Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Skyline0586
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Skyline0586 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dynamatting the whole car..

i just got 100sq ft of Dynamat sound deadening material which is about .3lbs per sq inch. Not sure if im gonna use all of it, but im basically covering the whole floor of the car as well as the headliner, trunk, license plate areas, and behind the rear fenders. Do u think its worth it for the extra weight? Reason I am doing this is because I plan to put a 12inch sub in there and hated the rattle in my Eclipse.
Skyline0586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
Shawn_of_the_Dead
Zilvia Junkie

Shawn_of_the_Dead is on a distinguished road
I would put the sub in there and see IF and WHERE the rattling occurs. Why add it if you dont need to? I understand it also helps cancel out road noise, but weighs more than it is worth in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
you're on the wrong forum when it comes to this kind of stuff... lol.

i guess it's worth it if you really care about the interior noise level. unless you are in to serious competitive racing, i don't see why you should worry about some extra pounds.

you're putting in a sub... if you were really worried about weight, you'd rip out the entire goddamn sound system instead of upgrading it. it's useless as far as performance goes.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
94cc0rd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 94cc0rd
i have 2 12"s in my trunk and my license plate rattles soo frickin much.. i hate it! i'm embarassed to bump my system even though I love bass...

you should try sound deadening the trunk only first ... and see if theres still any rattles...
Old 02-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
koukidough
Zilvia Junkie

koukidough is an unknown quantity at this point
use double sided tap for license plate, works everytime =)
Old 02-21-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
Yeah, or foam tape.

I have dynamatted an entire car before, it's worth it if you're looking for a quiet ride, and something ideal for SOUND QUALITY. If you're just doing it for your subwoofer, isolate where the problem is and just do that portion. No point in doing the whole car unless you're going for great sound staging and want every last detail to come out.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:37 PM   #7
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A lot of people go overboard with the Sound deadening. You need to cover the seams and holes with 0.5-1" trim over the edges. The flat panels only need a piece 1/4 the size of the panel in the center of the panel.

Then hit the bass and cover any rattles.

Most OEM sound deadening is worthless. Remove all the tar and replace the carpet underlayment with house carpet pad.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
Suk02Si
Zilvia Addict

Suk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfectionSuk02Si is close to perfection
+1 on the Foam tape. If all you're worried about is License plate rattle, foam tape is the ticket.
Suk02Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:40 PM   #9
94cc0rd
Nissanaholic!

94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 94cc0rd
i'm assuming it's available at any hardware store??

do you guys know of the most common or well known "rattles" on a s14?

all I hear right now is my license plate rattle, but i'm sure once that's eliminated, i'll hear more..
Old 02-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #10
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cc0rd
do you guys know of the most common or well known "rattles" on a s14?

all I hear right now is my license plate rattle, but i'm sure once that's eliminated, i'll hear more..
The wall below the tail lights in the trunk.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:56 PM   #11
Shawn_of_the_Dead
Zilvia Junkie

Shawn_of_the_Dead is on a distinguished road
you can also just buy the dynamat license backing...it does the same thing....just more expensive...20 bucks I think.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #12
Ricks15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
Ricks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What you dont want hear nosies damn nothing sounds more better than a stripped out fastback you hear everything.
Ricks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:58 AM   #13
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
isnt it expensive too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:36 AM   #14
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
Most OEM sound deadening is worthless. Remove all the tar and replace the carpet underlayment with house carpet pad.
Elaborate for me if you would S14DB.

So what you're saying is if you have a gutted car, you can make it quiet by adding janky yellow foam from the carpet stores dumpster?

Sweet. I'm totally in if it means I get to raid another dumpster for 'car parts'
Old 02-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #15
S14DB
AFC #1

Let me elaborate:
1) Remove tar. Replace with Dynamatte. Lighter and more effective than stock.
2) Take out the OEM carpet liner. all it really does is hold carpet shape in our cars. Not much support or deadening. Get some home carpet pad and replace the OEM carpet liner/pad with it. It will make your carpet softer and deaden sound better.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:15 AM   #16
neverlift
Zilvia Member

neverlift is not welcome here anymoreneverlift is not welcome here anymoreneverlift is not welcome here anymoreneverlift is not welcome here anymoreneverlift is not welcome here anymoreneverlift is not welcome here anymoreneverlift is not welcome here anymoreneverlift is not welcome here anymoreneverlift is not welcome here anymoreneverlift is not welcome here anymoreneverlift is not welcome here anymore
anyone try r blox heard its really good
Old 02-22-2006, 11:40 AM   #17
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
Hm. Any guesstimation how much replacing the tar with dynamat weighs?

As far as the carpet pad thing goes, you mean put a home carpet pad down then put the top of the carpet over it?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #18
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
I hope that is 0.3lbs per square *foot*, otherwise you bought over 4000 pounds of dynamat.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #19
S14DB
AFC #1

Take up the carpet. Rip off the felt backing and padding off the carpet. Replace with home carpet pad.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:22 PM   #20
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Ah. Thanks S14DB

I went the strip the floors down to metal, and use floor mats approach.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:05 PM   #21
S14-vietusmc
Zilvia Member

S14-vietusmc will become famous soon enoughS14-vietusmc will become famous soon enoughS14-vietusmc will become famous soon enoughS14-vietusmc will become famous soon enoughS14-vietusmc will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to S14-vietusmc
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrindley
I hope that is 0.3lbs per square *foot*, otherwise you bought over 4000 pounds of dynamat.
hell yeah, 4000lbs aint shit for the might KA
S14-vietusmc is offline   Reply With Quote