Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
DRFTSAINT

Trader Rating: (0)
DRFTSAINT is on the path to ruinDRFTSAINT is on the path to ruinDRFTSAINT is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1990 240sx problem

I have used the search function, and was unable to find an answer...

I have searched and cannot find the source of my problem...
I have an SR20DET swap in my HB 5spd, it ran amazing for almost 5 months now with no problems whatsoever... Then one night I start the car with no problems, turned my headlights on no problems, I started to drive away from my house and after about 500ft my headlights dimmed to nothing, none of my dash lights worked (no battery light, oil light, etc), and my radio shut off... My motor stayed running just fine, my windows, wipers, my turbo timer was still on, and seat belts all still worked, oh and my electric fan still worked... So I turned my car off checked the battery cables and as many wires as I could with my phone as a flashlight, and found nothing... So I got back in the car and tried to start it, when turned to the on position my dash indicator lights came on, but when I turned the key over I got nothing and my indicators went out comlpetely...

Things I've tried so far -
-New battery
-checked all fuses and bought new relay thats in the fender next to the
battery
-I tried bypassing the ASCD or clutch safety switch on the pedal
assembly
-I went back through the next day and checked all my wiring harness,
no cuts found
-I found my homeade harness for my fogs had grounded out against the firewall, but it had its own fuse and source to battery

Things that are irregular -
-I can hear my fuel pump kick on, but is very slow like it has minimal
power
-Headlights are extremely dim even with new battery

Things that I have thought could be wrong, but would like other opinions before I buy them, 1 Ignition switch 2 ECU dead (but engine light does light up when turned to the on position on the dash, which I thought had direct corelation to the ECU), those are my ideas, any help, advice, or opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated...
If you need to know any of the modifications to my car other than that it has an SR20DET swap let me know...
Thank you
DRFTSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
that really really sounds like an alternator to me. I just replaced the on on my 89 ka. easy fix, not to easy price. Have napa or o'reillys check it for you. if anything it'll help narrow the problem down.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
DRFTSAINT

DRFTSAINT is on the path to ruinDRFTSAINT is on the path to ruinDRFTSAINT is on the path to ruin
went up to oreillys and had it checked, they said it was fine... and I had them check my starter, and it worked just fine as well... I'm stumped
Old 03-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
is your ground for the battery good? Check all the basics. Is suprising how something seemingly so bad can end up being a simple problem.

Now, something you may want not want to rule out, but hopefully it wont come to this.

Shorted wiring. My mechanical knowledge when it comes to wiring is limited. I was taught on old chevys and fords. But im learning, and a simple short can cause one helluva problem man.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:32 AM   #5
sylsevilsis
Leaky Injector

sylsevilsis is making a name for him/her selfsylsevilsis is making a name for him/her self
Had a similar problem, it turned out to be a ground wire to the alternator.
sylsevilsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
DRFTSAINT

Thanks for the advice guys, I will go over all my wiring for a 5th time now, hopefully its something as simple as a bad ground to my alternator...
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
wvustud2003
Leaky Injector

wvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to wvustud2003
check your fuzes under and to the left of of your steering column. i had an issues where all the lights except my headlights stopped workign and it was a 2 dollar fuse.
wvustud2003 is offline   Reply With Quote