Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #31
Rafa-Z
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (12)
Rafa-Z is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
dude I dont know why you think welding is ghetto if anything it's less ghetto than shimming and it lasts longer too if done correctly. I had a nismo 2 way and it's the same shit as my welded except they need to have the oil changed a lot more frequently than a welded. Plus its true VLSDs are horrible especially on water.

I've been tracking and daily driving it for 2 years now and have 260whp on my sr and there is absolutely no problem with it and its bs that they drive funny or that you will fall off of a cliff or whatever stories they tell.

But if buying everything from a BRAND NAME and paying more gives you piece of mind than by all means do it. There is no problem with that.

I had a 1 piece aluminum shaft on my 300zx N/A and the response is a lot faster. You can hear them humming but I never had any vibrations. Now this car was not for drifting which is what I do now with my s13 so I'm also debating on either getting a 1 piece steel or aluminum. I kept my aluminum from my old 300zx and measured it and it was the same length as the s13 and I found the yolk that will fit into the s13 tranny. But I still dont know if I should use steel or aluminum for my application.
Rafa-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
i need to change out my seal, it leaks like a whore. i have a new one i just haven't done it..
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #33
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladetech8 View Post
np!

Yeah I'd definitely wouldn't mind the wait to get the aluminum one for sure. Never cared enough about gas mileage on my 240, so I have no comment on that one.

While you're waiting, I'd order a new rear main seal from Nissan for your tranny. It's a good idea to change it out while your down there and while the driveshaft is out. You should also change out the fluid too unless you've done it already in the last year or so.. My recommendation is Motul GEAR 300 75W90 (100% Ester-based Synthetic) if you want the highest quality stuff or Motul MOTYLGEAR 75W90 (SYNTHETIC BLEND) second best stuff for a cheaper price. If either of those are too much bank for you, then whatever you do don't use Redline MT90, that $#!t sucks major a$$. Made my trans notchy when warm and grind 2nd slightly when cold. Could've been just my trans too..
What redline MT are you using. Mine works perfectly fine no complaints at all here. Never heard any complaints about mt90 in a SR trans.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #34
AutechKouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (43)
AutechKouki has a spectacular aura aboutAutechKouki has a spectacular aura aboutAutechKouki has a spectacular aura aboutAutechKouki has a spectacular aura aboutAutechKouki has a spectacular aura aboutAutechKouki has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
I have an aluminum DSS driveshaft on my car mated to my kaaz 2way, stock kade engine. Snappy feeling? Not a dramatic feel versus my buddy's car. Noisy? No, if it makes noise or causes a whole car vibration it needs proper balancing.
One piece aluminum compared to the steel will be the same, only difference is weight (clearly) and that the steel will break tires loose more easily. But if you're running stock and will go SR what are your plans? high power? mild power? Choose something you feel you'll need. I know of people running stockies being turbo.
And yeah VLSD's are cool if you don't like your slides being predictable.
Quick check on DSS website puts the aluminum abs at $480 and steel at $350, shipping not included. Stockies average at around $50. Only reason I have mine is because I have high power plans and got mine CHEEEAAP. Only $150.
AutechKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #35
Rafa-Z
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (12)
Rafa-Z is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
yeah I got mine for about 80 bucks since thats how much it will cost me to modify the 300zx one. My question is, do you notice a big difference when sliding? I have no problems drifting with the stock DS but since I have the aluminum one and have plans for more power then I am thinking about it.
Rafa-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #36
AutechKouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (43)
AutechKouki has a spectacular aura aboutAutechKouki has a spectacular aura aboutAutechKouki has a spectacular aura aboutAutechKouki has a spectacular aura aboutAutechKouki has a spectacular aura aboutAutechKouki has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
I would say it breaks loose faster than stockie since momentum isn't lost at the center piece.
AutechKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #37
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantwoforty View Post
have you ever thought of junkyarding a long steel 1 piece from a econo van and having a shop cut it and put your ends on it?
you can find a alu one to...

its cheap as hell..
I'm going to disagree here at the process, not so much the concept. I know it 'can work' but think about reality

1. You need to find a shaft thaft has U joints that will interchange with the slip Yoke used on the 240.

2. You also need to address the rear flange as well.

So while it may only cost 15-30 bucks to find a 'used' driveshaft, you're going to spend another 30-40 dollars for the front slip yoke, and another 20-30 for the rear flange. Also gonna spend another 10-30 bucks in U joints as well. So now w'ere around 100-130 bucks in parts alone. Now you gotta measure (not hard, just time), and goto a shop that specialized in drivetrains to cut/weld/balance the entire assembly for you. Figure at a minimum this is going to cost 100-150 bucks.

With all of that in mind, where are you saving money again? Even if you err on the 'small end' of costs, it's still going to be darn near the cost of a new steel one piece.

Trust me when I say, I know it's possible (your process) but I also am realistic at the total cost of it all, and the time as well. To me, saving a few bucks isn't worth the total time to make it all 'work'.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #38
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
With this all said, I do have a Driveshaft Shop 1 piece steel in my S14. It was not balanced well from them, and even with flipping it on the rear flange, and switching it's relationship with the trans too, it still had a horrible vibration. I took it to the shop that does our big truck driveshafts and they rebalanced it, and it's been fine ever since. I sent an email to driveshaft shop about it, and that I had it rebalanced by a shop. They were not very happy about me having it balanced by my shop, and said the warrenty on it would now by void. They suggested that I should have taken it out, shipped it back, had it 'fixed' and then had it shipped back...sorry DSS i'm not waiting 2-3 weeks for your product when I had it back up and running in 2.

Would I buy a DSS shaft again? Hard to say. Fitment was obviously perfect, but the product was not....and their return policy sucks, especially when a Spicer shop rebalances it for me.

In regard to 'feel' or 'power' I can be honest that I didn't feel a damn thing with my car at all...not even in the 'seat of the pants'. However It was a worthwhile upgrade for me, considering my factory U joint failed, and I wanted to upgrade to domestic sized U joints.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #39
TypeXFan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
TypeXFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladetech8 View Post
np!

Yeah I'd definitely wouldn't mind the wait to get the aluminum one for sure. Never cared enough about gas mileage on my 240, so I have no comment on that one.

While you're waiting, I'd order a new rear main seal from Nissan for your tranny. It's a good idea to change it out while your down there and while the driveshaft is out. You should also change out the fluid too unless you've done it already in the last year or so.. My recommendation is Motul GEAR 300 75W90 (100% Ester-based Synthetic) if you want the highest quality stuff or Motul MOTYLGEAR 75W90 (SYNTHETIC BLEND) second best stuff for a cheaper price. If either of those are too much bank for you, then whatever you do don't use Redline MT90, that $#!t sucks major a$$. Made my trans notchy when warm and grind 2nd slightly when cold. Could've been just my trans too..

dude Redline MT-90 made my trans run so much smoother.
TypeXFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #40
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I'm going to disagree here at the process, not so much the concept. I know it 'can work' but think about reality

1. You need to find a shaft thaft has U joints that will interchange with the slip Yoke used on the 240.

2. You also need to address the rear flange as well.

So while it may only cost 15-30 bucks to find a 'used' driveshaft, you're going to spend another 30-40 dollars for the front slip yoke, and another 20-30 for the rear flange. Also gonna spend another 10-30 bucks in U joints as well. So now w'ere around 100-130 bucks in parts alone. Now you gotta measure (not hard, just time), and goto a shop that specialized in drivetrains to cut/weld/balance the entire assembly for you. Figure at a minimum this is going to cost 100-150 bucks.

With all of that in mind, where are you saving money again? Even if you err on the 'small end' of costs, it's still going to be darn near the cost of a new steel one piece.

Trust me when I say, I know it's possible (your process) but I also am realistic at the total cost of it all, and the time as well. To me, saving a few bucks isn't worth the total time to make it all 'work'.
logic win..
although the dude i called said he could use my old driveshaft and so long as i bring him one of the same diameter he could do it for 180... but its still easier and probably cheaper to just buy one lol
just a neat idea
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #41
Kr240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Kr240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
seems like there are a lot of mixxed reviews on this item, some say they can certainly feel the difference while others say it doesn't do a damn thing. hmmmmmm
Kr240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #42
Kr240sx
Leaky Injector

Kr240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
My power plans over the next 2-3 years will probably range between 250-300. Would you guys say its worth the extra money for the aluminum? or will I be just the same with the steel? Would people also agree that the steel breaks the tires easier? Thanks for your suggestions and feedback.
Kr240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #43
92lt1

92lt1 is an unknown quantity at this point
im guessing you have an s13? if not heres one for sale...http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/39351...i-exhaust.html
92lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #44
gripster
Leaky Injector

gripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the rough
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but here's my scenario.

I've spoken to 2 guys who autox their ae86 corollas. They DO NOT drift. The subject of 1-piece driveshafts came up and they both said that the 1-piece is hard to balance. So they are sticking with the factory 2-piece setups. Keep in mind, they have live rear axles, so the driveshaft moves up/down with the axle.

Now, I autox my car -- I DO NOT drift. I need to get my trans rebuild, and would like to get a 1-piece DS as well. But I'm worried about vibrations. How many here have had to get their 1-piece DS rebalanced out of the box. I'm looking at the steel DriveShaft Shop 1 piece.

My car:

Stock sohc KA
5MT
J30 lsd

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #45
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripster View Post
Now, I autox my car -- I DO NOT drift. I need to get my trans rebuild, and would like to get a 1-piece DS as well. But I'm worried about vibrations. How many here have had to get their 1-piece DS rebalanced out of the box. I'm looking at the steel DriveShaft Shop 1 piece.

My car:

Stock sohc KA
5MT
J30 lsd

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I would say get it. I got one back when I had the same set up as you.
I was also worried about vibrations but I feel the one piece is a lot smoother than the stock 2piece.

I now have the 1piece steel DS with DriftFreaq's solid mounts and a SPEC stage 3 clutch and I don't have any vibrations.
Though I know the "diff ear" bushings on my J30 diff are gone. I know ShaftMasters can rebalance the DS free of charge,
you just have to pay for shipping in which case it would be cheaper to find a local spot that can do it for you.
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #46
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
I have a DSS Steel 1 piece also, I got it so I could get rid of the steady bearing.
I don't drift very often, mostly just a once in a while corner.
r200 diff with Cusco 2 way and 4.08
stock SR trans
RPS street clutch
Nismo motor and trans mounts

I don't feel any vibrations from the drive line idling or driving around.

I say get it, the quality is very nice and overall a good buy IMO
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #47
Blk96t
Leaky Injector

Blk96t is an unknown quantity at this point
Just installed shaft masters 1 piece aluminum shaft.
I have a s14 w/ kaaz 2way and bout 265whp sr20
I think it made it a lot snappier. 0 vibration or noises. Broke tires loose a bit easier. Haven't drifted it yet,
You do have to trim the rubber collar on end of transmission
Shaft masters is a worthy upgrade
It makes no sense that a steel shaft would break tires loose easier than aluminum. IT'S just common sense....
Blk96t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #48
tapdeznutz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
tapdeznutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
just throwing my recent experience on this matter. I just picked up a used 1pc steel no name from another member on here. My first impression was visually the 1pc i picked up was about 1/2" shorter than my OEM non-abs 5 spd DS. It was a concern but i installed it anyways. Its been in for about 2 months now and there is some additional sound on decel in gear and lots more in decel in neutral. It seem to help the entire RPM range but more so in the low to mid range.

I do question the noise i am hearing and wonder if it needs a speed balance. I did check for any type of play from the u-joints and did not feel any. Anyways, mods i have are: Stock Ka24E with Grounding Kit, Intake, Headers, 2.5" resonated test pipe to 2/5" HKS HiPower exhaust, and ASP Aluminum crank pulley.

Last edited by tapdeznutz; 07-16-2013 at 12:31 PM..
tapdeznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #49
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
^^Pop it out, flip it 180* and bolt it back up... Sounds crazy but it's worth a shot... DSS puts this on their website- sometimes it works; and as Cody Ace said, sometimes it doesn't. Aside from that, you may have to have it balanced.

I noticed the noisiness with my DSS aluminum... Not a single bit of extra revving, pickup etc. In my case, I am building for power & have systematically refurbished the entire underbody; and additionally, going to the 1-piece merely eliminated a potential point of failure (carrier bearing) from the equation.

I wouldn't call it an 'investment' if you aren't building the car to handle the amount of torque these things are designed to be able to take. I beat the living shit out of my 350+hp 180SX week after week- never had a single issue with the 2-piece.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #50
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I had to have a u-joint replaced and have my DSS 1-piece rebalanced after a few thousand miles of use. I called them and explained the situation just as Cody did and got the same reply. However, I asked for reembursment of the cost of rebalance, obviously that didn't get me anywhere. I'm sorry, I'm not sending back the shaft to have them do something a local shop can do in minimal downtime.

I generally have my shaft rebalanced every time it is out of my car just for peace of mind. I know I know, it doesn't need to be, but I think of the shaft expanding and contracting with temperature changes(which in Fl winters can be quite drastic) and not always being bolted up(I.e. laying around on uneven surfaces or not propped up vertically).

I now have a Mazworx driveshaft with my VG trans, which for all I know could've come from DSS.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #51
tapdeznutz
Nissanaholic!

thanks for feedback JR_SS and Mikester. I will give the 180 thing a shot and report back. What does a rebalance run anyways?

I mainly wanted to go with the lighter DS for MPG. Was hoping it would give me like at least 0.5MPG or so, call me stupid but that was my reason. Same for when i did my aluminum crank pulley, it gave me +1mpg maybe more if i just do Hwy driving only but with my current mixed driving of 50% stop and go LA traffic and 50% when traffic opens up, etc. I did know it freed up the revs a bit. I guess on a NA car every 1hp or so goes along ways I will report back on the MPG benefit if there is any or not.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #52
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Depending on the shop between $75 and $125 atleast down here.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #53
tapdeznutz
Nissanaholic!

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdeznutz View Post
just throwing my recent experience on this matter. I just picked up a used 1pc steel no name from another member on here. My first impression was visually the 1pc i picked up was about 1/2" shorter than my OEM non-abs 5 spd DS. It was a concern but i installed it anyways. Its been in for about 2 months now and there is some additional sound on decel in gear and lots more in decel in neutral. It seem to help the entire RPM range but more so in the low to mid range.

I do question the noise i am hearing and wonder if it needs a speed balance. I did check for any type of play from the u-joints and did not feel any. Anyways, mods i have are: Stock Ka24E with Grounding Kit, Intake, Headers, 2.5" resonated test pipe to 2/5" HKS HiPower exhaust, and ASP Aluminum crank pulley.
Just an update to my situation. I originally thought i have a 1pc abs DS rather than the non-abs that i supposedly purchased. I reason i say that is because i just upgraded to a j30 jiff with 5 bolt axles. The extra noises I was hearing have gone away but now i am starting to get grinding which i think is dis-engagement of the DS and the Transmission. I sent and email to ShaftMasters for help and they are asking me to take 2 measurements which i will try to do later today and get back to them. I now have no idea what DS i have. Fawk Zilvians for selling F'ed up parts man...what is this community coming too...anyways will report back
Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #54
BlewByYou
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
BlewByYou is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
This is common sense. Alum!!! period. Factory cars come with Alum now and even carbon Fiber..

Your making how much power? 300hp 500hp 1200hp, How about Promod cars that make 2500hp? Wonder if theirs is Alum? YES

Alum isnt the question here, Its how big DIA. the Shaft is.

Anything over 600hp go with a 4" Dia.

It all comes down to "do they know how to fab a shaft properly"
BlewByYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #55
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have decided to go with the shaftmasters.com 1 pc steel shaft (non abs) and im putting a spool in my rear end
Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #56
WOTandSDWYS
Leaky Injector

WOTandSDWYS is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to WOTandSDWYS
Had an enjuku ally drives haft a couple 240s ago. Was a ridiculously good improvement and will be a purchase on my new knew as well. Coupled with a fidanza flywheel and the whole set of unorthodox underdrive pulleys that they used to make was just awesome. It did have quite a lot more driveline noise afterwards but who cares.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta