Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:05 AM   #1
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Go karting frame / chassis and engine choice...???

Might be getting sucked into a hobby here. And am kinda looking for some advice. May not be the best place to ask, but zilvia has helped me out A LOT over the years.

Going to be starting from scratch. I want to get into karting, just don’t wanna spend money on some whack@ss knockoff stuff. Was looking at different engines (there’s a lot), and am leaning towards either 100cc or 125cc 2-stroke. 250cc 4-stroke works for me too!

Main / major question though is frame selection. No idea what I should be looking for. Anyone able to help? Or guide me to somewhere where I’d be able to receive the help? Thanks in advance guys.
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Ummmm. This is a "real" car forum.. not a kart fourm

Dont know how much info ull gain here but best of luck to u
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Never know. Lol.

To anyone who gives a shit. Gonna start off with a used kart or a Margay or Tony Kart. Engine is the LO206 due to me just starting out and the popularity. Will move up from there.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
D.Bo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
D.Bo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
running the l206 is best bang for your buck and has been growing popularity. I would check with your local kart track and see which program has the most people in it. but starting l206 is a good choice.

Tony karts have really good frames. I like them better than margay frames. You can probably find some decent used ones. Just make sure its for a 4 stroke chassis since the clutch is inboard if not you can use a 2 stroke chassis and convert it.
D.Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

I’m hearing conflicting info on 4-stroke vs 2-stroke karts and their frames. May just buy another kart whenever I switch over (won’t be for couple years I’m sure).

PittRace (Pitt Intl, Beaver Run, w/e tf you want to cal it) has lots of LO206 stuff. Ample practice time available.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:38 AM   #6
D.Bo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
D.Bo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It usually dealing with the rear cross back on the frame. If you're using a 2 stoke frame with a 4 stroke, the clutch, chain, and rear axle gear interfere with the cross bar,

I've converted a few 2 stroke frames to work with a 4 stroke engines. you just need to cut the bar out and relocate it to where its not in the way on the rear section
D.Bo is offline   Reply With Quote