Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-08-2023, 11:04 PM   #2971
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnc0329 View Post
Quick question regarding a paint job.. So I'm getting my s13 hatch painted and I was told by the shop that they advise removing the rear quarter glass so that the paint can get the best adhesion. Otherwise, they say that there's a possibility the paint can chip from where the rear quarter glass trim meets the body of the car.

So my question is, for those of you who have gotten complete paint jobs, did you have the rear quarter glass removed? If not, how has the paint held up in the aforementioned area? TYIA!!
Agree with the above post. Remove the glass if it's a car you're planning on keeping. You won't want to pay for the prep and body work again if the paint starts falling apart at the window seams.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2023, 08:08 AM   #2972
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Any good body shop can tape the seal back so they can prep and paint a little past the rubber edge, but if you're paying thousands for a full respray definitely remove all the glass.

This will also expose any possibly hidden rust or failed window sealant that needs repaired anyway.

The only issue is the S13 rear quarter windows are no longer available as far as I know, and you can't just find new edge molding either so if they cut them during removal you're stuck searching for another decent used one that someone removed properly.
projectsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:32 PM   #2973
schassis240

Trader Rating: (0)
schassis240 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I really want to paint my 240sx, this is inspiring me
schassis240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:11 PM   #2974
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectsupra View Post
Any good body shop can tape the seal back so they can prep and paint a little past the rubber edge, but if you're paying thousands for a full respray definitely remove all the glass.

This will also expose any possibly hidden rust or failed window sealant that needs repaired anyway.

The only issue is the S13 rear quarter windows are no longer available as far as I know, and you can't just find new edge molding either so if they cut them during removal you're stuck searching for another decent used one that someone removed properly.
You cant tape the weatherstripping back. Have you touched a quarter panel window before? The rubber is extremely thick and impossible to lift. In fact, installers need to be extra careful not to use techniques like piano wire because it will gouge / mar the rubber. Removal can be extremely tricky especially when the sealant is old and hard.

I was fortunate enough to buy new glass for both S13 hatch and S14. The S13 glass was bought around 2008 and I thought it was expensive. The S14 glass I bought back in 2017 and I thought that was way overpriced as well. Nowadays I pity anyone trying to do a build or restoration because the costs are just unreasonable or the parts are flat out discontinued.

Back in 2018 I chalked this all up as "the end of an era" as theres just no way parts for these cars are going to be available. Worse, pricing has turned me off to the point where its hard to enjoy owning these cars really. $2400 for quarter glass? Gimme a break.

edit: and this is no S30 240Z. The modern S-chassis has way too much rubber and plastic and unless we have serious volume and connections with manufacturers, no one is going to produce these parts. Compared with the S30 Z, there are a lot less parts on that car and they are a lot simpler in construction.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:29 AM   #2975
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
You cant tape the weatherstripping back. Worse, pricing has turned me off to the point where its hard to enjoy owning these cars really. $2400 for quarter glass? Gimme a break.

edit: and this is no S30 240Z. The modern S-chassis has way too much rubber and plastic and unless we have serious volume and connections with manufacturers, no one is going to produce these parts. Compared with the S30 Z, there are a lot less parts on that car and they are a lot simpler in construction.
I took my windows out of the s14 and I'm at odds with how I feel about it.

I did see that there was some surface rust building under the seal (which failed but wasn't visible). There is a used set which I have that is going in to replace that.
Had I not taken it out, I would have had it painted and yeah maybe my paint job would have eventually lifted at the hard edges but it wouldn't be parked in the garage as it still is.

As far as parts sourcing goes, yeah the old school manufacturers aren't suddenly tooling up for our cars. I think it's going to be better for us though since I'm seeing some smaller shops stepping into it. I just saw some Chinese company start selling the S14 weatherstripping for the doors now. So far people seem to like it. I don't have the link for it.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #2976
splitfire
Leaky Injector

splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You cant tape the weatherstripping back. Have you touched a quarter panel window before? The rubber is extremely thick and impossible to lift. In fact, installers need to be extra careful not to use techniques like piano wire because it will gouge / mar the rubber. Removal can be extremely tricky especially when the sealant is old and hard.
It was successfully done with my S14 painting 9 years ago. There were issues with paint and color, but weatherstrips job was flawless.

Quote:
You are correct, mass market manufacturers has been mostly discontinued spares for our cars, but I have a strong belief that technology is advancing and it's quite close to constructing, modelling and production of parts for cars in small batches, literally in garages. I know, 3d printing is full of hype and speculations, nevertheless a couple of examples:

Guy made these tail lights for Mercedes 300SL restoration by himself. He said that raw materials and labor was 8-10% of Ebay price

Homemade S13 turn blinker glass( quite rare, at least in Europe)

Also, I know that people successfully make fiberglass stock body panels, due to lack of metal ones in good condition.
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 11:00 AM   #2977
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
I took my windows out of the s14 and I'm at odds with how I feel about it.

I did see that there was some surface rust building under the seal (which failed but wasn't visible). There is a used set which I have that is going in to replace that.
Had I not taken it out, I would have had it painted and yeah maybe my paint job would have eventually lifted at the hard edges but it wouldn't be parked in the garage as it still is.

As far as parts sourcing goes, yeah the old school manufacturers aren't suddenly tooling up for our cars. I think it's going to be better for us though since I'm seeing some smaller shops stepping into it. I just saw some Chinese company start selling the S14 weatherstripping for the doors now. So far people seem to like it. I don't have the link for it.

kinda confused what happened here, did the glass or weather seal break or become unsuable when removed and now the car isnt driven ?
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:04 PM   #2978
Txereas

Txereas is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been searching for this one for quite a while. Anyone got an idea?
Txereas is offline   Reply With Quote