Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:56 AM   #1
igot86

Trader Rating: (0)
igot86 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cluster help

Ok this is a weird one and im totally stump.
All exterior and interior lights works perfectly except the cluster.

Replaced the tail light fuse because it was blown. Cluster worked perfectly, turn headlights on cluster lights up, turn headlights off cluster goes off, now i went to mount the cluster back in and now itll only light up with keys in the "on" position only with the headlights off. Turn headlights on, cluster lights off.
Any help?
igot86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What model/chassis? Maybe it's the little white box that s13's have.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #3
igot86

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
What model/chassis? Maybe it's the little white box that s13's have.

Whoops my bad 89 s13.
Previous owner put in aftermarket radio, but looks like harness isn't hacked up.
Tcu looks good also. No burnts and contacts looks good.

Does anyone know where the radio ground wire is grounded to.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:03 PM   #4
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The factory radio grounds through its own chassis. The pin that's sometimes populated with a black wire on aftermarket adapter harnesses is connected to nothing on the car side. Empty box on the factory wiring diagram.

IIRC my old '90s Pioneer head unit, while the manual directs you to ground through the black wire on the head unit's harness, is also simply grounded through the brackets to the metal frame of the radio.

Basically everything else in the interior (cluster, accessories, everything) grounds to M57 which is up under the passenger side dash.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:20 PM   #5
igot86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
The factory radio grounds through its own chassis. The pin that's sometimes populated with a black wire on aftermarket adapter harnesses is connected to nothing on the car side. Empty box on the factory wiring diagram.

IIRC my old '90s Pioneer head unit, while the manual directs you to ground through the black wire on the head unit's harness, is also simply grounded through the brackets to the metal frame of the radio.

Basically everything else in the interior (cluster, accessories, everything) grounds to M57 which is up under the passenger side dash.

Thanks dude. Ill be checking that ground.

I went with the test light,.checked the far right cluster plug. Green wire is showing me 4v and it started dinging like i had keys in the ignition which i dont.
Green wire is 12v meter according to the fsm