Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #1
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
B&M shortshifter question.

I have a 96 240sx, and Im having a problem with a smell coming form the shifter hole, I was told that if you have a B&M shortshifter youll get all new parts and the smell will go away. if you have a B&M shortshifter coudl you please tell me if this is true. thanks.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
TAMTANIUM
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
TAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't think that is true. You prolly didn't seal the shifter plate good enough, so the oil is prolly leaking out and burning. Does it smell like oil at all?
TAMTANIUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #3
miucus
Zilvia Addict

miucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond reputemiucus has a reputation beyond repute
yeah its probably the seal. do u see smoke coming out?
miucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:50 AM   #4
s13silvia03
Zilvia Addict

Location: PA.....I always thought that dogs...umm...layed eggs, and I learned something today
Trader Rating: (0)
s13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13silvia03
Like they said, the rubber boot on the shifter is probably tore, if you buy a B&M, it does have a new rubber boot installed on it.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
Jung918
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Jung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if your getting a smell, something is wrong. Either you don't have enough oil or your leaking it. Check under the car and see if you get any leaks from the front, rear, sensors, shifter plate area, etc. Also check your oil level.
Jung918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia03
Like they said, the rubber boot on the shifter is probably tore, if you buy a B&M, it does have a new rubber boot installed on it.
I agree. It's probably just the boot. Start with the easy solutions first, before the hard ones.

The one under the accordian one (the smaller one)

It's cheap, like $5 from dealer

Take off the accordian boot and see

I'm not a fan of the short shifters on 240, can't figure out what damn gear you're in haha

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
nsany(atl)
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
nsany(atl) is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
it comes with all new parts you just need to seal the b&m with some rtv and the smell should go away
Old 12-06-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Oil is on the rubber piece as said prior.

Unless you like a few other people, who didn't install the front two screws since they are harder to get to. Oil could be coming from there.

When I had a problem like that, I refitted the seal and cleaned the whole area with some simple green.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Spec Products
I'm not a fan of the short shifters on 240, can't figure out what damn gear you're in haha
Yeah but you'll need one if you're putting on a 6" bubble shift knob....

I've felt a B&M shifter's shifts with a 6" bubble shift knob, feels like a tighter stock shifter as far as shift throws go. It's a nice.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Problem is, as with a lot of s14's is it sloshes around and comes out of the shifter hole. Now udner hard driving on my old s14 and a friend of mines even with the rubber boot on there it would still leak out of the top hole. Not sure if there is a seal for the shifter hole where the c-clip is but as I have seen them they just have the plastic pieces on the shifter and then the c-ring and thats it. The b&m replaces the whole top plate and has seals on the shifter correct? I think that is his question. I might have had a bad experience with ka trans in s14's but most of the ones I have seen leak out of the top and smell. When I stripped my old s14 it had trans fluid all inside the car with all 3 boots installed?!
Old 12-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
BC240
Zilvia Junkie

BC240 will become famous soon enoughBC240 will become famous soon enoughBC240 will become famous soon enoughBC240 will become famous soon enoughBC240 will become famous soon enough
+1 For the boot, If you get the B&M it will come with all new boots including the one that is probably cracked on yours causing the smell. If you just want to fix the problem buy the boot and replace it, It takes 10-15 mins. I can get your a part number and supply pictures if you need.
BC240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #12
MrSkinny
Zilvia Member

MrSkinny is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC240
+1 For the boot, If you get the B&M it will come with all new boots including the one that is probably cracked on yours causing the smell. If you just want to fix the problem buy the boot and replace it, It takes 10-15 mins. I can get your a part number and supply pictures if you need.

could you do that please ? i need to replace those boots
Old 12-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #13
BC240
Zilvia Junkie

BC240 will become famous soon enoughBC240 will become famous soon enoughBC240 will become famous soon enoughBC240 will become famous soon enoughBC240 will become famous soon enough
im at work right now so I need to wait till I get home to post the actual pictures of what I did. The RED arrow is the boot I replaced, it was cracked open and causing fine smoke to enter my cabin after long trips or heavy acceleration. but you should also check and replace the BLUE boot if its damaged also. as for the part number ill have to find it on my reciept later. Also I had to go out and buy new zipties as upper/lower boot retainers, I wouldn't recommend re-using the old ones.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #14
s13silvia03
Zilvia Addict

Location: PA.....I always thought that dogs...umm...layed eggs, and I learned something today
s13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to s13silvia03
I believe this is the boot you would need, I believe it should be the one that BC240 has the red arrow going to.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
BC240
Zilvia Junkie

Could be, but it doesn't even show the picture. All im saying is the part that fixed my smoking shifter is the one with the red arrow, it is possible that the leak could be coming from another part of the assembly. Just start taking it apart like in the picture and look for holes, whatever has one bring into the dealership and ask for a new one. Just be careful because they aren't very smart and tried to sell me the wrong boot.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #16
BC240
Zilvia Junkie

Ok heres a few pics, The first one you see is after you take the top panel off, this is the second boot (the first being the leather wrapping attached to the bezel). Make sure this is undamaged and take it off:

This picture shows the second boot, make sure its undamaged and take it off:

Another better shot showing the damage:

If yours is damaged take it off and replaced it with the new one by sliding it on and zap strapping it tight. here is the finished product

After I did this I had no smoke and no smell, and both were very noticable beforehand. I have more pictures but its fairly simple. If someone wants me to do a better writeup I will. Oh and FYI I took those :ghey: mats out, they came with the car to protect the original 240sx ones but were to ugly to look at.