Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Team Aero-K
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Team Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drift Alignment Specs, show me!!!!

Hey guys, been playing around with the alignment specs as far as how i want the car to react like, I just thought....maybe i should ask my fellow zilvians to see what the drivers are running front and rear.

My current alignment spec is;

Front Caster: Maxed out
Front Toe: -.05
Front Camber: -2.0

Rear Caster: Oem
Rear Toe: +.05
Rear Camber: -2.0

Give me some advice guys ....i really want an agressive spec alignment for the car to carry through easily in a turn with no fight.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Creizai
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Creizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My Setup is

Front Caster: 8.0
Front Toe: 0
Front Camber: -3.0

Rear Caster: Oem (Will take off 12mm like dousan was saying to do on ziptied)
Rear Toe: 0
Rear Camber: -3.0

I wanna keep everything the same and maybe go -3.5 in front with -1.5-2.0 in the rear but megan ruca's suck. Thats just my personal setup I prefer I'm not telling you how to setup your car just what I like. Your prolly doing hi-speed 4th downshift 3rd gear turns with new tires in back and want more grip. Most tracks around here are lame but fun 2nd gear tracks. I like to be able to throw it and just mash it without to much stress kinda like my GT3 setups
Creizai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Sonic Motor
www.SonicMotor.com

Trader Rating: (113)
Sonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 113 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sonic Motor
Track with elevation

Front:
Camber -2.5
Toe: within factory specs
caster: as close to factory as I can, right now its 7.4 or something...

Rear:
Camber: -2 or -2.2

Flat track/street with no elevation changes:
Front:
Camber -2.5
caster: as close to factory as I can, right now its 7.4 or something...

Rear:
Camber: -0

For toe: people keep telling me to keep it within spec with a little toe out biased. I did a a few time. Didnt like how it felt on the freeway.
For caster: It all depends on wheel clearance and what you are used to.
Camber: obviously, more camber is better for grip

Tire pressure and tire grip makes Crazy amount of difference when you drift.

Last edited by Sonic Motor; 01-06-2009 at 10:23 AM..
Sonic Motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Team Aero-K
Zilvia Junkie

Team Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant futureTeam Aero-K has a brilliant future
Nice nice....keep em coming.....

See my set up is pretty normal i guess, I have all the arms and links swapped out for full adjustability.
My front and rear rims are 17X9.5J +17 offset with 25mm front fenders and 30mm rear quarters. Front wheels have 10mm spacers rear has 15mm spacers.

I noticed with the setup i have, the highway drive is scary....but then again, it could be that one side my be slightly off then the other. I believe the passenger side tension rod is stuck, it won't budge one bit. Might be stripped.

I have brand new Uras Tension rods going on, brand new Uras Inner tie rods and D-max outers
Old 03-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Silvia_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Silvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymore
i like grip.

front
castor 7.6
camber -2.0ish
toe stock

rear
i dont touch castor
camber is -1.0 or 1.1
toe is zero
Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
Team Aero-K
Zilvia Junkie

anyone else might have their drift alignment specs to share with me....I need a few more advice, pretty much everybody so far is running similar to the same set-up.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
apex
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
apex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
mine is dd with sum track time i gotta change it soon cuz it
wants to turn by itself
fn's 17x9 +15 225/45/17 front
rear 17x9+15 235/40/17
front
cam.1.5
toe.0
cas.6.5
rear:
cam 3.5
toe and cas stock
front sus.is
tein inner and outter tie rods
kazama t/c rods
yanack metal rack bushing
alumi steering bushing
nismo power brace
new stock flca bushing
megan street coils and tein strut bars
Old 03-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Silvia_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Silvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymoreSilvia_S13 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia_S13 View Post
i like grip.

front
castor 7.6
camber -2.0ish
toe stock

rear
i dont touch castor
camber is -1.0 or 1.1
toe is zero
whoever left me neg rep for saying i like grip is an idiot. i meant i like more grip mid drift or while drifting. i like having traction, i like having control, i don't like the feeling of not having enough traction. so i run less camber, in my drift car.

so whoever left me neg rep saying "drift spec alignment, learn to read" is a fucking idiot.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
Sonic Motor
www.SonicMotor.com

Sonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfection
people at the Federal Drift event said...
Its better to have 0 to -1 degree camber in the rear.
They said its better.

And more air pressure in your tires for more smoke.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Team Aero-K
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carparthookup View Post
people at the Federal Drift event said...
Its better to have 0 to -1 degree camber in the rear.
They said its better.

And more air pressure in your tires for more smoke.
It also depends on the course too, Federal might be correct on the part where the track has elevation changes and steep upgrades, but for a level track that has no elevation, adding a little more camber in the rear would make a little sense. But never go over -3.0 in the rear, even -2.5 is pushing it sometimes. You would want a full contact patch of the tire to hit the ground for even tire wear and also the traction you would require in drift.

This is giving me great idea's for my next setup....thanks guys, keep em coming...i still want to see more alignment specs!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Sonic Motor
www.SonicMotor.com

actually, from personal experience, like I said, I think for flat surface courses, its better to have more camber for more even wear.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
Team Aero-K
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carparthookup View Post
actually, from personal experience, like I said, I think for flat surface courses, its better to have more camber for more even wear.
completely agree with you.....thats the same thing i said in my post before, no elevation more camber!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
tougekid
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
tougekid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i run -2.5 camber, 0 toe and 7* of caster in the front.-1.5 camber, 1/8 toe in and i dont know about the caster on the rear.i've got to get a better alignment done. cornor balanced blah,blah...im curious on the takeing out 12mm on the rear caster though. can you post a link to it please? i tryed going to ziptied, but the sites( or my office computer) is messed up.
tougekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
S13
Steering bushing, Megan street coilovers, all adjustable arms/rods/bars.
17 x 9 +10 225/45/17 front
17 x 10 +10 235/45/17
Front camber -3, Rear -1.5
Caster front is maxed out, rears is near OEM spec.
Toe I cant remember but near stock on front and little aggresive on rear.

I was getting good grip for about 80mph entries from 4th then downshift to 3rd. I was running Federal 595s. Alot will have to do with the tire you choose to run and like someone was saying before was tire pressure. This definately makes a big difference. If you need more grip in your front just lower the pressure and vice versa. This is pretty self explanatory. Same with rears. if you feel you need more traction, like the rear end is just sliding all crazy and shit drop that pressure like its hot.

by the way, i also used to run a crazy camber on highways which was scary...i think like -5ish lol. every bump i hit the car wanted to steer. Looks good but not too fun to drive. Good luck with your future setups...By the way sorry for the long post but try to pick some good tires and stick with them so you can be more consistent.

Nino
Luvs2slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
Sorry, I know this is an old thread but I figure I'd post my alignement here...

I did myself today.

Front Driver : 3 mm (toe out) ( 0.365* toe out)
-0.21 camber

Front Pass : - 3.1 mm (toe in) ( - 0.377* toe in)
-0.12* camber

Rear Driver : -0.5mm (toe in)(0.058* toe in)
-3.92* camber

Rear Pass : -1mm (toe in)( 0.121* toe in)
-3.67 camber

Notes:

-Still going to play with my front camber, I just made the mistake of maxing out the coilover bracket outwards, and even with the top plate maxed inwards, i could only get that much negative camber out of it. I did like the way it drove though, super grippy front end.

- the +3 / -3 toe in the front is because my wheel's werent straight, so obviously when the car straightens out, that becomes 0 / 0 (or does it? still going to double check it later)

- rear camber not even: it's close enough, and the stock arms are a bitch to adjust.

Overall, I'd say it's totally worth to take the time and do this yourself. It's a good learning experience, and you know how your car is setup.

I'll leave it like this for now, try it out at the track sunday and report back to you guys with what changes have been made.

Does anyone here run close to 0 camber in the front?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #16
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Front:

Camber: 3.8
Caster: 7
Toe: 0

Rear
Camber: 2.2
Toe 0
Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
mifesto
Zilvia Member

mifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nicemifesto is just really nice
KiDynomite, i like ur setup (though i wouldnt have so much front neg camber cuz i do mostly street) but isnt 0 toe everything gonna make it feedback alil numb?
mifesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
D1champ
Zilvia Junkie

D1champ is on the path to ruinD1champ is on the path to ruin
Front camber -2.3
Toe 0.02
caster OEM

Rear camber -3.7
Toe 0
Caster OEM
D1champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #19
Team Aero-K
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1champ View Post
Front camber -2.3
Toe 0.02
caster OEM

Rear camber -3.7
Toe 0
Caster OEM

May I ask why you are running so much Negative Camber in the rear?? How bad is your tire wear?

Ive been seeing people run -3.5 camber in the front and between -1.5 -2.0
Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #20
NewS13Guy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
NewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
bump for more specs! I have a S13 fastback and want to know as much info as possible before I buy my wheels! I was thinking of going 17x9 (f) 17x9.5 (r) + 20 offset all the way around to be on the safe side. Any opinions???
NewS13Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:29 AM   #21
redsx13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
redsx13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewS13Guy View Post
bump for more specs! I have a S13 fastback and want to know as much info as possible before I buy my wheels! I was thinking of going 17x9 (f) 17x9.5 (r) + 20 offset all the way around to be on the safe side. Any opinions???
Thread-jack anyone??
(i know this is an old post, but i just had to point this one out haha)
redsx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #22
TheBoRiley

TheBoRiley is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsx13 View Post
Thread-jack anyone??
(i know this is an old post, but i just had to point this one out haha)
HEY GUYS! Let me tell you about my drift car on this old post!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #23
TheBoRiley

TheBoRiley is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewS13Guy View Post
HEY GUYS! Let me tell you about my drift car on this old post!
Old 05-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #24
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDyNomiTe View Post
Front:

Camber: 3.8
Caster: 7
Toe: 0

Rear
Camber: 2.2
Toe 0
9 years later