Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-23-2022, 08:48 PM   #1
BoredMikey

Trader Rating: (0)
BoredMikey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 240SX Kouki Tails Brake lights not working

My first post on here so bare with me and perfect timing for the forum to be back up!

I bought these brand new 180SX Kouki tails for my 1992 240SX just about a month ago and installed them just over 2 weeks ago.

Install with the lights went great, super easy to put in but as soon as they were in issues started to arise.

Immediately after I had put them in I realized the stock pig tails did not match with the new female ends on the lights. My first thought was to get adapters but I could not find a good place to buy the right amount of adapters for the right price.

As the next logical step I went to the forums for answers and after reading forum posts that are nearly as old as me I decided to splice the wires together. As far back as I could find in 2007 people were splicing the wires on their Kouki tails so I saw no issue with me doing it. Below are the photos of my splicing's on the Outside brake light, Turn Signal, Inside brake light, and reverse lights.

Passenger side outside brake light and turn signal

Passenger side inside brake light

Passenger side reverse light

Driver side reverse light

Driver side inside brake light

Driver side Outside brake light and turn signal

After all this was done everything worked fine, both outside and inside lights are working, both turn signals and the revers lights are all working fine (tested by turning on the running lights). However, the one thing that does not work is my braking lights. When the brake pedal is pressed down, the 2nd phase of the light bulbs does not ignite indicating braking. This does not work on the brakes with or without the running lights on. I checked, fuses, nothing was blown, and checked the diagrams and saw that everything comes back to the brake light switch that is attached to the brake pedal. So with forums providing me nothing else I ordered a brand new brake light switch as it was pretty cheap.

Today the switch arrived and I plugged it in but did not fully install it as a means to test to see if it would solve the issue

New brake light switch

With nothing seeming to work out in my favor I've come here for any help I can get.

Some other things to note about this:
- When I installed the lights my entire aftermarket stereo that came with the car stopped working
- The brake light bar that is on the hatch itself is not working (I do not know if this worked in the first place, assuming it did)
- Car had parasitic battery drain when I bought it but issue was partially solved by buying a larger battery

I think at this point I am going to take my car to an automotive electrician so I can have any electrical issues solved with my car because to me it looks like I have a bit more than I thought and I don't have the knowledge or skill to take apart all my wiring.

Any help that can be given to me about the lights that could solve the issue whether it be relays, grounds or splicing or all the above is appreciated.

- cheers, also if there are any formatting issues with this post feel free to let me know.
BoredMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links