Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
na6miata

Trader Rating: (0)
na6miata is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just a basic S13 hatch build thread

Deleting all the old and starting a new with my new builds

Read starting at post #4

Last edited by na6miata; 05-04-2022 at 01:29 PM..
na6miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
na6miata

Realized I haven't given any updates at all, but not much has changed except for blowing up the dual cam KA a couple of months ago. I did end up doing 2 and a half events with the KA before it gave up though. So instead of putting in another KA or rebuilding the one I have I decided to do a swap.

Ended up getting a great deal on a JZX110 1JZ VVTI with warranty

Ended up getting an even better deal on the trans. A good friend of mine put a sequential in his 2J car and I got his old R154, trans mount, driveshaft, extended shifter housing, and a couple of other things for $500.

Still need to buy a couple of things at the moment, but the car will 100% be ready for 100DOD at summit point. Then the new suspension and body work can begin.

Last edited by na6miata; 05-04-2022 at 01:28 PM..
Old 10-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Lets get some photo resizing up in this bih
Old 05-04-2022, 02:52 PM   #4
na6miata

4 year later update

Well, quite a lot has changed since I had the first hatch and at a point financially and skill wise that I am able to do a much better job. I've continuously had an S chassis since I had my first one in 2018 and I am happy with the two that I currently have.

My 1993 Silvia

And my most recent acquisition, my 1991 hatch

Let's start with the Silvia. I bought this car in January of 2020 completely stock and then almost immediately started ruining it.

Upon getting it home I put in a Bride Zeta III seat with bride rails, definitely my favorite seat rails for these cars. Sits low and very good quality.

5 lug swap, Z32 front brakes, and knuckles, Sikky sway bar, and tension rods

(Ignore that one tension rod was installed and the other one wasn't, was mid install when I took the picture)

Now, since the car was NA when I bought it I had a few things to do to prep it for boost. The first was the clutch and ECU. I wired in a old Haltech Sprint 500 I had laying around and then did an Exedy hyper single clutch kit, which I can't say enough good things about this clutch. The engagement and driveability is fantastic and has replacement parts easily available. For any sub 400whp SR this is the clutch to go with

The car ended up making 142whp on the dyno with just a catback and a stock intake and tune on 93 octane in its naturally aspirated form, which was plenty to have fun with.

Rubbed through the harness on more than one occasion

Sold my caged coupe

More updates to follow in a later post when I am able to have the time to write out a bit more

Last edited by na6miata; 05-05-2022 at 07:40 AM..
Old 05-05-2022, 08:10 AM   #5
na6miata

And now for the hatch. This one I have owned for about a week at this point and I am honestly not too sure what route I want to take with this car quite yet. Having just sold my BRZ yesterday, I am now daily driving this car and sending it out to paint in about 2 and a half weeks once the rest of the aero is on.

First things first was a quick mock up of everything
OEM bumper, waiting on the fender extensions to show up and the side brackets to the fender

The person who bought my coupe had a set of type X tails that I bought off of him and threw them on, just needs the RPS center garnish to go with it

Wing was next, I have had this laying around since my first hatch just waiting for when I got another

The side skirts I had stolen from my Silvia to use on this car since I am working with a deadline and couldn't get a set of good quality side skirts in the time I need them. The deadline being Vibes drift in Lake Erie, PA at the end of June.

Last pieces of the puzzle are the rear valences which should be here later today and the fender extensions, then off to paint it goes

The car does already have a built KA in it and I do have plans in the future to do a basic KA-T setup on the car using a lot of the hand-me-down parts from the Silvia which I have changed most of the parts from my original setup on that car. Since I just built a new engine harness for the Silvia based around a new Haltech Elite ECU, this car is going to get my old Haltech Sprint ECU when that time comes. Made a quick jumper harness for it. Just need to test it and make sure it works properly and then epoxy the base.

And the new dash for the Silvia is wired in!

Currently using the Haltech mount with the integrated visor, but I'm not the biggest fan of it and Mako Motorsports has this mount that replaces the factory cluster
https://www.makomotorsport.com/colle...luster-mount-0

Lastly, need to figure out a different exhaust for the hatch. Had a hanger break off on the way to work today and this exhaust was already way too loud. Need to figure out what exhaust is low car friendly and not burst my ear drums on my 25 minute drive to work. Leaning towards the HKS Sport catback but not sure how low car friendly it is going to be.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:49 AM   #6
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Interesting, I'd like to see some real word pictures of the Mako stuff. I'd consider a blank for my car.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #7
na6miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Interesting, I'd like to see some real word pictures of the Mako stuff. I'd consider a blank for my car.
The real fitment is pretty good. This one is for an SC300 with an IC-7

Old 05-06-2022, 01:58 PM   #8
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
I like where this is headed, keep it up OP!
Old 05-06-2022, 06:04 PM   #9
na6miata

Rear valences came in, now just waiting on the fender extensions to show up and it is ready to get painted

Ended up ordering the HKS sport exhaust, hopefully it quiets down the hatch a good bit as the exhaust that is on it now is way to loud to comfortably daily drive. Have a few side projects keeping me busy as well. Currently fixing the AC in my girlfriends R32 skyline as well and found the high pressure line to have a couple of holes in it

The Silvia had a few parts ordered for it too. Last time I drove it and was street tuning it I lifted the head at about 16psi on E85, so have a new MLS head gasket, ARP head studs, Tomei cams on order for that too to hopefully fix that issue. Looking to stay with the stock bottom end for now and probably build the bottom end this winter. Wondering if I should do a separate build thread for the hatch and Silvia or combine them into one.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:05 PM   #10
na6miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFITTZY View Post
I like where this is headed, keep it up OP!
Thank you! Hoping to have some good updates on the hatch in the next couple of weeks, have a few things that I have in the works with it
Old 05-30-2022, 08:12 PM   #11
na6miata

Not too much going on with the car currently but a small update

Got the rear valences mocked up and trimmed them a bit, since these aren't true OEM the fitment was pretty meh but with the limited amount of time I have to build the car, they will do

Went to Final Bout SSE at Summit, of course I forgot to take more pictures and the only one I got was of a couple of JZX100's

While I was there I was looking around Faction Fab's booth and happened to find the last piece I needed to finish the parts I needed for paint, the fender extensions!

Got those mounted with some new brackets from Infinity Chantilly, who has been awesome about having a ton of OEM nissan parts for these cars.

A few days later I had to go drop off a couple of engines to a machine shop for work that was about 4 hours each way and about 15 minutes from there I ended up getting a tire blow out at 75-80mph. Thankfully got the car to a stop, with a bit of a scare but everything was alright except for being stranded for about 2 and a half hours on the side of a highway waiting for roadside assistance to come with a jack (The one time I take my jack out of the car)

Unfortunately when they got there I put the spare wheel/tire on and find that it didn't clear the inside of the wheel arch.

So ended up getting the car towed to a firestone who stayed open a little late and got 2 new tires on and off I went

The next day on my way to work started hearing a really bad axle clunk, so that night I swapped axles out with some autozone axles (Only thing I was able to get same day, and were $140 for the pair)

Hopefully these OEM axles will be able to be rebuilt so I can have some spares when the autozone ones fail

Also put on some knuckles and extended lower arms (Didn't get any photo's of this part) and then the next morning went ahead and dropped the car off to get painted!

Should be getting the car back next week, excited to see it all one color

Picked up 8 Ironman's. Haven't tried these out before, but for $60 a tire I will take my chances. Used to running Kenda's and Valino's on my Siliva so curious how these hold up.

Last thing is I got a 4.6 diff for the car and planning on putting this in my spare VLSD diff and shimming it, which should wake up this NA dual cam until I throw a little bit more power at it in the future.

That's all for now
Old 05-31-2022, 04:49 PM   #12
na6miata

Some quick photos from the paint shop, mostly prepped and getting sprayed this week

Wish I had some cheap wheels that I didn't care about but oh well, next update will be with the new color and all aero mounted back on the car
Old 06-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #13
na6miata

Picked up the car from paint yesterday and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out and the choice of color I ended up going with. The color code is b-575p Still Night Blue Pearl from the new ILX A-spec

Accidentally made this car nicer than my Silvia too

Still a lot I have planned for this car in the coming months. It needs new coilovers, I would like to get a new set of wheels, subframe bushings, a diff. After that will come the motor, which while it is a built motor, definitely needs to be resealed as it has some leaks. Stay tuned for that

Last edited by na6miata; 06-07-2022 at 10:57 AM..
Old 06-07-2022, 11:05 AM   #14
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Love the color. Also, I'm a big fan of the Ironmans. I get pretty good longevity out of them for my horsepower and tire width. They are relatively consistent down to the cords.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:35 AM   #15
na6miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Love the color. Also, I'm a big fan of the Ironmans. I get pretty good longevity out of them for my horsepower and tire width. They are relatively consistent down to the cords.
Thank you, was worried how it would turn out looking on this car but came out better than I could have hoped for.

Everyone I have spoke to about them says they are pretty good, if they are consistent and have decent grip I will be happy.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #16
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

Color looks fantastic in the sun! I'm also a fan of ironmans, hard to beat for decent burners. Keep up the good work, enjoy fallowing your progress.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:43 PM   #17
na6miata

Not too many changes on the hatch, will be doing a good bit to it pretty soon. The hatch currently have a built KA in it but after quite a few years of it being in from when the old old owner had the car it leaks a fair amount now. Definitely in need of a refresh.

Thankfully, I have this stock S14 KA that I refreshed last winter when I had the white coupe.

Not too bad for an unknown condition KA

Unfortunately, the Silvia lifted the head after nearly 3 years of abuse. So out the SR will come and in my 1JZ swap I have been hoarding for a while. My current ECU in that car will be able to be utilized, just need to build a new engine harness for it and it'll be good to go. But since I am not going to be using the SR for the forseeable future, most of the turbo parts from that car aren't gonna be being used. So the front mount kit, injectors, and turbo can all go to the KA for now.

A few other goodies as well

Not a fan of side feed injectors, so this Radium rail will pair nicely with the 1000cc Fuel Injector Clinic injectors. The rail utilizes either a 34mm or 48mm injector and a 14mm top and bottom o-ring. Thankfully, a very common injector size. More reliable injectors and cheaper than side feeds as well.
Also needed a new clutch, the one in the car has been slipping slightly since I went to Vibes Drift and has just gotten worse over the last couple of months. Have never been a fan of how it engages either, its fairly aggressive and not so good for daily use. So a Comp Clutch stage 2 should do the trick and give much better driveability.

Also picked up a pair of 57CR's for the rear of the hatch

Hoping to have the last of the parts I need in the next week or two to swap the motor and do the basic KA-T setup, only looking for mid 200's at the rear wheels which won't be a problem for a stock KA (Hopefully)...

Last edited by na6miata; 12-27-2022 at 07:56 PM..
Old 10-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #18
na6miata

So I end up falling into this bad habit of lying to myself when building a car and keeping it simple. Originally, I was going to be using a lot of the old components from my SR to keep it fairly simple and do a bottom mount setup. That was until I got a message saying that Jon at Future Fabrication could get me a manifold done pretty quickly for the timeline I was looking for. I placed the order for the manifold last Thursday, and exactly one week later I got it in

I can't speak highly enough of the quality of these manifolds. Fantastic price ($849 shipped), excellent build quality, and he got it to me about as fast as I could get a cheap bottom mount manifold. I've used a handful of these manifolds in the past, mostly for 2J applications, but they have always impressed.

As for the rest of the setup, it is still mostly parts I had laying around. The old intercooler kit from my Silvia is being used, this GTX2867R turbo I had sitting in a bin in my garage with a TiAL v-band exhaust housing that was sitting on the shelf at work.

Starting to think I might be going a bit overkill for what was supposed to be a basic seat time car/daily driver. It's been good as a daily, just a minor issue every now and then. Had my fuel pump relay crap out on me not too long ago, thankfully I had a spare one in the car. Other than that, car has been solid.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #19
na6miata

Haven't had too much time to work on the car lately with life getting in the way. Have been trying to get as much done on the motor outside of the car as I can. Installed the injectors, flex fuel sensor, regulator, and made the line to the sensor.

The motor is just mostly tucked in the corner of my garage. One of the bigger undertakings that I have been doing is building a new engine harness. Decided to ditch the Sprint 500 and use the Elite 750 I had in my Silvia since that car is getting a full revamp and will be changing to an Elite 1500.

I'll circle back to the harness at a later date once I verify full function of it and do a fully sealed harness, but this one will do the trick for the time being. Only thing I wish I did differentially with this harness when I started building it would be adding a firewall bulkhead connector, but that will be done on the next harness.

The turbo and manifold sure do look nice on the motor as well

Last things I need to do on the motor is head studs, make the oil drain line, and reseal the oil pan, I'll be swapping the intake manifold from the motor that is currently in the car over to this one when I pull it out of the car.

As for the Silvia, I plan on tearing down the engine from that once this one is all done and send it out to the machine shop.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:50 PM   #20
Snilssson
Leaky Injector

Snilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really nice
Looks awesome, can’t believe how fast you’re doing everything!
Snilssson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:25 PM   #21
na6miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snilssson View Post
Looks awesome, can?t believe how fast you?re doing everything!
Thank you sir. I feel like I have been pretty slow with the car lately, not much has changed on it in the last couple months besides some new wheels and new coilovers. Mostly just been small things for the time being and taking my time prepping the other motor to go in the car. Harness is getting close to finished and just need to do head studs and will be good to go in the car.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:32 AM   #22
na6miata

A while back I lifted the head on my SR in my Silvia and it has just been kind of sitting around since then. I got a bit tired of not driving it but the funds weren't there to do the setup how I really wanted to do it.

So I went ahead and started tearing it apart.

For how hard I ran this setup everything looked pretty good when I tore it apart. I have the head going to the machine shop this week, I still need to figure out where I am going to bring the bottom end to.

I am going to pretty much redo the entire setup on this car. As of right now the plans are:

11.0:1 compression
Manley H beam rods
ARP head studs
ARP main studs
MLS head gasket
GSC or HKS step 2 cams
GSC valve springs
Switch to an Artec top mount
G25-550 turbo
Turbosmart wastegate
PBM mid mount intercooler
And then switch to a different ECU. Deciding between either a Haltech Elite 1500, Emtron SL4, or MoTec M130. Depends how crazy I want to go with adding sensors to the car.

Not so much looking for crazy power with the car, more so just good response.

Once the motor is all good to go I will start playing around with the suspension on the car and maybe a little bit of aero.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:59 AM   #23
na6miata

Dropped the SR off at the machine shop, ordered a couple of parts for the long block. Still need to get an ATI damper, a set of valve springs, and an Apex'i head gasket and that will be it for the long block. Should have the engine back from them for me to assemble in 2-3 weeks. For now, just need to clean the engine bay, delete as much as I am able to from the engine bay and intake manifold, and modify the valve cover.

Going to be replacing the fuel hanger and all of the hard lines with a Radium hanger and single Walbro 450lph fuel pump and run -6 feed and return lines. Will probably mount the flex fuel sensor the same way I am on my KA car as well as it makes it easy to service and looks pretty clean as well. Will also be adding a Mocal sandwhich plate and Setrab oil cooler and power steering cooler with a lot of heat management.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:22 AM   #24
na6miata

Definitely spending more on this build than I should be, but it will definitely be worth it once it is all done and making power. Should be getting the motor back about mid month, then it is the tedious process of measuring, cleaning, and assembling it all.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:28 AM   #25
na6miata

Definitely not my permanent exhaust, just something to be able to drive it to work to fab a downpipe. Getting fairly close to getting this KA-T started, just need to finish the turbo lines, oil cooler, fuel rail, and weld on the BOV and IAT sensor bungs to the intercooler piping.