Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quebec RHD ban.

Do I live in Canada, no. But I found this interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/05/06/righthand-drive.html
Quebec has become the first Canadian province to temporarily ban imports of right-hand-drive vehicles.

For the next six months, no one in the province will be able to import a personal vehicle designed to drive on the left side of the road.

The province's automobile insurance board says it wants time to evaluate the safety of the vehicles, but owners of right-hand-drive vehicles say there is no cause for concern.

Montrealer Paul Nunes said Wednesday his wife's 19-year-old Nissan 300ZX is one of the many cars his company has imported to Quebec from Japan.

"It's a normal car," he said. "There's no modifications. It's in excellent condition. It sailed through its inspection."

Nunes can't understand why Quebec would impose a six-month moratorium on right-hand-drive vehicles, and he worries other provinces might follow suit.

"This may domino. Other transport ministries may use this as leverage to get similar legislation passed," he said.

Nunes said more than 2,000 owners have signed an online petition against the moratorium.

Quebec's automobile insurance board, the Société de l'Assurance Automobile du Québec (SAAQ), says there are about 3,000 right-hand-drive vehicles on the province's roads. It says the trend is growing because there are plenty of good second-hand cars available in Japan, where people drive on the left side of the road.

A board spokesman, Gaëtan Bergeron, said right-hand-drive cars aren't designed for Quebec roads, and they don't always meet Transport Canada safety standards.

Bergeron acknowledged there have been no fatalities as a result of the right-hand-drive aspect of a vehicle, but, he said, the board wants to analyze accident reports and consult other cities before the government considers lifting the ban.

Read more: CBC News - Montreal - Quebec temporarily bans import of right-hand-drive vehicles
Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is against RHD.
the worst I can think of is that it's a minor inconvenience w/ toll booths.
gov'ts could just RHD cars a bit more & profit off of it.

be thankful you don't have CARB-like laws out there.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
i've always kind of wanted to have a rhd car, just so people at drive thrus and parking attendants and valets would be like "LOL WUT". other than that i see no appeal, and it's a minor handicap being on the wrong side of the car.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
^^ Or being on the correct side of the car! hahahaha!!! depends on POV...
Old 03-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
HyperLeafBlower

HyperLeafBlower is on the path to ruinHyperLeafBlower is on the path to ruin
oy vey, I live one province over from Quebec. Thats a stupid law.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
alpha180sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
alpha180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
any politicians will always have something new? why not focus on drug smuggling and criminals

geeez
alpha180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stinky_180
theres a carls jr near my work with the drive thru pick up window is on the passenger side....
Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
TeamFRAT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
TeamFRAT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Way to fail again, canada......

...stupids.
TeamFRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
There is no point to RHD

...unless the car only comes in RHD

...and it is a cool car.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
TeamFRAT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
TeamFRAT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
There is no point to RHD

...and it is a cool car.

Ya....like mail trucks!
TeamFRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
This is important...

Not.

Sounds like the board of transport is just bored.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
There is no point to RHD

...and it is a cool car.
there is no point in getting a car on the sole basis of it being RHD.
those who brag about it, is completely meaningless imo.

that being said, I also don't see why there should be anything against it either.
It's not like like it would be more of a pollutant and/or more unsafe.
It's not like it would give the said politician more or less votes to ban RHD.

If anything, govt's are just cutting off another source of revenue they could otherwise tax.
(yeah it's not a lot of $$$, but it's revenue nonetheless).

I really fail to comprehend the rationale behind such meaningless laws.
It's almost like the governments are banning shit for the sake of it.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
^^ Or being on the correct side of the car! hahahaha!!! depends on POV...
if you drive on the right, you should be on the left. that's how the roads are set up. unless you're delivering mail, you should probably have lhd.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
its great on the track if your right handed.

but in reality, they suck dick. left hand turns are brutal, no drive thrus.. bleh
Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilviaKid View Post
its great on the track if your right handed.

but in reality, they suck dick. left hand turns are brutal, no drive thrus.. bleh
i feel like shifting is probably pretty ambidextrous. of course, i'm left handed, so maybe i don't get the same feel you guys do in a left hand drive manual.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #16
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
damn.. i cant stand all these governmental regulations, to me its all bullshit!! whats next they gonna impose a law on motor vehicles even those that are found in their own country, its not the car that dangerous, its the stupid drivers that the DMV passes that makes a car dangerous shit even i can make a geo metro dangerous !!! i dont see this law being justified, to me its just another way of making the government control the masses!!
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #17
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Nation S13 View Post
damn.. i cant stand all these governmental regulations, to me its all bullshit!! whats next they gonna impose a law on motor vehicles even those that are found in their own country, its not the car that dangerous, its the stupid drivers that the DMV passes that makes a car dangerous shit even i can make a geo metro dangerous !!! i dont see this law being justified, to me its just another way of making the government control the masses!!
you're blowing this waaaaay out of proportion.
also, this is Canada we're talking about. not southern California.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
you're blowing this waaaaay out of proportion.
also, this is Canada we're talking about. not southern California.
that is why im blowing it out of proportion, cause its what i have to live by all the time, CARB sucks, cops out here pull you over just for having RHD. if canada can do it, what makes the states any different.
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
BustedS13
Post Whore!

i think they should. you're just creating a handicap by driving on the wrong side on public roads. you are creating a safety hazard.
and to this community, not being able to convert to rhd would be like not being able to bedazzle your favorite capri pants.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #20
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
that is why im blowing it out of proportion, cause its what i have to live by all the time, CARB sucks, cops out here pull you over just for having RHD. if canada can do it, what makes the states any different.
Your argument lacks any valid points.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
Slammed180
Zilvia FREAK!

Slammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of light
RHD is boring. Nissans are boring.
I'm getting rid of my RHD Nissan for a Lotus.
This thread is boring.
Fap
Old 03-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #22
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Quote:
i feel like shifting is probably pretty ambidextrous. of course, i'm left handed, so maybe i don't get the same feel you guys do in a left hand drive manual.
I'm left-handed as well,
and I prefer shifting with a lhd.

Having driven in some miscellaneous parts of europe, japan, & hong kong (learned to drive there),
I can say it just doesn't feel right driving in a rhd car,
and shifting with my right hand.

maybe it's just a matter of practice, idk.
I'm sure ppl just get used to it either way.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #23
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Oh come on you exaggerate as bad as the stupid out of state people. Give it a fucking rest. LOL

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #24
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
This is what socialized healthcare will lead to.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #25
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
its just nice because if your right handed, you take your dominant hand off the wheel to shift. to be able to keep your stronger dominant hand on the wheel while shifting is amazing.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #26
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
rhd is ghay anyway
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #27
sephiroth99
Leaky Injector

sephiroth99 is on a distinguished road
OK I'll try to explain some points.

First, you must know that in Québec, we have the SAAQ (as mentionned in the article). They provide standard DMV services, like plates and driving license, but they also provide an universal "personal damage" coverage for all Québec residents for every accident related to cars. We all pay $60+ (I don't know exactly) each year on our license for that coverage (which we don't have to pay through a private insurance compagny, obviously) and we get coverage for physical damage in a car accident, or even physical damage if we are hit by a car as a pedestrian for example.

You must also know that the funds of the SAAQ were "wrongly" taken to finance other spheres of the governement. So right now, the SAAQ is in the red.

So, when the SAAQ sees those new kind of cars, and they see those awful "statistics", they sure don't want to pay, so they ban them. Problem is that the statistics they base their judgment on are either wrong or biaised. The only real study was done in British Columbia by the association of insurers or something...

So they decided to ban for 6 months. But you see, the 6 months expired in November 09... They could not prove that RHD caused more accidents, so they decided to continue the "temporary" ban for another 6 months....

And there is another reason why they would want to ban them... Pure politics... the current Québec governement is pursuing all the car and bike enthusiasts for the sake of "safety". And it works, with all the baby boomers agreeing blindly!! They introduced speed cameras and red light cameras. They introduced bigger fines for excessive speeding (remember they are broke). They doubled, tripled and even quadrupled the cost of a motorcycle driving license (they say its because they are dangerous on the road... but it's because they are broke). They ban RHD cars for.. who knows how much time now... all for safety. But we all know it's because it's a joke to get your driving license here. Make driving school harder and more useful, with winter driving, night driving courses. That will reduce accidents.

Anyway sorry for the rant.
sephiroth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #28
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
yes, lets ban anything we can on this continent before we can actually certify that it is not safe for the roads after intensive crash testing and driving as auto manufactures do. Importation of jspec cars is good business in Vancouver, B.C. if it gets banned there, ill know then that this big chunk of land called North America has gone down the shitter. and since when is liability such a concern in a socialist country, and is this just a french thing? hmm.
SlideWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #29
sephiroth99
Leaky Injector

sephiroth99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideWell View Post
and is this just a french thing? hmm.
you know, there are english people living in Québec too
sephiroth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #30
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideWell View Post
yes, lets ban anything we can on this continent before we can actually certify that it is not safe for the roads after intensive crash testing and driving as auto manufactures do. Importation of jspec cars is good business in Vancouver, B.C. if it gets banned there, ill know then that this big chunk of land called North America has gone down the shitter. and since when is liability such a concern in a socialist country, and is this just a french thing? hmm.
what the fuck are you talking about? you're acting like cars are criminal suspects, innocent until proven guilty.
guess what, Vancouver will be fine without importing a handful of 15 year old shitboxes yearly.