Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
LED tail light custom hacking..

anyone ever try putting these in thier tail lights?? Im wondering to do it to my kouki 180 tails.. I dont think it would be too hard.. but I dont know if these things are single filament I guess i dunno.. anyone else here consider it?
http://www.buytruckstuff.com/s_produ...selcategory=61
Old 08-26-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
s13andy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
s13andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13andy
i put some nice ones in my jeep wrangler lol

Old 08-26-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
kouki-gymkhana
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
kouki-gymkhana is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Figure out how to get the lenses off the kouki housings WITHOUT cracking them and I'll tell you which LED modules you need to stick in there ([cough] ahem.... clearcorners.com...) The one's you've linked to are 2nd rate at best.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
OOO SNAPS!!! Imma do this to my euros!!! SUPAR RICE, HARD PARK ACTIVATE!!!!!!

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
these look decent.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-S...temZ7995774600

Kouki Gymkhana, could u post which LED modules are good, or could you pm me about it..

Just gotta figure out how to open the tail lights.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:06 AM   #6
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
I was planning on doing it.... but the project seemed a little silly to be wasting the amount of money I would have to do it right...
Old 08-29-2005, 04:54 AM   #7
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
i think i remember a while back someone saying opening them up with a heat gun... or could that have been another piece. eh its an idea for you
hellion240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
maybe you could open them up like you open up headlights, stick them in the oven for a few minutes at high heat to melt the epoxy that seals them and then pry the lense from the housing apart
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:57 PM   #9
rancid240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (72)
rancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 72 reviews
just try with the old stockers...im sure opening them is going to be the same procedure as kouki lights.
rancid240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
ca19det

ca19det is an unknown quantity at this point
i saw bulbs that have led's, you insert them and then they open up like a small X (i actually think it had 5 points) - think it was in a SCC mag... didnt pay too much attention to it as it would look silly on a coupe, but on 180sx/RPS13/R32,33 round lights it would look good,
Old 08-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
krustindumm
Zilvia Junkie

krustindumm is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S30Z Bushido
maybe you could open them up like you open up headlights, stick them in the oven for a few minutes at high heat to melt the epoxy that seals them and then pry the lense from the housing apart

carefull with that. I did it to the headlights on my civic and it worked great. On the corner lights the rear housing melts before the glue
Old 08-30-2005, 07:19 AM   #12
s13andy
Zilvia Member

s13andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to s13andy
www.spiderlite.com
Old 08-30-2005, 07:52 AM   #13
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The problem is due to the inner reflector in the lights those LEDs won't look any different than a regular incandescent bulb when lit. They may even be less bright.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #14
HyperTek
Post Whore!

probably only looks good with clear lense tail lights..
Old 08-30-2005, 06:54 PM   #15
kouki-gymkhana
Zilvia Member

Alright, check it...I have successfully opened the USDM tails using some of the methods mentioned above and retrofitted LEDs. I suspect that the procedure would be the same for the kouki lights but at $450 a set, I don't have the money necessary to "experiment" on them. USDM tails are cheap so I figured I'd give it a try and it worked out really well.

Be aware that in order to replicate the clearcorners.com kouki tails with the "single LED" upgrade, you're looking at about $160 in just LED clusters. To do the "dual LED" upgrade, it's another $300-400 on top of that. This is just for parts alone...Now do you see why old_s13 (Mike) charges so much for them? That's almost $1k on tail lights!! You could buy a set of KSport coilovers for that and have money left over!

Someone needs to figure out how to open the lights safely and without damaging them. Once that's figured out, the rest should be cake.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:56 AM   #16
HyperTek
Post Whore!

ok.. how about heating the edges up slightly with a heatgun or hair drier.. while sticking a screw driver or something thru the bulb opening to push the lense out?? i dunno lol
Old 08-31-2005, 01:23 AM   #17
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
RICER!!!!!!!!! haha

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:29 AM   #18
jdm538
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
jdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
i want to do something to my inner s14 kouki reflectors
jdm538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:29 PM   #19
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki-gymkhana
Alright, check it...I have successfully opened the USDM tails using some of the methods mentioned above and retrofitted LEDs. I suspect that the procedure would be the same for the kouki lights but at $450 a set, I don't have the money necessary to "experiment" on them. USDM tails are cheap so I figured I'd give it a try and it worked out really well.

Be aware that in order to replicate the clearcorners.com kouki tails with the "single LED" upgrade, you're looking at about $160 in just LED clusters. To do the "dual LED" upgrade, it's another $300-400 on top of that. This is just for parts alone...Now do you see why old_s13 (Mike) charges so much for them? That's almost $1k on tail lights!! You could buy a set of KSport coilovers for that and have money left over!

Someone needs to figure out how to open the lights safely and without damaging them. Once that's figured out, the rest should be cake.

Care to post pictures?!?! =D
Old 08-31-2005, 08:54 PM   #20
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
I really want to retrofit some LED's into my tail lights and stuff; I want to. Anyone got any diy sites?...hah
Old 08-31-2005, 09:24 PM   #21
sr240mike
Zilvia FREAK!

sr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her self
Buy some boards, leds, resistors.......and start soldering. You can cut the boards any shape you like. Go at it, and good luck. P.S. its not gonna be easy, lol, thats why clearcorners.com charges so much for it. If you have to ask then you probably can't do it.

TWO IN THE COOT, ONE IN THE POOT
sr240mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:48 PM   #22
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
Well you have to ask to be able to learn to do it =P
I plan on googling the f outta the subject soon but have not gotten to it yet. Pick up some old tails at a junkyard and let the fun begin.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #23
kouki-gymkhana
Zilvia Member

Check out hidplanet.com in the LED forum. Look for a post by a member named "azdave" or something. He made some LED tails for his 2nd gen eclipse that make clearcorners.com's shit look like dookie. The video is absolutely sick. Of course, he also has ridiculous electrical engineering skills...

BTW, I have some crappy pics of my conversion on NICO. Search by my username.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #24
HyperTek
Post Whore!

this is pretty much what i wanted to fit into them.. looks easy enough... *well easier then building teh whole thing..*

Old 09-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #25
kouki-gymkhana
Zilvia Member

Yes, the actual mounting of the modules and the wiring is the easy part. It's getting off the lenses without fucking them up that's difficult!