Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Project z31 Z432 N/A RB swap

Hello everyone. New member but long time project car builder. I started with Nissan having owned a few Maxima’s and pathfinders early on in my driving. The first real project was an S14 Silvia conversion I did back in 02-03 with a good friend of mine. Then I switched to BMW which has been my main focus for the last 10 years other than the 72 510 I also built.

For the last few years, I have been bitten by the Z31 bug. Which is quite odd considering that I used to despise them. My dad is a huge Z fanatic and owns 5 immaculate S30 240z’s and a non turbo Z32 300zx. I had always wanted to join the Z family with him but the S30’s are just too pricey and I never really got into the Z32 much. I started realistically searching for Z31’s about 2 years ago and got serious late last year.

My original goal was to build an L28 monster 3.2L. But I quickly realized I would have at least $15k in the engine I wanted to build. I started to think about RB’s instead and took a trip to see my friends at Japan Parts Service. They didn’t have any RBTT’s but they did happen to have an RB25de with magnificent looking equal length long tube headers. It was at that moment I had the vision for my final car.

Even without a car, I purchased the RB25de, RB26 valve/coil covers, a Z31 5 speed and an RB bell housing on the spot from Japan Parts Service. I then started to source out all the parts for the build.

Raw Brokerage has been my biggest source of parts thus far. I picked up a brand new Nissan RB26dett head, Tomei 272 10.25 cams, Tomei solid lifters, Tomei berrylium copper valve seal rings, Supertech +1 intake and exhaust valves, Supertech guides, Supertech 243lb dual valve springs with seats, seals and Ti retainers. I also got a set of used RB26 ITB’s which I am sending out to EFI hardware to get opened up from 45mm to 49mm. Ordered an RB Z31 oil pan from Enjuku racing.

My machinist currently has the head and all Tomei gaskets. He is going to clearance the head for the big cams, weld material in the combustion chamber to reshape and unshroud the valves as well as a port and polish. All on the flow bench. He will also port the intake plenum to match the enlarged throttle bodies. The RB25 block will be bored to 87mm and I will be using a Nitto forged stroker crank, light weight H beam rods and custom made high compression 11.2:1 pistons. With stand alone, the goal is 300 RWHP with 10k redline.

I had been daily searching for a car and was dead set on an 86 because I love the fenders of the 87-89 but hate the tail lights. About 10 months ago, I found my ideal car, an 86 auto standard spec with 56k miles. But the price was too high. The day they dropped the price by $2k, I jumped on it and had it shipped to me 2 days later. I have begun dismantling it and will strip it down to a bare shell with all glass out for a full re-spray to Nissan Safari gold 920. I will also be badging this car as a Z432 and purchased 3 NOS S30 fairlady Z emblems and was given an uber rare NOS Z432 emblem.

For the car itself, I bought 87-89 side skirts with brackets, 87-89 front bumper and hood, grey front windshield trim, new T tops with grey trim, new mirror seals and a new Shiro Special front spoiler. For the suspension etc, I purchased the mounts to allow me to install an S14 rear subframe into this car.

I will continue to update as I go and probably left some stuff out since I just joined but have been diligently working on acquiring parts for the last few months.

Lastly, if anyone wants an RB25de head, intake manifold and crank/rods/pistons cheap, let me know!

Last edited by RVAE34; 01-09-2018 at 05:50 PM..
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
I see it's fixed.

Last edited by RVAE34; 01-09-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Old 01-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #3
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Does anyone know why I cannot view my original post in here? When I hover over the title, I see some of the text but when I click on the thread, it's empty. It was approved by a mod and I would assume might take a bit to show up but I saw it once in full and have never experienced anything like this in any of the other forums I am a member of. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
Does anyone know why I cannot view my original post in here? When I hover over the title, I see some of the text but when I click on the thread, it's empty. It was approved by a mod and I would assume might take a bit to show up but I saw it once in full and have never experienced anything like this in any of the other forums I am a member of. Thanks in advance.
Thread approval system is working like it should, but the post approval is being wonky. You didn't do anything wrong.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
We can see it now! man that car looks like it was locked away in a shed. Cant wait to see this! Sub'd!
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks!! I've never been more excited about a project. Even more so than my LSx 427 swapped e39 touring that I sold in 2016 and my current supercharged s62 e38.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

I should also mention that I am on the hunt for an s14 rear subframe and it seems I am not yet able to post in classifieds.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Might need higher comp pistons to hit that 300whp mark i believe sung kangs car had 12.5:1 ratio pistons and it barely made 320BHP. Good luck, power to you to end up going NA RB route! At 10k might want to look at a Dry sump and a higher pressure oil pump tomei, greddy, etc. or even a accusump system.....
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

I talked with Raw Brokerage about that. I wanted to go 12:1 but I want to run pump gas. Might do a dual tune with stand alone. Apparently Fugu Z is still running the 2.6 crank and rods with high comp pistons and is tuned for CA using Greddy e-manage. But we will see. They seem to think I will hit a higher hp goal than he did. I know it's a stretch and previous experience has taught me that you almost never reach your original hp goals. Will definitely go with a high pressure pump but unlikely to go dry sump. I don't plan to hit 10k often and certainly not through hard turns.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #10
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dang dude, this is going to be sweet. Will be following for sure!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
Y0SH
Zilvia Junkie

Y0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the rough
This build has a lot of potential! Can’t wait to see where this goes.
Y0SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #12
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Sub'd for 80s awesomeness.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #13
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks, everyone!!

Clean underside.

I bought NOS T tops mostly because I want grey trim.

Was hoping the Z32 headlight might actually fit since the recess shape is the same but it's too big. Could probably make it work but it would likely look odd.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:56 AM   #14
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

I pulled one of the quarter windows. I talked with the guy doing paint/body and the plan is to ditch the trim by welding in more metal around the glass and using a stronger bonding agent to glue the glass back in. Which would look just like this rendering.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #15
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Shiro, baby!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #16
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A z31 with an n/a rb swap that so far looks clean, ha? Interedesting... Go on.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #17
FABCHILD

FABCHILD is an unknown quantity at this point
build looks rad
FABCHILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #18
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
my boner has risen!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #19
NextTimeJr

NextTimeJr is an unknown quantity at this point
Daily drive a 86’ in the summer months, same colour, 5 speed and the dreaded digital dash. Props for doing a build on one of these. Subbed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NextTimeJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #20
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks! Painter said no problem on the quarter windows. I plan to have it ready for him in 2-3 months. The guy who did the render also tried it in white and Datsun 104 Cactus green. Even though I am still 99% set on safari gold. It's just that my wife isn't a big fan. Even though she has accepted it.. To her, it's still urine or baby shit yellow lol.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #21
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just noticed, it shows no rear bumper on those drawings. What do you have planned for that?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #22
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

I liked it so much better in the rendering without a bumper that I plan to go with it and have the rear pan cleaned up and the holes welded. Then maybe a custom diffuser. We will see though. Need to see what it looks like in person without it.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:41 AM   #23
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

The little details that count. As much as I wanted to run a Tomei ornament plate, I just feel like the stock one will look better for my goal. More in line with the Z432 theme too.

I also went ahead and ordered a CF JDM style front spoiler yesterday as well since I really am torn on which I like better. Kind of silly to order both but I will see which one I like better in person and verify fitment then sell whichever I don't use. I got the last Shiro from JDM parts so didn't want to risk having that sold.

I was amazed to find that Nissan still carries the windshield trim holder piece that goes around the perimeter and new clips. This will make me feel much better about pulling the front windshield. Trying to determine if the rear has one but I don't think it does. I plan on getting the VIS carbon fiber rear hatch and hood. Curious to get some of yalls thoughts on their stuff. I had a CF hood on my S14 back in 03 and it was pretty nice but that was 15 years ago!

Old 01-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #24
Smurf_240SX
Zilvia Addict

Smurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to Smurf_240SX
always liked z31's, this looks like its going to be an amazing build. Cant wait to see more.

FS OEM RB25 PARTS
Smurf_240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #25
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks!

Here are a few notable past builds.

My first one that I started in 2002. 95 S14. Bought a JDM clip. It was my first real build. Yes, I know the side skirts are on backwards at the end lol.

Then the Datsun 510 with Rebello L20, Troy Ermish coilovers, Nismo headers, 2000 roadster 5 speed, Panasports etc.

Next, BMW E34 with M52 engine swap, S52 head and Garret GT3076R turbo.

Then came the LSx 427 swapped BMW E39 touring with T56 Tremec Magnum, M5 diff with 4 clutch, 4 wheel Brembo GT BBK and Fortune Auto coilovers. This thing was a monster.

Sold that to build my current BMW which is a 40k mile 2001 BMW 740 M sport with a fresh built E39 M5 V8 and ESS supercharger, front BBK, M5 diff with 4 clutch and custom dyed interior. BC Forged HB04 wheels.

I also currently have a 95 Nissan D21 XE V6 that I did an 87 pathfinder front end, door handle and mirror conversion with Toyota Stealth Custom Series F5 wheels that I had to install longer Nismo studs and hub centric rings to fit and Toyo Open Country tires. Also added a roll bar.

E34

E39

Nissan

Old 01-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #26
Smurf_240SX
Zilvia Addict

Smurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to Smurf_240SX
Man that little Datsun looks so good!!!

FS OEM RB25 PARTS
Smurf_240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #27
midnight zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
midnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thats crazy that you did that 7 Series, I remember reading about that and being in awe of the level of execution. This shit just got real
midnight zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #28
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
That 510 is the tits.

lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #29
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hey man love the build, let me know if you need any parts! I am a sales rep at MSA

theZstore.com

x202
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #30
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf_240SX View Post
Man that little Datsun looks so good!!!
Thanks! I miss that car. Still have the chance to buy it back but feel it's best to keep moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight zenki View Post
Thats crazy that you did that 7 Series, I remember reading about that and being in awe of the level of execution. This shit just got real
Thank you! I actually farmed much of that build out to friends because I felt the family was sick of me being in the garage all the time. Kind of back to being in the garage often but at least my son is 5 and starting to really get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
That 510 is the tits.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31andrew View Post
Hey man love the build, let me know if you need any parts! I am a sales rep at MSA

theZstore.com

x202
Now you tell me!! lol. I just bought the JDM CF front spoiler because I like it better than the Shiro.