Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #1
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
GKTech 4.0 v.s. Wisefab 2.0 [S-chassis]

So there are some threads on this topic but they're fairly outdated. This will be a discussion about GKTech's SUPER LOCK V4 v.s Wisefab Dritt Angle 2.0 kits. While the feedback of those people who have actually purchased, used and abused these kits is highly appreciated, maybe some others have some feedback to deliver as well.

Currently, I have a S14a Silvia with the full GKTech rear package. Not sure if there are versions to this but I got this a few months ago so I'm sure it's the most current as the part number hasn't changed nor the image on the site. I am looking to purchase a FULL angle kit. I've run Villians in the past and a few other drop knuckles but was looking at complete systems offered for this chassis. PBM does make a product but seeing the quality after little use in some friends, I immediately ruled them out. There is solid quality with the GKTech kit I have in the rear but if spending a little more means a far superior performing kit, I'll roll with that.

What are you personal impressions?
What is the quality like upon first glance and after abuse?
How did it hold up to impact?

Let us know and we can use this thread as a frame of reference. If you want to discuss kits like MANTIS or other things, you're more than welcome to include them but I have no real experience with the kit and haven't had anyone local mention they run it.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For what its worth, I dont have personal experience with the WiseFab stuff, but I do run the GKtech drift/grip front knuckle along with their FLCA and clearance tension rod. The little bit of event driving that I have done with this kit has been fantastic. At roughly -7 camber, 7.5deg caster, 0 toe - the car self steers so good and the steering is responsive and predictable.

Take it with a grain of salt. I'll def be staying here for the info. Interested to see what others have experienced.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
I will say this, the rear end setup GKTech makes is pretty damned good. Officer Dan makes some excellent videos explaining how everything works. I swapped a S14 rear subframe into my R32 with basically everything they offer for the rear end and it's night and day. The anti-squat and grip is so spot on, I couldn't recommend it enough. Because I'm basically mimicking the whole setup onto my S14a Silvia, I haven't had a true angle kit which is where this thread comes from. I'm hoping for a good deal of knowledge and experience to come of it - especially with both companies releasing new versions semi-recently.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
loser101
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
loser101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to loser101
I have the GKTech Grip front knuckles and lower control arms. I just put them in and only had one track day but they felt pretty good. Will need to do a few more days to get a better idea.

Quality seems pretty good. I had a few small fitment issues due to my other parts being SPL but I resolved most of those. They are pretty good at answering questions on their facebook chat.

I am considering getting their rear lower control arm and knuckle.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

I can vouch for the rear being pretty amazing. They make a drift specific front setup. Any reason you didn't go that route?
Old 07-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
loser101
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
I can vouch for the rear being pretty amazing. They make a drift specific front setup. Any reason you didn't go that route?
I am the rare unicorn s chassis owner that does not drift their car.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

I was expecting there to be more involvement in this thread. Damn.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
I was expecting there to be more involvement in this thread. Damn.
Yeah probably not a huge amount of zilvians who have sprung for Wisefab v2 or the full GKtech setup. A lot of guys are still rocking cut n' shuts.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #9
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser101 View Post
I am the rare unicorn s chassis owner that does not drift their car.
Unicorn priviledges revoked, as I too do not drift my s-chassis and have GKtech grip knuckles up front.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Interesting. I guess we wait.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #11
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Ive got the gktech front and rear setup with the drift/grip knuckles. I like it a lot. On the downside its all made in china and the coating blows right off. I had the pieces recoated when i had my subframe welded and powdercoated.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #12
cerealwars
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
cerealwars is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Gonna bump this thread. Can anyone comment on these latest GKTech knuckles for grip driving? Seems a few of you have them already.

Stuck deciding between GKTech Grip, GKTech Grip/Drift, and FDF front knuckles for my road racing S13. I'd love faster steering input but am hesitant if this will compromise other facets of steering geometry.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #13
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Most of these kits are designed to combat the pitfalls of geometry loss that are sacrificed with drop knuckles and such. I FDF from what I recall is more geared to drifting but one would like to think everyone is after snappier, grippier front geometry. I don't know what makes the DRIFT and GRIP setups different but GKTech is what I run on my Skyline and love it.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealwars View Post
Gonna bump this thread. Can anyone comment on these latest GKTech knuckles for grip driving? Seems a few of you have them already.

Stuck deciding between GKTech Grip, GKTech Grip/Drift, and FDF front knuckles for my road racing S13. I'd love faster steering input but am hesitant if this will compromise other facets of steering geometry.
Every company has their own idea of the ideal ackerman percentage/curve, which is really what's changing between the Grip and Grip/drift knuckles. FDF are just tweaked copies of wisefab, though I do see they make their own "grip" knuckle with a bolt-on hub. It says "12 degrees of ackerman is ideal for extended track with s-chassis", but how he came to that conclusion no one will ever know.

In all actuality, these things differ depending on what track you're at, what tires you're using, your ride height, and how fast you like your steering. Pick one you like the idea of and run with it, nobody has objective data on one vs. the other.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #15
loser101
Leaky Injector

I have done 10 events since installing the GKTech Grip front knuckles and lower control arms. I gotta say I am pretty happy with them, front of the car feels better and more precise. Granted I am not the biggest expert and it all might be in my head lol.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #16
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser101 View Post
I have done 10 events since installing the GKTech Grip front knuckles and lower control arms. I gotta say I am pretty happy with them, front of the car feels better and more precise. Granted I am not the biggest expert and it all might be in my head lol.
It is very objectively not all in your head, hah.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #17
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I like that the FDF knuckles do have shorter steering arm for quicker steering. It's my favorite part of old, custom knuckles that I have, and the reason that I haven't tried anything else.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #18
cerealwars
Zilvia Member

Thanks for the helpful replies. Glad to hear loser101's satisfied with the GKs, that gives me some confidence.

FDF vs. the GK drift&grip knuckles seem very comparable. Both offer the same roll center correction and 25% quicker steering ratio.

I really like the idea of quicker steering, but want to avoid any pitfalls associated with sacrificing Ackerman. Sounds like that's not a big deal though, from the consensus around here.

As PoorMans180sx mentioned, FDF supplies 12* Ackerman angle. GKTech's infographic promises "+5* over stock", whatever that is.

Does anyone know what stock Ackerman is on an S13?

I tend to have a tough time making decisions until I'm confident I have all the data available. But PoorMan makes a good point, at the end of the day I'll need to just pick something and run with it.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #19
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

S13 ackerman is 100%. Angle depends on how much steering angle you have.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #20
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
We should do a parts exchange LOL.... I too don't drift and all grip, but I own Driftworks V2 fronts with T3 Lower Arms and PBM rear knuckles on s14 subframe....

I got em at great prices, anything better than stock but wonder how much better vs. grip designed stuff
Old 11-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #21
cerealwars
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
S13 ackerman is 100%. Angle depends on how much steering angle you have.
That'd explain a bit.

Thanks.

I assume they'd mean at full lock then, right?

Last edited by cerealwars; 11-13-2020 at 05:57 AM..
cerealwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #22
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Bump for any new data.
Old 12-26-2022, 04:57 AM   #23
Marphie21

Trader Rating: (0)
Marphie21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Bump for any new data.