Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes, the build that started in 2007. . .

while I've had the car over 2 years now, I started a build thread on a smaller local forum, but never here on Zilvia.

The skinny: When I bought the car it was a KA-T, blown. The body looked straight, I did notice one rust hole, then found more at the bottom of the firewall. I started on the car when I was in college, I had plenty of time to throw at the car then, now I've started my 40/hr a week job, and have less time to throw at it.

The plan: replace the rust, make a car that is track worthy, and an all around badass. I'll go ahead and tell you that the car was originally LHD, the windshield had a leak for who knows how long, and that went ahead and made rust holes in the floor, carpet covered that well so the previous owner didn't even know about it.

I don't have many pics of what I started with, but here's what I do have.

nice comparison huh?

that was 2 years ago, this is now
fuel cell mount

less metal in the trunk, believe it or not, you can make your OEM trunk lighter than any CF you can get.

pretty much what it looks like now

the valvetrain, all Brian Crower

a friend wrecked his S13, so I got the Nismo brace cheap, not too shabby.

THE ENGINE TEAR DOWN: most recent work

added spot welds to the door seams:

at this point this is all mock up, before the car is complete the car will be stripped of everything that is bolted on to it, notice the floor? that will all be undercoated.

as of last friday the engine is at the machine shop, full head work, here's some extra's I'm dropping off this weekend.

I still have alot of work left, and as of now, only get to work on the car on the weekends, everything pictured has taken place over the last 2 years. This isn't something that just happened last week. I'll try to keep updated as much as possible, hope you guys enjoy my money pit.

Last edited by onehundredoctane; 06-03-2015 at 12:50 PM..
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Damn now thats some rust, but good way to freshen up the car.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
way to take on the challange i know alot of guys who wouldnt touch a car with that kinda rust. cant wait to see how it all turns out.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
eds13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
eds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eds13
very sweet. i hate rust
Old 01-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to koukimonster139
ssiigghhhhhhhh
Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
kikit-sideways
Leaky Injector

kikit-sideways has a little shameless behavior in the past
love that nismo front brace, going to consider getting one of those.
kikit-sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Vision Garage
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Vision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Vision Garage
your car actually scares me. ITs like putting a new heart on an old body. What did you do to remedy the decay of the frame?

Vision Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

SW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfection
all i want for christmas is a wire brush wheel and some powdercoat in a can...

c'mon! you all know the words!
SW20Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
BigCrash

BigCrash is making a name for him/her selfBigCrash is making a name for him/her self
Nice work but why do you have so many coilovers?

BigCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #10
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

SW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfection
^^gawd i hope youre joking...
SW20Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 AM   #11
s14_rob
Zilvia Junkie

s14_rob is on a distinguished road
wow...lol ^......
s14_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 AM   #12
KOUKI KAN KAN

KOUKI KAN KAN is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKI KAN KAN is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKI KAN KAN is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKI KAN KAN is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKI KAN KAN is making his/her stupidity well-known
Can you guys say DEEE DA DEEEE!!!^^^
KOUKI KAN KAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:36 AM   #13
soon2bs13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
soon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownsoon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownsoon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownsoon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soon2bs13
nice mods and good luck with the build...

but looking at the under carriage and all the rust, is that car gonna be driveable?

those diff. bolts look like they are gonna snap.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #14
S13SilviaGirl
UGH Really?

Trader Rating: (4)
S13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfectionS13SilviaGirl is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCrash View Post
Nice work but why do you have so many coilovers?

You can't be serious, and if your joking...make it more apparent next time.

My Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCSuperstar
I surf Zilvia naked in my home...
S13SilviaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:28 AM   #15
BigCrash

BigCrash is making a name for him/her selfBigCrash is making a name for him/her self
I figured the ludicrousness of the statement itself would have made it apparent.

Anywho, nice build!
BigCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #16
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
I did the samething to my trunk, and it wasn't much weight AT ALL. Just made the trunk flimsy and make loud sounds when I closed it.
Carbon is definetly lighter.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
coilovers? um, yeah, ok.

anyway, to answer questions, the rust has been fixed by combination of cut and weld, and the sections that aren't as bad get stripped to bare metal, ground smooth, and coated in POR-15, great stuff.
hope this gives you an idea, it gets a bit messy, using a chemical based stripping agent, you will need to let it sit for about 15 minutes to penetrate, then scrape, usually I repeat this process 2 or 3 times before it will get the area to bare metal.

^ here is an example, I didn't even really think about rust lurking under the surface, I knew there was enough here and there, but when I stripped this area, I found 2 spots, you should be able to see one here, look near the lower right of the picture, there you go, see that? CANCER! after stripping an area I use POR-15 and make 2 coats with that, which turns out something like this (on the radiator support)

nice huh? after that you can lightly scuff the surface and spray a rubberized undercoating on it, atleast that's what I like to do to areas that are not inside the engine bay and visible when the hood is open, which turns out looking something like this (driver side floor pan)

Most of you know that when you buy a front clip the main harness is cut right in half, after re-wiring everything in the back half of the car I found that the only mistake I made was in the rear speakers.
One small problem that I found in putting on the Z32 brakes, was that the American LHD bmc doesn't exactly like the right strut tower, see how the out put to the rear brakes almost touches the strut tower? Instead of getting a rhd Z32 bmc (too many abbreviations in a row?) I think it will be easier, to just make a small hole in the strut tower and run some line from the bmc back into the engine bay somewhere, this will help if I ever decide to remove the bmc, and replace it with another lhd bmc, or at least that is my rationalization.

that's about all I have for now, check for updates after this weekend.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #18
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeshemp44 View Post
less metal in the trunk, believe it or not, you can make your OEM trunk lighter than any CF you can get.
any proof to support this statement? if it's true, I'd be interested in doing it which is the only reason I ask.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #19
240truk
Zilvia Member

240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about
that handbrake setup is siiiiickkk!!! where did you pick that up?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

^CNC brakes, here is a link to the main page http://www.cncbrakes.com/ and a link to the exact product, http://www.cncbrakes.com/hsb.asp?grp...412&subseries=

I don't have proof right on hand, but I can take it off and weight it, I dare say it is less than 15 lbs. now, I have noticed a I have a small leak somewhere,but I'm not sure it is a result from the bracing removal. Then again, I have 3 trunk lids, and I felt like messing around on that one.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:30 AM   #21
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bs13 View Post
but looking at the under carriage and all the rust, is that car gonna be driveable?

those diff. bolts look like they are gonna snap.
actually everything on the diff has been cleaned up, and a Z32 diff rest nicely in there now, I'm getting another sub-frame then having it blasted and powder coated, then swapping it all over.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #22
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

machine shop sechs

looks great

smooth as ass

hot tanked, 3 angle, +1 mm on the exhaust seats, ported, re-shimmed for proper spring height, and resurfaced, Brian Crower springs, valves, and cams in the head, stock valve guides were used in the re-build.
should have progress on the body posted after this weekend, anyone ever seen a bare mteal S13?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
RedtopTech
Zilvia Member

RedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud of
great build. During my build i went with 6mm sr20de guides and ferrea ss valves on both the intake and exhaust. There is an insane weight difference b/w the sodium filled factory valves and the ferrea 6mm ss. Also how did you go about setting the rocker height? I ended up getting a tool fabricated to fit perfectly inside the lifter bore and provide a mounting point for my dial indicator. It worked out great but it was "one more expense" toward the build.
RedtopTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

the pics are literally from a few hours ago, the lifters haven't been installed yet, my friend owns the machine shop that is doing all the work and has been in the business for more than 16 years, when it comes to those details I simply don't ask questions and trust the pro.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #25
RedtopTech
Zilvia Member

RedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud of
nice to have someone you can trust with your shit like that. Ive been in the biz for a while now and personaly wouldnt let half of the pro's out there change my oil.
RedtopTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #26
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

I know exactly what you mean, I've learned alot thru this so far, to HP Engines credit they have build many Honda B series n/a and boosted engines the majority over 400 hp, when it comes to V8's I can't even begin to tell you the depth they've gone into, as far as SR's go I think they have done 10 so far. I know last time I was there they had an all aluminum 460 cu. in. Ford block that was build for 1200hp doing one 1/4 mile at the time, and my piss ass 4 cylinder isn't much compared to that, granted they are completely different engines. Thanks for the input!

edit: added more info
Old 01-26-2008, 11:33 PM   #27
frankist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
frankist has a spectacular aura aboutfrankist has a spectacular aura aboutfrankist has a spectacular aura aboutfrankist has a spectacular aura aboutfrankist has a spectacular aura aboutfrankist has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
what type of wheels are those? i thought rota grids didnt clear z brakes. correct me if im wrong, nice build =)
Old 01-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #28
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

dt05rs, copies of the LMGT4's, fronts are 16-7, rears are 16-8.5
Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #29
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

thought I would post an update of the progress I made last weekend, at some point the whole car will look like this.

above: no the jack isn't touching the car, theres a jack stand on the rear sub-frame.

below:removing the flange cleans up the lower part of the quarter panel, atleast looks better to the eyes,

below is the end result of cutting away, tho not the final product, it will pretty much look this way when it's finalized.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #30
ByeByeSti
Banned from the Marketplace

ByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant future
glad your resurecting her from the dead and not giving up!! keep at it man, your engine looks amazing right now, wish i could say the same for mine haha. but more pics as soon as you make some more progress!
ByeByeSti is offline   Reply With Quote