Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #31
sc ka24e
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
sc ka24e has a spectacular aura aboutsc ka24e has a spectacular aura aboutsc ka24e has a spectacular aura aboutsc ka24e has a spectacular aura aboutsc ka24e has a spectacular aura aboutsc ka24e has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
cool yeah ill check it..it didnt pass by about 10 points in 15mph i even used that gaurenteed to pass ish.. but no luck... i found a brittle line that runs from the egr to bpt valve and fixed but havent gone for the retest.. also on the bpt valve when u take it off,close all the holes and blow in it is it supposed to escape air..?? cause this 1 does.. and im not sure if its supposed to seal air or acts as an exhaust
sc ka24e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #32
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
i have an s13 with an sr20det redtop. how many hundreds should i leave on the seat?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #33
sldbyuramg
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
sldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
word...thanks for the info
sldbyuramg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #34
Forge_55b
Zilvia Junkie

Forge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enough
on OBDII cars is there a check on SRS airbag systems and what exactly is checked?
Forge_55b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #35
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

techn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to techn9ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc ka24e View Post
cool yeah ill check it..it didnt pass by about 10 points in 15mph i even used that gaurenteed to pass ish.. but no luck... i found a brittle line that runs from the egr to bpt valve and fixed but havent gone for the retest.. also on the bpt valve when u take it off,close all the holes and blow in it is it supposed to escape air..?? cause this 1 does.. and im not sure if its supposed to seal air or acts as an exhaust
im not really sure. the bpt valve is supposed to allow manifold vacuum to the egr to turn the egr on when there is sufficient backpressure in the exhaust and load on the engine. try restricting the exhaust to create backpressure (restricting, not completely blocking) and see if the car shudders or dies. if the car does, the bpt and egr should be working correctly.

Last edited by techn9ne; 06-18-2008 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: left a word out
techn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #36
sked707
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
sked707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
What kind of training/schooling do you need to go through to be a smog tech? How's the pay?
sked707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #37
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

techn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge_55b View Post
on OBDII cars is there a check on SRS airbag systems and what exactly is checked?
we dont check the airbag systems. we plug the smog machine into the pcm, and it checks for emissions related dtc's
Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #38
joefresh
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
joefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
how much does your boss want for the q45?
also, i would like to install a "heavy duty" type engine in my vehicle. will this be a problem?
joefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #39
k's_silvia2.0
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
k's_silvia2.0 is close to perfectionk's_silvia2.0 is close to perfectionk's_silvia2.0 is close to perfectionk's_silvia2.0 is close to perfectionk's_silvia2.0 is close to perfectionk's_silvia2.0 is close to perfectionk's_silvia2.0 is close to perfectionk's_silvia2.0 is close to perfectionk's_silvia2.0 is close to perfectionk's_silvia2.0 is close to perfectionk's_silvia2.0 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to k's_silvia2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
i have an s13 with an sr20det redtop. how many hundreds should i leave on the seat?
$??? We don't talk about here.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #40
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sked707 View Post
What kind of training/schooling do you need to go through to be a smog tech? How's the pay?
to get it through ase's and actual work experience, you need 2 years in a shop, your A6, A8, L1, and clean air car course, advanced clean air car course, 2005 update, and 2007 update. then you have to take the test.

pay depends on experience, and since im young (21) and my boss is a penny pinching piece of shit, i get 11/hour. but at the dealership, i would have been getting paid at 18.75/hour flat rate. too bad i got fired.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #41
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefresh View Post
how much does your boss want for the q45?
also, i would like to install a "heavy duty" type engine in my vehicle. will this be a problem?
heavy duty these nuts joe. mike is a douche canoe and left since its slow, and im just doing nothingz
Old 06-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #42
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
from what i heard, sr20's run cleaner than ka's stock for stock. hopefully you can fool the tech doin it since theyre both nissan motors?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #43
WIKID S4TEEN
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
WIKID S4TEEN is making a name for him/her selfWIKID S4TEEN is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzsti22 View Post
not sure if the ecu was changed into a 5 spd how can i tell
I don't have a 5spd ECU near me. But I do have Auto.
If it has "A18-B93 GO l" written on it, it's an Auto ECU.
You don't have a buddy you can swap just to test?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #44
blitzsti22
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
blitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blitzsti22
^^^nope i dont got a buddy with a ecu all my buddies have hondas :/
blitzsti22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:23 AM   #45
norcal_black240
Zilvia Addict

norcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to norcal_black240 Send a message via MSN to norcal_black240
Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9ne View Post
pay depends on experience, and since im young (21) and my boss is a penny pinching piece of shit, i get 11/hour. but at the dealership, i would have been getting paid at 18.75/hour flat rate. too bad i got fired.
Holy crap I thought all smog techs would at least get paid like 15 bucks a hour. 11 bucks a hour is horrible.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #46
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9ne View Post
ask me questions if you need to know something. its dead at my work, and im getting paid to browse zilvia.
Is it true that sex in the car puts bad juju on it and I won't be able to pass smog?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:03 AM   #47
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal_black240 View Post
Holy crap I thought all smog techs would at least get paid like 15 bucks a hour. 11 bucks a hour is horrible.
yeah, my boss is a bastard. but i need the money, and its easy work.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:05 AM   #48
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Is it true that sex in the car puts bad juju on it and I won't be able to pass smog?
yes. the anti sperm sensor in the cabin goes off and turns on the check engine light. the computer will see fail and aids, and immediately stops the dyno so the car is crashed into the wall. then it fails it.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #49
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Yo I can't believe you're still up!

There's some great info in this thread.

So my spare car's a '91 S13 with an OBD2 KA in it... as long as the engine passes the sniffer test and visual, they're not going to try and plug anything into it to read codes? Basically, I can just pull the CEL bulb and be straight? What about at the ref?

Also, girlfriend's car is an out-of-state model... can I buy a 49-state cat off the 'net to pass smog here, or do I need a special CA 'absorber' cat? Where should I go to get one? She's got 100k on a 2001 Sentra and it threw a code, mechanic she took it to said replace cat and o2's?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #50
twistedsymphony
Zilvia Junkie

twistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert View Post
Don't take the bulb out. Just wire the oil pressure light to the check engine light.
+1 to this... "astute" techs will notice that the CEL doesn't come on when the car goes through the self test... notice when you first turn the car on all the warning lights come on... this is so you can check if the bulbs are dead. wiring up the CEL to the oil light works great because it will come on with the self test and then go off once the car is up and running.

There are things you can do to the Auto ECU to prevent it from throwing a code, I haven't done it but I've heard its not too difficult, Manaul ECUs go on eBay and the BST all day for $60...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzsti22 View Post
not sure if the ecu was changed into a 5 spd how can i tell
not sure what years yours is but there's a nissan sticker on it with two big letters cross reference those to figure out what it is

Automatic ECUs
11 = 89-90 240sx AT (KA24E) ?
15 = 89-90 240sx AT (KA24E) Cal
25 = 91-94 240sx AT (KA24DE) ?
29 = 91-94 240sx AT (KA24DE)
HU = 95 240sx AT (KA24DE) (mfg before 10/94)
3D = 95 240sx AT (KA24DE) (mfg after 9/94)
CB = 96 240sx AT (KA24DE) Universal
NF = 97-98 240sx AT (KA24DE)
J7 = 97-98 240sx SE AT (KA24DE) (A18-H64 GA4)

Manual ECUs:
10 = 89-90 240sx MT (KA24E) ?
24 = 91-94 240sx MT (KA24DE) ?
28 = 91-94 240sx MT (KA24DE)
HT = 95 240sx MT (KA24DE) (mfg before 10/94) (A18-E07-G90)
3C = 95 240sx MT (KA24DE) (mfg after 9/94)
CA = 96 240sx SE MT (KA24DE) (A18-E27-G46)

^thats a list I've been working on, it's not complete so if you've got something else then you'll need to google about. My car has "HU" because it's an early model 95 with an AT ecu...
twistedsymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #51
mikey0129
Zilvia Member

mikey0129 is not welcome here anymoremikey0129 is not welcome here anymoremikey0129 is not welcome here anymoremikey0129 is not welcome here anymoremikey0129 is not welcome here anymoremikey0129 is not welcome here anymoremikey0129 is not welcome here anymoremikey0129 is not welcome here anymore
my bad abour that yo

Last edited by mikey0129; 06-19-2008 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: dawdawd
mikey0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #52
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Yo I can't believe you're still up!

There's some great info in this thread.

So my spare car's a '91 S13 with an OBD2 KA in it... as long as the engine passes the sniffer test and visual, they're not going to try and plug anything into it to read codes? Basically, I can just pull the CEL bulb and be straight? What about at the ref?

Also, girlfriend's car is an out-of-state model... can I buy a 49-state cat off the 'net to pass smog here, or do I need a special CA 'absorber' cat? Where should I go to get one? She's got 100k on a 2001 Sentra and it threw a code, mechanic she took it to said replace cat and o2's?
on your s13, no, theyre not gonna plug the smog machine into the ecu. as long as it passes the visual check engine light test (aka the check engine light is unlit) and it passes the normal visual and sniffer test, you should be cool. i dunno about the ref though, those guys are crazy.

out of state model cars are only required to pass the federal emissions test, which usually is just lest strict. its still the same test however, just the limits are a little bit higher. im guessing the code was "catalyst threshhold below efficiency" or some shit like that? that code usually goes off when the difference in the front 02 and the rear 02 is not what the ecu sees. so it could be just the cat, or just the 02 sensors. or both.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #53
sldbyuramg
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
sldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant futuresldbyuramg has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
still slow? lol...i need your job
sldbyuramg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #54
Oo_Skyline_oO
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
Oo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud ofOo_Skyline_oO has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Oo_Skyline_oO
I love my S13, no obd check and yes indeed +1 to the guy that suggested to wire the check engine light to the oil pressure light, GENIUS!!!!!!!!
Oo_Skyline_oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #55
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldbyuramg View Post
still slow? lol...i need your job
slow as hell right now. but we average about 16 cars a day. one day will have like 10 cars, the next will have like 28
Old 06-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #56
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I got a NA chassis rx7 with a jdm turbo swapped motor. Should equal the same as a USDM turbo car, but i got an aftermarket intercooler, exhaust system intake yadda yadda.. If i throw some cats. would it be possible to smog the car? since its a motor swap not original for this model im curious about that.

Ive seen smog guys not worry about intakes since its just air filters. Possible for my car to pass visual on a motor swap since its basically the same as a turbo model?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #57
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post
I got a NA chassis rx7 with a jdm turbo swapped motor. Should equal the same as a USDM turbo car, but i got an aftermarket intercooler, exhaust system intake yadda yadda.. If i throw some cats. would it be possible to smog the car? since its a motor swap not original for this model im curious about that.

Ive seen smog guys not worry about intakes since its just air filters. Possible for my car to pass visual on a motor swap since its basically the same as a turbo model?
intakes usually dont matter. as long as the MAF is on the intake, you can have a snorkel with a penis head air filter sticking out of your roof.

about the engine swap, if the technician doesnt notice that its the jdm motor, since the turbo motor was offered in that year, and all the emissions crap is on it (air injection and egr i believe, as well as cats) it should be fine. worse comes to worse, if he notices its the turbo'd engine, he sends you to a ref.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #58
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
techn9ne, you're the man. I'll try to get the S13 ref'd instead of just selling it/paying the fine.

So on my g/f's car, should I just reset the CEL and try to smog it first, before buying a new cat? Maybe the 100k mile cat can still pass? Most places are still "pass or you don't pay" right?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #59
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
techn9ne, you're the man. I'll try to get the S13 ref'd instead of just selling it/paying the fine.

So on my g/f's car, should I just reset the CEL and try to smog it first, before buying a new cat? Maybe the 100k mile cat can still pass? Most places are still "pass or you don't pay" right?
dont do that. when you reset the CEL light (aka disconnect the battery) on an obd 2 car, all the monitors are reset in the ECU, and must be run again. (catalyst monitor, evaporative monitor, 02 sensor monitor etc) if the smog machine notices that more than 2 of these monitors are incomplete (there are usually around 6 or so) it will fail you anyway. what i would try is to reset the check engine light and drive about 75-100 miles. if it doesnt come on after that, try and get it smog'd. if it does, try and find a friend with a scan tool and see if its the same code.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #60
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
techn9ne

240 coupe 93 still throws code 32 egr after i changed egr valve,egr bpt,egr canister valve solenoid,egr metal tube,as well as changing all vac lines behind ka near fire wall. noticed that it will turn on during constant speed ie only on freeway where im in 5th gear 3500 rpms at 60mph or so then itll turn on..sometimes it will suddenly turn off but sometimes stays on til i reset ecu any ideas what it might be

i passed slow speed with timing set @ 31 i know out of spec but failed high speed runnning rich could that be tha problem?
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote