Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #31
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Man, this looks awesome- great job! The pics of you sanding the bay made me cringe... I for sure do NOT miss that! I'm sure you don't either, haha.
im with you damon, i sure am glad all my paint and body work is LONG GONE. i think its the worst stage of any buildup. sure, the end result is absolutely worth it... but the stripping, scrubbing, welding, sanding, primering, sanding, masking, painting.... fuck... enough to make any sane person crazy.

and people wonder why these projects take so long. i tell people "thanks a lot fuck face... come down here in the trenches, turn some wrenches, and you'll understand."
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
This is amazing so far! Subscribed for sure!
Thanks man! I'll keep it updated as much as possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drftr915 View Post
I subscribed too, very beautiful worksmanship, pure art. I hope mine comes together like this.
Take your time and do things right the first time and they will. Thanks for the compliments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
JR, this thing looks like it's going to be a beast. I'll be looking forward to your updates.
Thanks man! I've been trolling in your build as well. Looks like it's going to be pretty nasty. Looking forward to updates as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Man, this looks awesome- great job! The pics of you sanding the bay made me cringe... I for sure do NOT miss that! I'm sure you don't either, haha.
You aren't kidding. I do not miss those days/evenings at all. I honestly never planned on taking a bay that far, but I had issues that needed to be fixed and well, it was one of those I've gone this far might as well go all the way. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
im with you damon, i sure am glad all my paint and body work is LONG GONE. i think its the worst stage of any buildup. sure, the end result is absolutely worth it... but the stripping, scrubbing, welding, sanding, primering, sanding, masking, painting.... fuck... enough to make any sane person crazy.

and people wonder why these projects take so long. i tell people "thanks a lot fuck face... come down here in the trenches, turn some wrenches, and you'll understand."
I completely agree. Get your ass in the fucking bay and spend hours/days/weeks doing that shit and you'll understand what it takes.

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. Still have a bunch of work to do so I'll keep the thread updated. Thanks for the kind words gentleman.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #33
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
I heard those under the intake manifold water hoses get chicken pox over time lol
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #34
turbo_dreams
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
turbo_dreams is making a name for him/her selfturbo_dreams is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I can only imagine feeling VVL under boost. Bay looks great.

www.tm-spl.com
Kouki's & some apple juice.
turbo_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #35
SC90S13
Leaky Injector

SC90S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
someday i hope to do a clean ass sr20vet build like this.
SC90S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #36
driftwhat
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
driftwhat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow dude looks great, love clean engine bays
Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #37
S14Serge
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
S14Serge is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Balllin!!!!!!! Great work
Old 05-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #38
blank240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
blank240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This build is GODZILLASOME!!! Planning to do the same thing after i get my VVL stuff. What are your specs for the bottom end? I know its forged but...more in depth?
blank240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #39
180sxqc
Zilvia Member

180sxqc is an unknown quantity at this point
Subscribed! Awesome work!
180sxqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #40
RickyS13.
Leaky Injector

RickyS13. is an unknown quantity at this point
I love VVL builds!! Everything looks so clean, great job.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #41
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank240 View Post
This build is GODZILLASOME!!! Planning to do the same thing after i get my VVL stuff. What are your specs for the bottom end? I know its forged but...more in depth?
Nothing super expensive or fancy...

JE 86.5mm x 8.5:1 w/ valve reliefs
Eagle rods
Crank scraper
ARP hardware for mains/rods
Mazworx proprietary headstuds
Apexi 87x1.5mm
Cosworth rod/main/thrust bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180sxqc View Post
Subscribed! Awesome work!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyS13. View Post
I love VVL builds!! Everything looks so clean, great job.
Thanks man, trying to keep it clean is the hard part...

Well, update time!

So, I've been slacking on the updates but that's not because I'm not getting work done. I've been working on the harness for a few days here and there, not really too interesting in my mind. However, I did get some suspension bolted back on the car tonight. I need to pull the car out of the garage because we're getting a new door put in and well the car has to move.

I bit the bullet and bought some new lower control arms. I had bent the passenger side one being stupid the last time the car was up and running and I didn't have the time to get the new one I have here laying around back to built status(i.e. gusseted, Moonface rollcenters and Nismo bushings). I will when I find the time, but for right now these will be fine. I'm also ordering heim joint endlinks for the Whiteline swaybars to get rid of that crap figure 8 design they have.

As always, pictures!!!

And the best for last. Some of you may recall me stating that I ordered a Status racing seat a few weeks/months back. Well, it finally arrived last week. As usual, I was out of town on business/visiting my girlfriend when it arrived. However, it was the first thing on my list this morning. This thing looks and feels amazing, def a snug fit. I'm in the process of aquiring an R32 GTR passenger seat to have reupholstered to match along with the door cards and rear seats. Anyone want some S14 leather rears?

As usual, thanks for looking!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #42
jr_ss
Post Whore!

So, I decided to swap out my 30mm Z32 calipers for something a little lighter and newer technology. I ended up going with a Wilwood Superlite 4pot caliper and a bracket kit to utilize the 350z track rotors. The caliper has slightly more piston area than a Z32 caliper so it won't disrupt the brake bias too much. Bracket kit was designed and made by a member on NRR, overall a great kit, complete and concise.

Overall fitment is similiar to the Z32 setup and I have plenty of clearance with my 350z V1 tracks. I'll get pictures of the wheels on in a few days. I'm going to be running the 8.5's up front and having another set widened to 9.5" for the rear.

Still lots more to do and more updates will slowly flow in. Thanks for looking as usual.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #43
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
S@nt0s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
little late but you could have asved a little $ on the fuel system by running a single pumper over your DP set up with surge tank
Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #44
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@nt0s View Post
little late but you could have asved a little $ on the fuel system by running a single pumper over your DP set up with surge tank
Could've, but then I wouldn't have a constant supply of fuel around corners, heavy acceleration, etc.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #45
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Yessir! Wilwoods are the SHIT. Keep the updates coming!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #46
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
Yessir! Wilwoods are the SHIT. Keep the updates coming!
This will be my first time using them, but I have heard great things about them and I'm looking forward to it. Updates you say? It's been a short minute, but I have something...

As usual, life happens and I've been busy with it. I've worked on the car here and there trying to cross things off the long "to do" list.

I took my R32 GTR seat and rear seats to get re-upholstered. They will match my Status bucket in charcoal suede. I had the guy make the center sections of the seats look as close to the bucket as possible. I need to pull my door cards to get them over there as well.

Anyway moving on, I've been wanting to add some shrouding around my oil cooler to direct air through it, rather than letting air run all around it. As you can see in the pictures below, it sits behind my grill inlet. This seemed like the most logical place to put it so it has a constant source of fresh, cool air, rather than behind the intercooler and getting sloppy seconds. I finished the shrouding up last week after a lot of designing, drawing, redesigning and such. I have yet to test for hood latch clearance, but since I'll be running an aerocatch setup, it won't hurt my feelings if I have to cut the latch off.

I finally recieved the rest of my parts to finish the oil catch can setup. I'm using an exhaust venturi to pull vacuum on the entire system. I got that welded into my downpipe and the necessary fittings organized and together to finalize it. I just need to crawl under the car and hook it up.

As stated in my last post I've been working on the relocation of the engine bay fuse box and all the associated fun with that. I finalized the location of the box this past week. I really didn't want to reinvent the wheel and completely redo the entire harness. Everything worked the way it was from the factory so, I'm going to keep it as is. I'll just lengthen some wiring here and there to have it terminate in it's original fashion. I like where it ended up, hidden and out of the way.

I don't use the jack that came with the car nor do I have a spare in it, so I utilized the factory bracket that held the jack to help hold the box. I hacked the bottom portion of the fuse box off and used a piece of scrap aluminum we have at the shop to rivet to it. Then I mocked everything up, marked, clamped, cut and viola! Wiring will recommence soon.

Mounted up and hidden....

I still have a lot of work left to do. As always I'll update as often as possible. I travel at times for work so I'm not always getting things done. Thanks for looking.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #47
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Very nice work
What model of KW coilovers do you use and how do they perform?
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #48
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

CaBS is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice work man, some serious hours in that!

SXDevelopments on Facebook
CaBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #49
Project_Mayhem10

Project_Mayhem10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Clean work, I'm impressed. I wish that I had the time to start a new project. Reading on here keeps me from doing so though.
Project_Mayhem10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #50
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
Very nice work
What model of KW coilovers do you use and how do they perform?
The KW's are the V3 version. I'm running Tein front camber plates and the factory rear top hats. Overall impressions on the street, very comfortable to cruise on. I never stiffened them up to see how they respond but I can only imagine they'll be great. I plan on putting some time in on a legit track once the car is finished up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_Mayhem10 View Post
Clean work, I'm impressed. I wish that I had the time to start a new project. Reading on here keeps me from doing so though.
I never imagined putting this much time into a build. I had some things that needed to be taken care of and it slowly progressed into this. Thank you for the compliments.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #51
jr_ss
Post Whore!

***** I ordered some braided nylon expandable wire sleeving and adhesive heat shrink to finish my fuse box relocation. I'm hoping it'll be here this week so I have something to work on. Anyway, on to the updates.******

So, I finally completed my catch can setup. For those that haven't been paying attention, I'm using an exhaust venturi to create vacuum in the system. Once I had the check valve mocked up along with the fittings, I could cut and assemble the line. I used some thermal sheathing to help prevent the line from being destroyed from the heat.

I had been fighting with myself for sometime on where to locate my FPR. I wanted to mount it in an easily accessible location for obvious reasons, but I couldn't invision how the lines would terminate to it where I wanted it. So while I was just tossing around ideas I found my final mounting location. I utilized the inside lip of my shakitto plate and with some scrap aluminum I had laying around, I created a bracket and had it mounted in a night. I have my fuel filter running up the inside of the passenger frame rail where I can get to it if I need to clean it. I'm missing one fitting from the rail to the regulator and I'll have the fuel system completed.

This evening I started making my cold charge pipe(from IC to TB). I'm using 2.75" SS piping that is unpolished. Once I have the pipe completely welded up, I'll polish it, but for the time being it is what it is. I'll need to do something like pie cutting to get a tighter radius on the piece that 90's down from the TB. I really am against pie cutting, but am very limited to what I can do with it. I've been trying to find a 2.75" x 3.5" reducing 90 hose coupler, but I've come up short in my searches. In the second picture you'll get an idea of how tight the turn needs to be.

******* As usual, thanks for looking, I'll do my best to keep the updates coming.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #52
Maikeru5
Leaky Injector

Maikeru5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man, this is a badass build. Can't wait to see it finished.
Maikeru5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #53
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
I love the engine bay color, and I am not a guy that favors the color red but you pulled it off with flair.

Props, Kudos, and all other great things to say about this build!

my only question is, why did you opt to mount the oil filter upside down ? I understand to hide the lines a little but would it work to run along the frame rail and have it underneath and the lines just slightly above the rail ? less mess during a oil change and still hidden enough ?
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #54
Twinkies!
Zilvia Junkie

Twinkies! is an unknown quantity at this point
amazing attention to detail, the cleanses bay I've seen
Twinkies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #55
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies! View Post
amazing attention to detail, the cleanses bay I've seen
Couldnt have said it any better, it's alot cleaner then most but still gets the job done.
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #56
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
i know of a few people here in australia using the mazworx plenums and had problems with them cracking so i would highly recommend bracing it before fitting it up

i much prefer the hypertune ve inlet plenum chamber

STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #57
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Who wouldn't love the Hyper tune, It's just for the price of one you can buy 2 Mazworxs manifolds lol.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #58
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

whats the price of the mazworx plenum worth ? i thought they were roughly the same price
Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #59
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
They cost $1,095.00 USD

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #60
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

its not that much different
but then again u guys have to pay for shipping from australia where as i have to pay shipping from the U.S