think the leaky rack would cause steering problems such as the ones im having? I mean its very possible there is more then just a leak, I mean, I did snap the tie rod so I wouldnt be suprised if there is something else wrong with it.

It sucks cause im out of money for a few weeks, blahh! I'm not sure if I even want to try driving it.... I asked the guy at les schwab about a replacement rack and they said they dont carry "that type" of rack there. I guess I might have an aftermarket one and dont know it? I' will crawl back under and check it out soon.

The reason I dont want to replace the rack myself is because it seems a bit intimidating for someone like me who has never done it. I really dont know enough about power steering systems, otherwise I would pick up a rack off here and give it a shot....

I hope its nothing more serious then the rack.. More input would be nice about possible reasons for the problem, and even better, solutions!

Old 09-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #71
Leetheslacker
Zilvia Junkie

Leetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond repute
i thought our cars PS systems used ATF, not ps fluid?
Leetheslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #72
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13

You are shittin me, the guy at the auto parts store assured me that I need that exact power steering fluid......... FUCK!

well that could be the problem.......... Is there ANY WAY to fix it? How do I get that other fluid out of there, if possible?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #73
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13

wow, both me and you are newbie? Idk I did some googleing and apparently PS fluid and ATM fluid are the same thing, except one resists heat more. So I should be fine, meaning my problem is something else....
Old 09-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #74
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
As long as you haven't been driving it much you should be able to drain the rack and put the right fluid in before it does any damage.

ATF is better for the seals in the PS rack, that's why it's recommended for Nissans and other cars that are specified to use it.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #75
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 Rack

Ok guys, so im pretty sure im gonna buy a rack, question is, should I install it myself or hire a pro? You saw how newbie my post's were so you be the judge. I got a chilton guide, some random nissan guides I downloaded, and you guys here on zilvia. Yes or No?
Old 09-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #76
5t341tH
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 5t341tH
nice job puttin shit back together. i had the same destruction wen i hit a curb. tension rod, and lca were fuked. what kinda shitty alignment shop did u go to? did they not test drive it and report back to u? i would go back there and complain O

lexus baby
5t341tH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #77
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Only thing you can fuck up is the steering wheel alignment to the rack. The rack has a Dot/Slit for alignment. Make sure you get a Oil or paint marker and mark that point on the steering rack. Then align that with the new racks dot/slit.

The rack has a cradle on the drivers side so you can't screw up locating in in the crossmember.

I recommend getting some upgraded rack bushings while you have it out. The stock ones are like foam rubber.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #78
MunsonAuto
Zilvia Member

MunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to MunsonAuto
The rack isn't too hard to switch out if you've got the time and are patient. But my experience doing it was with full access to my lift and an extra set of hands so it will most likely your experience will be a little different than mine but I think you will be fine with it judging by how well you did the rest of it. I'd say go for it and try it yourself!
Old 09-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #79
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 Update

Well im gonna get the rack in a couple weeks, delay because of fundage... Something else I noticed was that sometimes when I make tight corners or go over a bump I hear strange "stress" sounds. Is this because of tightening the shit when it wasnt under full load or is something comming loose? LOL I dont want to die, ya know how it is....

something ELSE I noticed too, is when Im driving, if I put my foot in it and take it to redline then shift, when I hit the next gear the back end of the car will feel floaty for about a second, im wondering if its losing traction? tis a mostly stock s13................ idk whats up...
Old 09-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #80
kay_arsen
Zilvia Member

kay_arsen is on the path to ruinkay_arsen is on the path to ruin
Send a message via MSN to kay_arsen
whats up

any info on the car?

I know what you mean by floaty my s14 has fuked up alignment in the front and i get that

its lack of traction at the front there is some play at the front
i wouldn't drive fast in bends or rain i think your car may have some fuked up toe out configurations

check your tires they may tend to wear out very fast and give you a good idea of how your alignment is messed up

keep us posted on how you fix it
Old 09-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #81
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I just think this car was trying to put it's self out of it's misery...
Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #82
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 Rack

OK, so its been a while but I finally got my hands on a rack... I got by with shitty steering for a while, it was by no means safe.. Anyways now im trying to figure out how to put it in. I have never worked with power steering so if someone could give me a quick breakdown of the steps I should follow I would be thankfull.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #83
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
1) Lower Control Arm
2) Traction Control Rod
3) Tie Rod
4) Tie Rod End
5) Sway bar End link
you do know that the "TC" in tc rod does not stand for traction control right?
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #84
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGrain View Post
you do know that the "TC" in tc rod does not stand for traction control right?
It's called the Tension Rod, the Control arm is called the Transverse Link. I meant Tension Control but mistyped. What's your point?

OP, what problems are you having with installing the Rack? Just need a general walk through? Get some new rack mount bushings. Stock ones are spongy rubber.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #85
lolatclint
BANNED

lolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to lolatclint
same thing happen to me but i hit a curb going 40 ahahhaa. it was a bitch to get the lower control arm off from the junkyard and my car
lolatclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #86
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 rack

Well I can handle all that other stuff, i just dont know if there is anything I need to do as far as flushing old fluids, or anything I need to know about power steering plumbing, if not I guess I could install it on the weekend... but it IS my DD and I do have to go to school so I just wanna make sure I can get it in without too many problems.

thanks guys
Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #87
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 Sr20

Guys, im sick of my oil burning KA... I wanna change it out for an SR20 (or RB20) in the next few months. As you can see from all my posts I dont know SHIT! I dont even know how to use a cherry picker.... But how else am I supposed to learn?

Does Zilvia think this is a good idea? I would be changing out my SOHC, so I'm not sure if that means anything different from the DOHC KA.

If you think this is a good idea I would appreciate it if you guys could recommend especially noob friendly guides.

I think if I actually do this I will video tape the whole thing so other new guys (like me) can do it too.

p.s. Still hav'nt put that rack in, but I think I will do it when I change the motor, that way I dont have to have a ton of downtime for my DD.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #88
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I honestly have to say this is the BEST new forum member EVER.

Holy mother of god. I love this kid. He took lots of pics, wasn't afraid to ask questions. He dove right in! Now he wants to do a swap.

I think you can personally do it. Just be sure to research on the swap. The best gain of knowledge in these areas is experience. Start wrenching and you'll grasp it.

I am so impressed.

Do NOT get an RB20. I do not want to start a flame thread on the RB20 but for the love of god do not get one if the debate is SR20 vs RB20.

SR20 is lighter, capable of the same numbers stock and has less rotating mass.

Swap:
JDM Zenki S14 SR20DET swap into a DOHC S13: SR20DET Forum (rear-drive): Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub (wiring for S14 SR)
S13 SR20DET into a 1st Gen 240SX
S13 SR20DET into 89-98 240SX

Wiring:
SR20DET Swap Engine Harness Wiring Diagram Guide SR SR20

If you ever need help, feel free to email me. [email protected]
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #89
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 Thanks!

Awesome links man! thanks a lot! and like my first compliment! woo! haha!

if anyone else has more to add I would be thankful! what should I consider upgrading on the SR before I install it? I have heard flywheel and clutch are important to change. Anything I could do for some easy/cheap power gains?

I know absolutely nothing about turbos lol
Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #90
corymaloy
Leaky Injector

s13 video

lol for fun me and friend made a flyby vid, i was kinda bored the other day. You can see a flame shoot out the back- im pretty sure its from burning oil. The car also has an ECU upgrade of some sort so that might be part of it too

after a while of not washing my car my back bumper gets charred, again I think from the burning oil. I have to add oil every couple weeks- NOT GOOD.

link ===> YouTube - 240 burnout than flyby