Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
[HK]240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
[HK]240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to [HK]240sx
How much $ to legalize JDM S13?

I was curious, I wanted to buy an S13 Silvia (JDM RHD), I wasn't sure how much it would cost to get it legalized in the states though. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much it'd be to make it legal on the streets?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
ramblux
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
ramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Talk to your local department of motor vehicles. It varies, and often can't be done.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...ght=legalizing

ramblux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
lol. depends which state. and even then, they have to crash test, bar-aprove it, blah blah blah. search the government site
Old 02-05-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
What is your neccesity for having a RHD vehicle? Planning to deliver mail? Never planning to pass anyone on the left? Want to be the coolest JDM fan-boy in your car club?

Just wondering, as I see no practical reasoning for purchasing a RHD S13.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
ramblux
Zilvia Addict

ramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
What is your neccesity for having a RHD vehicle? Planning to deliver mail? Never planning to pass anyone on the left? Want to be the coolest JDM fan-boy in your car club?

I think he's planning the coolest April Fool's joke ever -- can you imagine the look on people's faces when they think his dog is driving?
ramblux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
TheTimanator
Post Whore!

TheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond repute
I remember reading somewhere that Canada has a law in place that allows you to legalize JDM cars after 15 years meaning that older S13's and R32's would now be legal in Canada.

If this is true, then it still doesn't help you! ha
Old 02-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
ChukiRPS13

ChukiRPS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimanator
I remember reading somewhere that Canada has a law in place that allows you to legalize JDM cars after 15 years meaning that older S13's and R32's would now be legal in Canada.

If this is true, then it still doesn't help you! ha
This is true... and there's a shitload of s13s, r32s, Z32s, Cefiros, Cosmos, old school skylines, and a bunch of funky looking JDM stuff driving around.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
future240owner

future240owner is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to future240owner Send a message via MSN to future240owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukiRPS13
This is true... and there's a shitload of s13s, r32s, Z32s, Cefiros, Cosmos, old school skylines, and a bunch of funky looking JDM stuff driving around.
Yup and they can be had for dirt cheap, quite a few with mods already!

Here's some good sites to look at if your in the market and also if its legal where you live...

www.jdmconnection.ca
www.terra2imports.ca
www.importconcern.ca
www.j-specimports.ca/
future240owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
ryangreg
Zilvia Member

ryangreg can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy

Because he feels like it, hes just putting a legitimate quesiton out there. What more of a reason would one need to purchase something that has caught his eye.

I have a friend joining the marines....what a wet quim he is. I tried to tell him, that real men join the navy....not to waste his time with the pussy marines.

Although you yourself do seem like one raw chap....perhaps when he returns 4years from know, I will be eating my words!
ryangreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangreg
Because he feels like it, hes just putting a legitimate quesiton out there. What more of a reason would one need to purchase something that has caught his eye.

I have a friend joining the marines....what a wet quim he is. I tried to tell him, that real men join the navy....not to waste his time with the pussy marines.

Although you yourself do seem like one raw chap....perhaps when he returns 4years from know, I will be eating my words!
You are right, he posted a question. I posted a question in response to his, in the hopes that if he didn't have a legitimate reason, he might come to his senses. If he does have a legitimate, then I'd like to hear it. Thus I asked the question. You however added nothing useful to this Thread. In other words, STFU. If you'd like to discuss my profession with me, tough. I really don't give a damn about your personal outloook on the U.S.Military.

Back on topic.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #11
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:

Worst British Accent Evar1!!
Old 02-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #12
TheTimanator
Post Whore!

TheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukiRPS13
sweet! and thanks for the links future240owner

too bad they're still not legal in the US. oh well.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
kognition
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (6)
kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The truth is, if you really want a real Silvia, you need to keep it on the track. Jumping thru all of the ridiculous hoops to "try" and legallize it is such a waste of valuable time. If you are in the business of making parts for these cars, then it is
a great business card to have. They really are not safe to drive on US streets on many levels. IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HK]240sx
I was curious, I wanted to buy an S13 Silvia (JDM RHD), I wasn't sure how much it would cost to get it legalized in the states though. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much it'd be to make it legal on the streets?
kognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #14
SilviaNinja240
Zilvia FREAK!

SilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enoughSilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enoughSilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enough
Do you think its possible to ship the car to canada, legalize it there (aka register it), then drive it across the boarder??
Old 02-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #15
kognition
Premium Member

kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
I do not know canadian law. But i did do some fabrication work for a celebrity client in B.H. who owns a Ferarri F1 and it had Ontario plates on it. This particular F1 would be called gray market here, hence not able to be registered in the states. So it appears that Canada is more flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaNinja240
Do you think its possible to ship the car to canada, legalize it there (aka register it), then drive it across the boarder??
Old 02-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #16
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Quote:

or 4 years from now?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #17
ryangreg
Zilvia Member

ryangreg can only hope to improve
i have such a terrible habbit of mixing those two up!

thank you for pointing that out.
ryangreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #18
[HK]240sx
Leaky Injector

[HK]240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to [HK]240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblux
I think he's planning the coolest April Fool's joke ever -- can you imagine the look on people's faces when they think his dog is driving?
LMAO, that was actually freakeshly funny.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #19
kazuo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaNinja240
Luka, I was thinking the same thing.

I would think you'd need some sort of permanent address there to register it, and you'd (presumably) have to be a Canadian citizen.

Those are assumptions, of course... any America Junior residents want to let us know what the deal is exactly?
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #20
andrewmp6
Zilvia Junkie

andrewmp6 can only hope to improve
i dont understand the whole rhd is cool bs go drive a old mail truck and tell me you love it after that and why spend money importing a car we already have
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #21
RB26Sileighty
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
RB26Sileighty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RB26Sileighty
i imported my first skyline threw www.batfa.com...just about the hole car stayed stock with the exception of the exhaust and a few minor peaces....mostly paper work...hell all paper work...i would say for an s13 silvia you could get away with just having to do a lot of paper work...theres no one year law. Some believe that you can only have the car for a year in the states before it will get shipped back...Not true just don't get caught driving it on street...
Old 02-06-2006, 01:54 AM   #22
jame5x
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
jame5x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Ive seen a RHD del sol and crx driving around town..whats so special about them anyways
jame5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:57 AM   #23
andrewmp6
Zilvia Junkie

andrewmp6 can only hope to improve
jame5x all the kiddies think anything jdm or rhd is the best its just a waste of money
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:28 AM   #24
TheTimanator
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame5x
Ive seen a RHD del sol and crx driving around town..whats so special about them anyways
I could care less about RHD drive or not...I'd just really love to have a Gti-R.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #25
killjoy
Zilvia Member

killjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to killjoy
Exactly. If I could get a fricken GTR with a rb26 and convert it to lefthand drive i would. Its not about the gaydm rhd, its about owning one of the best cars ever made.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #26
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
Hah in Canada as long as the car is 15 years or older all you need is a Federal and Provincial Safety inspection. Once it passes that you can register it.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #27
SilviaNinja240
Zilvia FREAK!

SilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enoughSilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enoughSilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enough
grrr... there has to be a way!! there just has to! *shakes fist*
Old 02-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #28
Omarius Maximus
Zilvia Junkie

Omarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of lightOmarius Maximus is a glorious beacon of light
You can import right hand drive MR2 turbos, NSXs, RX-7s etc and legalize them because they have the same chassis and engine already established in the U.S. With the silvia, in order for you to legalize it, you'd have to go to japan and search for a super special onevia with the KA24 option(I believe the japanese refer to it as the Nismo 155R). < this is the only way you'll get a JDM RHD silvia over to the states legally.
Omarius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #29
90RS13
Zilvia Junkie

90RS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
even if they share the same excact chassis, the manufacturer (nissan,toyata,etc) still has to make a formal statement saying that the chassis will react the same in a crash as it's us counterpart. Which no JDM auto maker has ever done so far. Without the manufactuer's statement you have to crash multiple cars, and spend a great deal of money to make it possible for anyone to legalize them. Which is what was done with the 2-door 32-34 skylines.

Just keep in mind, just because you see people driving around true jdm cars, doesn't mean that they're legal. And with a front clip it's pretty easy to make an unsafe rhd jdm wanna be, car, so you can tell people it's jdm tyte.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #30
kognition
Premium Member

Track your JDM car. Less stress!