Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
drifting.8
Zilvia Member

Location: What's heavier a pound of iron or a pound of feathers??
Trader Rating: (0)
drifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drifting.8
Bleeding the clutch..

Im done searching i know when and why to bleed the clutch but how do i do it ??

RB 25DET NiZTECH BUILT
drifting.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
s13monkey
Zilvia Member

s13monkey is a splendid one to beholds13monkey is a splendid one to beholds13monkey is a splendid one to beholds13monkey is a splendid one to beholds13monkey is a splendid one to beholds13monkey is a splendid one to beholds13monkey is a splendid one to beholds13monkey is a splendid one to beholds13monkey is a splendid one to beholds13monkey is a splendid one to beholds13monkey is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to s13monkey Send a message via Yahoo to s13monkey
the same as your brake system
Old 10-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
nissanguy13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
nissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First you take the damper off and throw it away. Then you hook the hard line straight to the slave cylinder. Then you get a buddy to pump the clutch pedal 3 times and hold to the floor board while you loosen the bleeder on the slave cylinder for 3 seconds, then tighten bleeder. Repeat until the clutch pedal is firm.
nissanguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
drifting.8
Zilvia Member

Location: What's heavier a pound of iron or a pound of feathers??
drifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to drifting.8
^^^ thanks again zilvians^^^

RB 25DET NiZTECH BUILT
drifting.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
well....if the clutch line is bone dry...start with hand pumping it, then after a while, when the pedal gets a little harder, then you can start to pump it with your foot.

not all the air may come out in one session, but bleed it as much as you can, then check the next morning....air that is trapped may just need some time to work itself out over time.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Or use a brake bleeder and pump that air out of it with a small twist on the bleeder than tighten it back to togather.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
KingKong8247
Zilvia Junkie

KingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to KingKong8247
Old 10-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
make sure you compress the slave cylinder as much as you can with the bleeder valve closed, then while holding it in, open the bleeder valve and you should hear air come out. make sure you do this before you start pumping the pedal and pushing fluid into the cylinder. i didnt depress mine all the way when i started and it would stick as it came back up...no matter how much i bled it.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
frosti108
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
frosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to frosti108
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
make sure you compress the slave cylinder as much as you can with the bleeder valve closed, then while holding it in, open the bleeder valve and you should hear air come out. make sure you do this before you start pumping the pedal and pushing fluid into the cylinder. i didnt depress mine all the way when i started and it would stick as it came back up...no matter how much i bled it.

hmmm i think this may be my problem... props to you
Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 AM   #10
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosti108 View Post
hmmm i think this may be my problem... props to you
yeah it happened to both me and my friend, then some guy walked up at the hobby shop and asked us if we compressed the cylinder....needless to say we didnt even think about that. solved my sticky clutch problem instantly.

the situation was that we just kept bleeding and bleeding but the clutch pedal would still stick on the way back up, then pop into normal position. the pedal was the only thing that seemed to be acting up, cuz the bleeding process under the hood looked good to go. the hose had a full line of fluid running through it with no air bubbles. if it wasnt for the advice we never would have figured it out.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 AM   #11
honduh
Leaky Injector

honduh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to honduh
so when you compress the slave cylinder, what exactly do you mean? I just assumed for bleeding it you would pump the pedal a bunch and hold it at the floor, then loosen the screw for a few seconds, tighten, and repeat. I've never heard about doing the extra step you mentioned. Would you mind elaborating a bit on it?
honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
twofortyrida1388
Zilvia Addict

twofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura about
I would like to know as well.

Boost Coming soon...
twofortyrida1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
s13driftϛ

s13driftϛ is an unknown quantity at this point
get a speed bleeder and delete that damper box thats the best way
Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #14
twofortyrida1388
Zilvia Addict

twofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura about
The stuff I just read seams it will fix or lessen my tranny issues. New slave cylinder, master cylinder, bleed it, remove damper box, adjust clutch rod thing, and I think thats it. I can get fluid, sc, and mc fo cheap. 20% off.

Boost Coming soon...
Old 10-27-2007, 02:19 AM   #15
Rayne
Zilvia Addict

Rayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by honduh View Post
so when you compress the slave cylinder, what exactly do you mean? I just assumed for bleeding it you would pump the pedal a bunch and hold it at the floor, then loosen the screw for a few seconds, tighten, and repeat. I've never heard about doing the extra step you mentioned. Would you mind elaborating a bit on it?
Pressing and holding the clutch pedal to the floor compresses the slave cylinder.
Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
twofortyrida1388
Zilvia Addict

I think my problem is that my clutch isn't being fully disengaged because at a stop I can put it in 1st with pedal all the way down and I can feel the slightest jerk from the diff. I can also slightly feel dog teeth catch as well.

Boost Coming soon...
Old 10-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #17
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Okay, all you guys who don't know listen up. This is the 100th time I've typed this already.

Go here: http://www.takamotorsports.com

And if you're extremely lazy, here: http://www.takamotorsports.com/Produ...ines_page.html

Anybody who is still running the stock hardline and clutch damper needs to buy that braided line.

1) Open the slave bleed screw and let fluid drain.
2) Remove everything between the master and slave cylinder, including all the hardline, damper, and loop.
3) Connect the Taka braided line straight from the master to the slave.
4) Go to your clutch pedal and remove the big stopper bolt at the top of the pedal travel.
5) Adjust the clutch pedal free play so that it will sit as high as possible on the master cylinder pushrod. If you don't know how look in the FSM. You turn the rod that connects the pedal to the master cylinder all the way out so that the rod is as long as possible. This puts the pedal at the top of the stroke of the master cylinder piston.
6) Open the slave bleed bolt and push the fork that sits on top of the ball and cup against the slave cylinder as far as it will go in. This puts the cylinder at the top of the compression stroke.
7) Close the bleed bolt and fill the master with fluid.
8) The clutch line is inverted so you'll have some difficulty gravity bleeding. The best way is to pump the pedal several times and hold it, then quickly loosen the braided line at the master cylinder just enough to let out some air. You'll only have to do this a few times and it'll start gravity bleeding itself.
9) Now pump and hold and loosen the bleeder bolt on the slave like normal. With the braided line, it will only take you 3-5 repititions at most. With the clutch damper you will need a power bleeder.

After the line and slave is bled, check for proper operation. Have someone operate the clutch with you watching the piston to see if it retracts and expands correctly.

After everything is gravy you can adjust the clutch pedal. There are 2 adjustments.

1) The pushrod affects how far the clutch pedal travels at the bottom of the stroke, and limits how far pass disengagement you go.

2) The big stopper nut affects how far the clutch comes up, and limits how far pass engagement you go.

Adjust #1 first and then #2 as per the FSM. When you adjust, err on the side of having too little on #1 and too much on #2. This is because the hydro setup has some freeplay built in so that as the clutch wear, you won't need to push down on it as much to disengage.

If you set #2 too tight, the clutch won't fully engage and you'll have clutch slip all the time.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about look at the FSM and think about it for a second. Then look at the section with the pressure plate and clutch disc. Imagine what happens when the clutch is disengage and as the disc becomes thinner.

I prefer to set #1 right at the disengagement point so that I can shift freely with no grind (to eliminate excessive pedal travel at the floor), and #2 right at the point where the clutch begins to slip (to eliminate excessive pedal travel at the top).

Over time as your clutch wear you will need to readjust #1 to eliminate excessive travel on the floor, but it's not necessary. It's just preference. But if you find that you can shift without resistance without the pedal being at the bottom, you know your clutch disc is getting thin.

If you don't want to buy the braided line then at least remove the damper and bend the line and feed it into the slave. If you insist on leaving the damper then God be with you.

Last edited by g6civcx; 10-27-2007 at 01:32 PM..
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:45 AM   #18
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
6) Open the slave bleed bolt and push the fork that sits on top of the ball and cup against the slave cylinder as far as it will go in. This puts the cylinder at the top of the compression stroke.
7) Close the bleed bolt and fill the master with fluid.
for anyone that was wondering that is it exactly what i meant when i said to compress the slave. pushing on the pedal alone is not enough you need to depress it to its limits and get out ALL of the air. sorry for the shotty explanation.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 AM   #19
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
DONT FORGET TO KEEP CHECKING THE RESERVOIR!!! If you forget to top it off while bleeding the clutch, youll start all over again if it gets too low...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:42 AM   #20
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
DONT FORGET TO KEEP CHECKING THE RESERVOIR!!! If you forget to top it off while bleeding the clutch, youll start all over again if it gets too low...
This is just like bleeding brakes. If you run low on fluid you'll suck in air, which means you have to start over.

Keep the reservoir at the full line after every rep and top off as necessary.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote