Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-27-2005, 09:52 PM   #121
Kinematics
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Kinematics is making a name for him/her selfKinematics is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would be interested in a CF front air splitter for Pignoses with OE lips. Perhaps there is way to make this compatable for Pignoses without OE lips as well?

Just a thought. I'm sure everyone here would like an air splitter for their specific generation 240 front bumper.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2005, 10:19 PM   #122
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
HAHA that pic looks too sexual.

As for cf pieces... The s14 rain guards in cf would be hot- $200

Where can I find this g-corp?
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:17 PM   #123
kognition
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (6)
kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yea alot of people do that. I did that for Great Company's S13 last Dec. They just wanted a quick & dirty. But it gets the job done. The plug we are doing for that is exactly a plug. It has an alluminum honeycomb core like our S14 panel. So it will not flex or lose strength once you start cutting into it to fit your meters. Just a heck of alot more reliable than sheet plastic or bondo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik
can you make something like this =]

mine uses too much bondo and weighs like 12lbs haha, then again, i had no idea what i was doing
kognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:34 AM   #124
SochBAT
Post Whore!

SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
CF socks would be AMAZING. But really, get on those S13 cupholders =]
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #125
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainevent212
oh god...you filled the entire hole in w/ bondo didnt you...
no, i used the stock radio trim, cut out what i didnt need, and fiberglassed in the LCD panel, then i did a layer of bondo over the fiberglass after sanding, it doesnt really weight 12lbs i was over exaggerating, the most bondo is int he lower porition where the ashtray and stuff was.

It started as this:

This was pre-sanding/paint:

id rather have a solid piece of fiberglass or carbon fiber though
Old 09-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #126
tiggs
Leaky Injector

tiggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Seriously, radio trim piece for the s13. I have a similar setup to what statik has but in my 93 hatch
http://www.zilvia.net/f/attachment.p...achmentid=9011

But I want to replace the whole piece with cf. If it can be made for me within the next 30 days I'll pay threw the nose for it. I'm rebuilding my carpc setup and will have it all ready to install in the next 30days so I'm either gonna find something like this, or I'm gonna haveta just find a crappy replacement piece or try and fab something up myself... But I'm not a fab guy so... help me out! If I knew how to make a cf mold I'd be on it in a heart beat but I'm no fabricator

edit: Heck, to make it easier just keep it flat across where the radio hole is I'll cut it out myself... but do make the holes for the climate controls and shifter, those would be more tricky.. it'd be ideal for me to cutout my own hole for the mounting of the lcd screen anyway. I'll send you a console trim piece if you want so you have something to work with.
tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:35 AM   #127
kognition
Premium Member

kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
No we are just making a DIN plug for the S13. And overlays are usually a bad idea particulary overlaying cf on plastic.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #128
tiggs
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognition
No we are just making a DIN plug for the S13. And overlays are usually a bad idea particulary overlaying cf on plastic.
crap

crap crap crap

guess it's time I learn how to use fiberglass

Man I tell ya, I hear a lot of requests for a cf complete radio/shifter/climate control trim like I want. I've seen a number in this thread alone.. I bet it'd be a great "bread and butter" earning piece... (I know I'd be willing to drop $200 on it... possibly more) just a though.. ah well, guess Imma haveta look somewhere else

oh yeah, and i didn't mean overlay.. if i was gonna go for an overlay type thing i'd just get the vinyl look alike :ghey:
Old 09-28-2005, 12:33 PM   #129
kognition
Premium Member

I know people want it. I will think about it seriously. After all... thats what this thread is all about. And i am producing those meter panels based on requests from this thread. I am into my second straight day making a mold right now. It is
extremely time consuming. Not to mention expensive.
But i can tell you that a part like that will have a retail of $300. It is a very detailed part.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:38 PM   #130
tiggs
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I know people want it. I will think about it seriously. After all... thats what this thread is all about. And i am producing those meter panels based on requests from this thread. I am into my second straight day making a mold right now. It is
extremely time consuming. Not to mention expensive.
But i can tell you that a part like that will have a retail of $300. It is a very detailed part.
$300 is a price that I'd seriously consider in the long run.. like 6 months from now... when I'm working on my project car. I'd spend that much on a car I'd be building as a project.. Maybe not for my current 240 cuz, well, I'm not that careful with it and wouldn't wanna ruin a $300 piece ya know? But who knows, sometimes I get a little extra loose with my money. I wish I lived around you to be a guinea pig, haha.

Keep up the good work, your cf pieces look awesome. I understand the time consuming part.. hence why I'm not doing it myself (I'm so freakin' impatient!) Is all that's available for the arm rest cover the one for the s14 that raretrick sells or is there an s13 one? I've seen one in an s13 before but I don't know if it was your piece or not.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:25 PM   #131
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
im not sure if any1 has posted this, cause i didnt look through all of the pages, but a CF sunroof replacement, and an OEM Zenki 1989 front lip lol... I'd pay about 200 for the lip, and iono bout the sin roof, depends how light it is lol.
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:52 PM   #132
kognition
Premium Member

Thank you,
We do not make an armrest cover for the S13 at the moment. But we will have it in the next month. Focused on the hoods and seats right now.
//////////

Keep up the good work, your cf pieces look awesome. I understand the time consuming part.. hence why I'm not doing it myself (I'm so freakin' impatient!) Is all that's available for the arm rest cover the one for the s14 that raretrick sells or is there an s13 one? I've seen one in an s13 before but I don't know if it was your piece or not.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-28-2005, 10:00 PM   #133
SochBAT
Post Whore!

SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
i REALLY want a cupholder!! I busted my iced tea in my car 2day. Sat there, lookin at it, thinking "it'd b awesome to have a cupholder right about now..."
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:04 PM   #134
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Rock on Kognition!
mmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:16 PM   #135
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
so what's the possibility of an S14 sunroof delete? any time soon? because i wanna get rid of mine in the very near future

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:38 AM   #136
kognition
Premium Member

Alot of sunroof delete panel requests here. Since we are prepping our car for SRX unlimited, we are having to get rid of the sunroof. My solution is a simple composite panel sandwiched with the alluminum honeycomb. Its 1/4 thick. Interesting thing about this is that if i use just fiberglass to bond the honeycomb, it still lets the light in thru the honeycomb like an opaque window.
I am curious to see how much weight we take off with that sunroof and mechanicals of it. I will see what i can do.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:14 PM   #137
anthony240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
anthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anthony240
thank you very much! i will be one of your first customers for this
Old 09-29-2005, 09:32 PM   #138
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggs
Man I tell ya, I hear a lot of requests for a cf complete radio/shifter/climate control trim like I want. I've seen a number in this thread alone.. I bet it'd be a great "bread and butter" earning piece... (I know I'd be willing to drop $200 on it... possibly more) just a though..
Ok just so everyone can read this again... In order to make a replacement part for the Climate control area... you need to make Funtional vents and Buttons... w/o the center vents your car will take forever to get up to temp and you would freeze or catch fire to your arms. j/k
Buttons can be relocated, yes, enjoy that task on your own if you wish.
The stock vents are insainly hard to remove w/o breaking... much less making a Carbon mold/ part that allows you to re-insert them.

Shifter & Radio Trim are very simple because those sections have no major funtional parts to relocate or re-fabricate.

Quote:
I will do my best to explain, i know there is a hell of alot of misinformation about composites. But it did not evolve for the sake of the import industry. I am actually one of the guys that wants to produce the best quality parts. And we are prepping our Silvia for the 2006 NASA SRX Class season to back our performance parts up. Of course if we just made super light weight performance
parts from CF we wouldn't be in business because most people can't afford a $2,500 set of cf doors. There is the bottom line to consider. I want to make those serious cf performance parts you talk about, but i have to market them
to Japan and the UK because the dollar is so damn weak these days. Nobody here in the states could afford them. Carbon fiber mirror covers, console covers etc. fill a market need. It is logical for me to make from a business pov. 99% of the guys out there don't race. Which leaves the 1% asking for performance carbon parts they could not afford. Now i will say, that those useless parts you mentioned actually brought in enough money for us to start producing the alluminum honeycomb core hoods. If these came from Japan, you could never afford them. You would pay about $2,000 for one. The Yen
works against you guys and thats why you are always fucking broke! I am one of a handful of companies here in the states working to compete against
Japanese carbon. Forget China, were not even talking about that crap. I am trying to get my brand name into Japan if you can imagine how tough that is.
But i am doing it. You know i have Great Company asking us to make intake ducts for them right now for their line in Japan? Thats what i'm talking about.
This is why I have and will continue to fully support Kognition Design (Mike).
This is exactly what the US Industry needs.. a good bitch slap lesson on quality.
alluminum honeycomb core hoods ?? for real... no-one else in the industry has the balls to make a part like this?? Ferrari, Aston Martin, Pagani,... those guys!! And your able to get that quality part for your 89 240sx... for a fraction of what a lesser high quality hood from Japan would cost. Yes... I just said that! Thats how much faith I have in Mike's products.

Peace
Drew
Old 09-29-2005, 09:40 PM   #139
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
yeah this aluminum honeycomb is the shit from what i understand...

where can one aquire this aluminum honeycomb? i wanna try making something myself :-p

then when i fail i can come to you for a properly made piece

(i'm talking about using fiberglass of course..carbon fiber is russian to me)

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 AM   #140
tiggs
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist
Ok just so everyone can read this again... In order to make a replacement part for the Climate control area... you need to make Funtional vents and Buttons... w/o the center vents your car will take forever to get up to temp and you would freeze or catch fire to your arms. j/k
Buttons can be relocated, yes, enjoy that task on your own if you wish.
The stock vents are insainly hard to remove w/o breaking... much less making a Carbon mold/ part that allows you to re-insert them.

Shifter & Radio Trim are very simple because those sections have no major funtional parts to relocate or re-fabricate.
Just to clear my name from this cuz I feel like this was directed at me.. You did quote me and all.. Saying I haven't read the thread or that I don't understand the complexity of what I was asking....
Here is the piece I have been asking about (granted this is from an auto but you should be able to get a VERY GOOD IDEA of what I'm talking about)

The trim piece on an s13 has 3 holes. 1 for the shifter, 1 for the radio, 1 for the climate control. No holes for buttons or anything of the such. No need to remove any vents. That's what I'm asking for. I'd use my stock shifter/shift boot. Either a radio and the pocket or my lcd screen, and the stock climate controls. I'm not asking to replace the climate controls... that's why I said the "trim"

I hope it is now understood what I was asking for.. And that I don't look like I'm some newbie that doesn't respect the time and effort it takes to do said cf work and that I'm some newbie asking for the near impossible to be created
Old 09-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #141
bing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
bing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
more info on these honey comb hoods please...

links? pics?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #142
chuy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
chuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes on the radio trim and sunroof plug.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:24 PM   #143
kognition
Premium Member

I wish it were that simple to just start working with honeycomb. However, it is
more of a black art than anything. Back in the day when i was taking my A&P (airframe & powerplant) at Northrop, there were no official courses on the subject. There are books available, none of which i have ever read. I have always preferred to explore the web, corporate and university website by googling. I am sure that you can find some small pieces available on ebay.
We will not be showing or distributing pics of the hoods until our show at D1 in December. This has more to do with business and market timing.

I just got our S13 console today, i dont really see any advantage to replicating the entire part out of CF given that it will not be any lighter than the plastic part. An overlay would be the smartest way. But we are making a
plug for it.
///////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainevent212
yeah this aluminum honeycomb is the shit from what i understand...

where can one aquire this aluminum honeycomb? i wanna try making something myself :-p

then when i fail i can come to you for a properly made piece

(i'm talking about using fiberglass of course..carbon fiber is russian to me)
Old 09-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #144
tiggs
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I just got our S13 console today, i dont really see any advantage to replicating the entire part out of CF given that it will not be any lighter than the plastic part. An overlay would be the smartest way. But we are making a
plug for it.
When you say overlay, do you mean that fake vinyl stuff you get off ebay... or actual cf overlay?

If you're talking the real stuff, then please, inform me what I need to do...

I'm not looking for a weight saving... no more than a mirror cover.. or arm rest cover would entail.. do you see where I'm going with that? Yeah, it's more of a form over function... actually that's exactly what it is and that's what I want lol

But all the same. It's up to you on what you wanna spend your time on. I don't wanna keep saying "I want this or this" and clutter up your time when I know you have more important things to do.

So when it comes time you need something else to make some $$ so you can work on a much larger project, bring out the CF consol trim piece and I'll probably buy one..

BTW, are you still estimating it'd be $300 now that you've seen the console? I'm just curious.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:11 PM   #145
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
tiggs - Not specifically directed to you... other people have mentioned it. My example was more towards the S14's AC control area.

Mike - Overlay? If your going to the extent of a large one piece Overlay then you may as well do the full part the same as the S14 Radio Panel... That way the customer still has options (gauges or what not)... I personally think that would be an awsome part to work on. Let me know...

Peace
Drew
Old 09-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #146
tiggs
Leaky Injector

What I was thinking with the console, to make it a little more functional per se, keep the holes for the shifter and climate controls, just go flat over the radio hole. The you get that cool blank space for gauges or in my case my LCD screen.. all to cut out ourselves how we want.
Basically the console, w/the plug already there
I'd totally be up for that.
I think that's kinda what MadScientist was saying? I could be wrong which I'm known to be wrong from time to time.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #147
kognition
Premium Member

Well to make a full CF part, we would have to add fasteners so that it would mount up the same as stock. And an overlay would consist of 3 layers of CF, so it would be a quality part. You would apply some silicone adhesive to your console piece and just mount the CF overlay. Overlays have become synonymous with cheapo ebay fake carbon. Its become a cheap disgusting industry for carbon parts.
So, the full replicated part would be too expensive. Have you looked underneath that part btw? All those mounting points need to be reproduced,
and there is just no cheap way to do it.
So i think an overlay would be around a $200 part retail.

But the plan has been to make blank plugs for the moment.
If we do the overlay, it will be in December because we are backed up.
//////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggs
What I was thinking with the console, to make it a little more functional per se, keep the holes for the shifter and climate controls, just go flat over the radio hole. The you get that cool blank space for gauges or in my case my LCD screen.. all to cut out ourselves how we want.
Basically the console, w/the plug already there
I'd totally be up for that.
I think that's kinda what MadScientist was saying? I could be wrong which I'm known to be wrong from time to time.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:53 PM   #148
anthony240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
anthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anthony240
how soon will that sunroof panel be done?
I kinda need it soon
like in 2 weeks
haha
or before the rain season at least
please?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:14 PM   #149
tailspin

tailspin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tailspin
I hate my shitty sun visors... with the melted warning on them..

Id like it to be replaced with carbon fiber/ carbon kevlar...

Oh yeah and the whole ceiling piece would be cool too.. you know the only interior thats gray besides the shitty sun visors.
tailspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:53 PM   #150
tailspin

tailspin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tailspin
i was wondering if you can get this in carbon fiber... but for the left hand side

http://www.zilvia.net/f/attachment.p...tid=9632&stc=1

oh and the radiator shroud in carbon kevlar/ fiber

BTW can you make all the things for the s14 please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gauge-thing.jpg (31.3 KB, 160 views)
tailspin is offline   Reply With Quote