Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
harangatang can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Gas in Oil..

Ya.. so, I was hearing some odd grinding noises coming from my turbo ( I thought). So, I pulled off inlet pipe, checked turbo (it is fine), no oil in intercooler pipes, no noises when I was spinning it.
Put it back together.. And randomly decided to check the oil. It smelled like gas REALLLLLLLY bad. And I noticed the exhaust has been smelling like gas real bad the last few days. So, I know fried onion rings and bad valve seals can cause that, but what else? I checked the plugs, all 4 were dry w/ no build up etc.. I know I should do a compression check again (1st time was ~175 across). But Ill have to go rent 1, cause I dont have one
And btw, I was running stock boost (7-8psi) until about a week ago when I turned it up to 10.

Any help will be appreciated. I have no idea what could be causing this..

harangatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
SexPanda
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
First thing: Compression test the damned thing. Then go from there.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
EAT Motorsports
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
EAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EAT Motorsports
start it up and listen with a screw driver... find out where the noise is coming from....

EAT Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
Quote:
Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
Ya.. so, I was hearing some odd grinding noises coming from my turbo ( I thought). So, I pulled off inlet pipe, checked turbo (it is fine), no oil in intercooler pipes, no noises when I was spinning it.
Put it back together.. And randomly decided to check the oil. It smelled like gas REALLLLLLLY bad. And I noticed the exhaust has been smelling like gas real bad the last few days. So, I know fried onion rings and bad valve seals can cause that, but what else? I checked the plugs, all 4 were dry w/ no build up etc.. I know I should do a compression check again (1st time was ~175 across). But Ill have to go rent 1, cause I dont have one
And btw, I was running stock boost (7-8psi) until about a week ago when I turned it up to 10.

Any help will be appreciated. I have no idea what could be causing this..

Fried Onion Rings??? hahahahah

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt_s13 View Post
Fried Onion Rings??? hahahahah
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Kouki View Post
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
ya.. lol. it always makes me laugh too. Except when I am talking about muh car..
Ill see about getting a compression tester after schoolzors.
Anyone else have ideas?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
KA-T_240
Nissanaholic!

KA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond repute
dump your oil and look if there IS gas in the oil. if there is gas in oil, and you didnt/or someone else didnt put it there on purpose. The gas is coming down pass your rings. good chance you have a leaky injector.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach5camaross View Post
dump your oil and look if there IS gas in the oil. if there is gas in oil, and you didnt/or someone else didnt put it there on purpose. The gas is coming down pass your rings. good chance you have a leaky injector.
if my rings were bad, wouldnt I be getting blow-by?? my intercooler pipes were oil-free..

Old 11-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
hes not saying ur rings are bad

rings that are fine will not seal against excessive gas flooding into the cylinder
real easy check
drain the oil and see
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

yes.. there is deff. gas in the oil
I was told by a tech today that it could be the cold start sensor. And I think that is a real good possibility b/c my car has trouble starting if its colder then like 65F. And it would explain the excess of gas also. Opinions?

I wont be able to do a compression test until like sat. work/school tomorrow and friday.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
unicoladron
Zilvia Junkie

unicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choices
why would you rent a compression tester?

you can purchase one from any auto parts store for less than $40.

you're probably thinking about a leak down tester which would probably h ave to be rented.

i lost it when i saw fried onion rings lol..

and i didn't realize these engines had cold start sensors? but i guess you learn something new every day.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
juls213
Leaky Injector

juls213 is making a name for him/her selfjuls213 is making a name for him/her selfjuls213 is making a name for him/her self
What the hell is a cold start sensor???
I never heard of this an I am a professional tech lol
juls213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #13
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicoladron View Post
why would you rent a compression tester?

you can purchase one from any auto parts store for less than $40.

you're probably thinking about a leak down tester which would probably h ave to be rented.

i lost it when i saw fried onion rings lol..

and i didn't realize these engines had cold start sensors? but i guess you learn something new every day.
Well, I dont know if they do or dont. I was kinda asking @ the same time.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
unicoladron
Zilvia Junkie

unicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choices
oh well in that case, R240NA we summon thee.

cold start sensor? yay or nay?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:
Originally Posted by juls213 View Post
What the hell is a cold start sensor???
I never heard of this an I am a professional tech lol
there is no cold start sensor, just a coolant temp sensor which is used to control fuel during startup based on temp
Old 11-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik View Post
there is no cold start sensor, just a coolant temp sensor which is used to control fuel during startup based on temp
So, I should replace my temp sensor then? Im still running the 1 that came w/ my motor.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #17
KA-T_240
Nissanaholic!

KA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond repute
no... dont just spend money. there is probably some people on here in dallas that could help you figure it out. More then likely you just have leaky injector or need new injector orings.

something would have to be pretty messed screwed up for that to happen. The gas is more then likely getting into your oil when its not running.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #18
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach5camaross View Post
no... dont just spend money. there is probably some people on here in dallas that could help you figure it out. More then likely you just have leaky injector or need new injector orings.

something would have to be pretty messed screwed up for that to happen. The gas is more then likely getting into your oil when its not running.
LOL.. I totally agree about not just throwing money at it, but a ka temp sensor is like under $10 new from vutozone.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #19
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
LOL.. I totally agree about not just throwing money at it, but a ka temp sensor is like under $10 new from vutozone.
yeah i believe the ka, z32, and sentra se-r temp sensors all function the same, it can't hurt, especially since you have cold start issues

edit: you bitches should invest in a consult adapter
Old 11-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #20
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik View Post
yeah i believe the ka, z32, and sentra se-r temp sensors all function the same, it can't hurt, especially since you have cold start issues

edit: you bitches should invest in a consult adapter
wtf is a consult adapter?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #21
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
wtf is a consult adapter?
hooks up to the factory consult port on nissans from ~89-99, its a diagnostics port

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.shtml
Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #22
nissanguy13
Zilvia Addict

nissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant future
Same as everyone else said. Do a compression test, check your injectors, and if you have a few bucks put a new temp sensor on it. Do not fall for the $80 SR ones since the KA uses the same one, and it cost like $15-$25 at any auto part store. Is the exhaust black? How long have you been running the engine? (If it's a recent swap you could have bought a defective ECU etc.)
nissanguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #23
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanguy13 View Post
Same as everyone else said. Do a compression test, check your injectors, and if you have a few bucks put a new temp sensor on it. Do not fall for the $80 SR ones since the KA uses the same one, and it cost like $15-$25 at any auto part store. Is the exhaust black? How long have you been running the engine? (If it's a recent swap you could have bought a defective ECU etc.)
It has been running for a few months.
And the exhaust, when I or anyone else sees smoke, is white. It hardly ever smokes.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #24
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
It has been running for a few months.
And the exhaust, when I or anyone else sees smoke, is white. It hardly ever smokes.
i'm almost postive thats from the excess gas

if you take a sniff it should smell like retarded amounts of gasoline
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #25
nissanguy13
Zilvia Addict

nissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant futurenissanguy13 has a brilliant future
^^^ Very possible. My old sr would have a little bit of white smoke coming out of the tail pipe and wreaked of raw gas, when it was running rich.
nissanguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #26
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy View Post
i'm almost postive thats from the excess gas

if you take a sniff it should smell like retarded amounts of gasoline
very true. My exhaust smells like straight gas
so, compression check, check injectors, and replace the temp. sensor.