Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
S14Speed997
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
S14Speed997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A/C took a crap

I was leaving work to pick up lunch, drove about 30 ft, and all of a sudden "phhhssshhh", and my a/c turns off...so i turn the knob to #1, nothing. #2, nothing. #3, nothing. I click on #4, and it comes out full blast, and cold.

does anyone have any clue what the heck happened?? its a 97...

thanks - Eric
Old 08-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
ibanezxguy
Zilvia Member

ibanezxguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ibanezxguy
your switch is gone, the resistors have an open in them.
ibanezxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
More likely though the switch is fine, it's the resistor that's blown.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
S14Speed997
Zilvia Junkie

S14Speed997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
More likely though the switch is fine, it's the resistor that's blown.
The "phhsssssstttt" sound i heard right after it shut off makes me believe something blew....I am in no way familiar with the a/c unit in my car...of course this happens when its 100 degrees down here
Old 08-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
RedlineRacer
Zilvia FREAK!

RedlineRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to RedlineRacer Send a message via AIM to RedlineRacer
yeah, i'd say its the resistor. I had to replace one a few years ago on my car. It was only like $30 from nissan. And it is easy to replace.
RedlineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:22 AM   #6
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Check your AC lines....ive heard of atleast 5 S14 guys who broke the low pressure AC line rite on the pump *me being one of them*

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #7
lilredstiffy
Zilvia Addict

lilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to lilredstiffy Send a message via AIM to lilredstiffy
Sounds like the relay for the a/c fan to me...I don't know if they are set up exactly the same between s13 and s14 though.
lilredstiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:30 PM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx
Check your AC lines....ive heard of atleast 5 S14 guys who broke the low pressure AC line rite on the pump *me being one of them*
But that wouldn't explain the loss of fan speeds, the blower would still work fine if that was the case.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 08-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
sncs14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
sncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx
+1 for having had the hose brake on their S14. but it doesn't sound like the hose is the culprit here
sncs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
Siizzzoooo
Zilvia FREAK!

Siizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really nice
its the resister, my 98 has the same problem
Old 08-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
Al_S14
BANNED

Al_S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Al_S14 Send a message via MSN to Al_S14
Its a Blower Transistor not a resistor if i am not mistaking.
Al_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:36 AM   #12
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_S14
Its a Blower Transistor not a resistor if i am not mistaking.

No, it is not a transistor. The FSM clearly labels it as a RESISTOR.
It's not a relay either like mentioned above, because there is no blower fan relay in the HVAC system.

Honestly, why do people continue to post pointless and incorrect information to a thread about parts that don't even exist when it's already been answered?

Old 08-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #13
AzNCmB
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
AzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond reputeAzNCmB has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AzNCmB
where is the resistor located?
AzNCmB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #14
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
fan doesn't work, its definitely the resistor.

your a/c is probably still working. here's how to check. turn on the a/c. set the vents to open air and set fan to 4. now drive at 80mph. feel cold air coming out? that means your a/c is working, but your fan simply isn't blowing it out to you.

the resistor everyone is talking about is under the glove compartment behind the fan blower itself. two screws hold it in. it comes in and out almost like a videogame cartridge.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #15
publicenemy137
Zilvia Junkie

publicenemy137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to publicenemy137
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14Speed997
I was leaving work to pick up lunch, drove about 30 ft, and all of a sudden "phhhssshhh", and my a/c turns off...so i turn the knob to #1, nothing. #2, nothing. #3, nothing. I click on #4, and it comes out full blast, and cold.

does anyone have any clue what the heck happened?? its a 97...

thanks - Eric
I had the exact same problem, i didn't have 1 2 or 3, but 4 worked. It's the blower resistor pack, it's very easy to replace and cheap. I paid $23 I think, you can get it at courtesy nissan. It's in the passenger footwell, just take out two screws to replace. Do a search on here for blower resistor pack, there's a thread that shows you the exact place to replace it.

Once i replaced it, 1 2 and 3 worked again

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY CARDOMAIN!

help me decide my next set of rims
publicenemy137 is offline   Reply With Quote