Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-07-2023, 10:34 AM   #1
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
New Artec VBand Low Mount Cast Manifold

I am sure some of you guys seen artec stuff on supra, but they finally are doing the SR20 low mount cast! They are doing vbands too! I asked them about 2 years ago when the released the high mount and they said they were working on it.... pretty excited about this plug and play solution for vband. Probably coat it black and really make it stealthy.....

https://artecperformance.com/collections/nissan/SR20

Vband low mount

T25 low mount
Old 02-07-2023, 10:40 AM   #2
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Also would be cool to add one of these. Turbo Smart Straight Gates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6mvJbGUjQ
Old 02-07-2023, 02:21 PM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
i'm very keen on their manifolds, and will prob snag a top mount when its time for a new turbskee.

v-band + low mount is a very appealing option tho, esp since its designed around a G-series. I would need G25-550 or possibly G30.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:59 PM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've seen a few in person, and they're very neat.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:03 PM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
i'm very keen on their manifolds, and will prob snag a top mount when its time for a new turbskee.

v-band + low mount is a very appealing option tho, esp since its designed around a G-series. I would need G25-550 or possibly G30.
Yeah low mount G25 with an upgrade Turbosmart IWG.... should be fine....

Would be an awesome package and with Vband.... can take it off easy for service.....

Same will go this route when I go with new turbo
Old 02-07-2023, 09:02 PM   #6
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Damn that's gorgeous. I wonder if they're working on a KA version too?
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:15 AM   #7
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
Damn that's gorgeous. I wonder if they're working on a KA version too?
I'd be curious how the fitment of the existing KA manifold would fit flipped upside down, as the flange is reversible.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:52 AM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
They are nice manifolds, but the price is a bit steep for a cast unit. Maybe I’ve been out of the game for a bit, but can’t you get a tubular manifold for a couple hundred cheaper than this?

I’m not sure I see the benefits of this over say a 6boost or Sinco factory location replacement.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:32 AM   #9
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I'd be curious how the fitment of the existing KA manifold would fit flipped upside down, as the flange is reversible.
It looks like it might work since they put the v-band flange in line with cyl #2 in top mount config, so it would be, at least front to back, in the right place. The flange looks like it would be closer to and angled towards the block though? Could use a reverse rotation turbo.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:50 AM   #10
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
They are nice manifolds, but the price is a bit steep for a cast unit. Maybe I?ve been out of the game for a bit, but can?t you get a tubular manifold for a couple hundred cheaper than this?

I?m not sure I see the benefits of this over say a 6boost or Sinco factory location replacement.
Just checked 6boost, they are like 850 english pounds , which is close to 1100 USD. Also they are welded.... So the price is about the same, but Adam LZ carry's Artec so we can have it stocked stateside with cheaper shipping.

Cast I think should resist cracking better, hold more heat for the turbo, and reduce heat under the engine bay... I assume....

I think that would be the additional benefit..... I think ISR manifolds are $600 but not sure how good they are.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:33 PM   #11
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Just checked 6boost, they are like 850 english pounds , which is close to 1100 USD. Also they are welded.... So the price is about the same, but Adam LZ carry's Artec so we can have it stocked stateside with cheaper shipping.

Cast I think should resist cracking better, hold more heat for the turbo, and reduce heat under the engine bay... I assume....

I think that would be the additional benefit..... I think ISR manifolds are $600 but not sure how good they are.
The 6boost is a stock location replacement though, where the Artec is not, which would minimize fabrication.

The cast piece may retain more heat, but with separated runners, that is probably marginal. Material used in construction also plays a role in that.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:49 PM   #12
slider2828
Post Whore!

Is it not stock location the artec? The low mounts are?
Old 02-08-2023, 02:09 PM   #13
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Nope.

Quote:
This is NOT a direct replacement of the stock low mount design. We made this design to remove some of the issues that come with the factory design such as poor intake design and allowances, poor down pipe design and space.

Our design allows for 3" and 4" intakes as well as easy to fabricate 3" and 3.5" down pipes.
It might be close but they're expecting you to fab your own piping and not use any of the stock location stuff.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:36 PM   #14
slider2828
Post Whore!

Yeah agreed, I mean going a turbo made in the last 5 years, probably going vband everything and don't need to mess with bolts on the turbo, which already be a win..... but its an option....
Old 02-08-2023, 03:04 PM   #15
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
Nope. It might be close but they're expecting you to fab your own piping and not use any of the stock location stuff.
Quote:
Yeah agreed, I mean going a turbo made in the last 5 years, probably going vband everything and don't need to mess with bolts on the turbo, which already be a win..... but its an option....
I?d be concerned with how far away from the head the turbo flange is positioned. Without the V-band (why else would you buy this manifold) you may run into steering shaft encroachment issues.

I would like to assume Artec did their due diligence here, but I do not recall seeing it specifically fitting LHD cars?
Old 02-08-2023, 04:07 PM   #16
A DOG 406
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
A DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If only they made an external wastegate version!!!!!
SR, Bottom Mount, Cast, T25 and external is almost impossible to find!
Old 02-08-2023, 05:21 PM   #17
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
but the price is a bit steep for a cast unit.
We should mention these are investment cast (which is different than sand casting) and stainless steel. Not your average cast turbo manifold.

Also, with the way the investment casting works, it allows a larger diameter of piping / tubing configuration that fabricators / welders will work with. Thats the appeal / price tag.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:22 PM   #18
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
We should mention these are investment cast (which is different than sand casting) and stainless steel. Not your average cast turbo manifold.

Also, with the way the investment casting works, it allows a larger diameter of piping / tubing configuration that fabricators / welders will work with. Thats the appeal / price tag.
While I agree it is a better method, at the end of the day, it?s still cast?
Old 02-09-2023, 05:57 AM   #19
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
it's still cast?
While I get this train of thought, as a lot of manifolds are poor quality castings with very little quality /performance in mind: I'll challenge you to think a little bit more on the subject.

Your block, the heart of your car, is cast from the factory. (Yes I know aftermarkets have billet offerings). The bulk of your turbo is cast as well. But nobody bats an eye at this?

Castings are good enough for aerospace components, including, but not limited to gearboxes.

If we wanted to be nerds about it, we could take a name brand welded manifold and an artec manifold, and have them x-rayed and see what it looks like at the stress points (runners, and under the turbo flange) and compare.

I'm not saying that i'm certified in RT, i'm just saying, I can make this happen if I get two manifolds sent to me and people want to pay the shipping both ways.

Its not always a question of the manufacturing process or the material make up, sometimes we forget that X company said "this is good enough to put our name on and sell"

I'll be flat out, I worked for 7 years at an aluminum and magnesium foundry. Do I have a welded manifold? Yes I do (artec didn't have a KA manifold at the time) But i'll also tell you that my Xcessive intake manifold has shrink inside the plenum by where the cylinder 4 runner meets. Shrink is good enough for their Name / Product (that is no longer made)
Old 02-09-2023, 08:29 AM   #20
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It would look good cerakoted yellow like a bunch of bananas
Old 02-09-2023, 12:21 PM   #21
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
While I get this train of thought, as a lot of manifolds are poor quality castings with very little quality /performance in mind: I'll challenge you to think a little bit more on the subject.

Your block, the heart of your car, is cast from the factory. (Yes I know aftermarkets have billet offerings). The bulk of your turbo is cast as well. But nobody bats an eye at this?

Castings are good enough for aerospace components, including, but not limited to gearboxes.

If we wanted to be nerds about it, we could take a name brand welded manifold and an artec manifold, and have them x-rayed and see what it looks like at the stress points (runners, and under the turbo flange) and compare.

I'm not saying that i'm certified in RT, i'm just saying, I can make this happen if I get two manifolds sent to me and people want to pay the shipping both ways.

Its not always a question of the manufacturing process or the material make up, sometimes we forget that X company said "this is good enough to put our name on and sell"

I'll be flat out, I worked for 7 years at an aluminum and magnesium foundry. Do I have a welded manifold? Yes I do (artec didn't have a KA manifold at the time) But i'll also tell you that my Xcessive intake manifold has shrink inside the plenum by where the cylinder 4 runner meets. Shrink is good enough for their Name / Product (that is no longer made)
This is a fair point. My point was, if I?m buying a manifold, one that throws heat retention to the wind (both tubular and this cast manifold do) i?d choose the tubular unit simply because it is easier to repair, should a manifold crack. Let me be clear, I do not believe this manifold will crack or a quality manifold such as, but not limited too, Full-Race, 6boost, Sinco, Doc-Race, etc, would either.

With that said, what foundry do you work at?
Old 02-09-2023, 02:06 PM   #22
slider2828
Post Whore!

Just a newbie question, I assume if the cast is of good quality, would wall thickness of the base + density of the cast make it more resistant to cracking than a tubular steel manifold when going through 1000s of heat cycles?

I would assume steel like most metal loses integrity over time when heat cycled at the temperatures that an exhaust manifold reaches?
Old 02-09-2023, 04:26 PM   #23
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Just a newbie question, I assume if the cast is of good quality, would wall thickness of the base + density of the cast make it more resistant to cracking than a tubular steel manifold when going through 1000s of heat cycles?

I would assume steel like most metal loses integrity over time when heat cycled at the temperatures that an exhaust manifold reaches?
I would think that is strictly based on the stresses the manifold sees. Hanging a 15-20lb turbo off the side, plus the movement of the downpipe may play a larger role than one thinks in whether or not it fails. It would behoove the owner to support the turbo with a drain support system and add the necessary flex section to the exhaust piping.

Ultimately, anything can crack given enough stresses and heat cycles.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:12 PM   #24
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
With that said, what foundry do you work at?
My previous employer was Yankee Casting in Enfield, CT.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:27 PM   #25
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
My previous employer was Yankee Casting in Enfield, CT.
What are you doing now? I?ll be in Fishkill, NY in a week or so. I frequently Worcester, MA as well.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:29 AM   #26
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
What are you doing now? I?ll be in Fishkill, NY in a week or so. I frequently Worcester, MA as well.
I'm now the Operations Manager at an aftermarket car part retail company.
Fishkill is about an hour and 45 away, Worcester is about an hour, you're likely driving past my area on 91. Interesting!
Old 02-10-2023, 09:56 AM   #27
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
I'm now the Operations Manager at an aftermarket car part retail company.
Fishkill is about an hour and 45 away, Worcester is about an hour, you're likely driving past my area on 91. Interesting!
That must mean you?re around Springfield. I stay in that area frequently.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:29 AM   #28
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
That must mean you?re around Springfield. I stay in that area frequently.
Very unfortunate for you...haha. I assume you stay at most of the areas by the hall of fame, MGM, etc.

Yeah, thats about 20 minutes from me. Thats a lot of driving for you...and a shitty drive too.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:57 AM   #29
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Very unfortunate for you...haha. I assume you stay at most of the areas by the hall of fame, MGM, etc.

Yeah, thats about 20 minutes from me. Thats a lot of driving for you...and a shitty drive too.
Yep, stay at the Hilton adjacent to the HoF or Hampton Inn on the opposite side of 91.

I?m good with the drive. It doesn?t bother me at all. I?m usually in the area quarterly visiting with multiple customers, so it makes sense to drive. Occasionally, if I have a random trip I?ll fly in and rent a car.