Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #1
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Alternate a/c compressor solutions for sr20

In the process of revamping my ac system. Currently have brand new lines, drier and expansion valve from Nissan, can’t buy a new condenser anymore. Debating whether to flush my current condenser or just buy a new generic condenser and have lines made/adjusted. Only issue I’m running into is what a/c compressor to go with. If it matters, I have a 180sx with the same redtop sr, ac went out a couple years ago. Kept popping the ac fuse by the driver side kick panel. Never figured out the issue.

Has anyone tried other Nissan a/c compressors?

Went to autozone last week and a 2000 maxima compressor lines up with the holes on the redtop bracket but the pulley alignment looked off a little. It’s also a 6 groove pulley vs the stock 4 groove. I don’t really want to buy a reman compressor if possible.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
k00laid83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would love to find out about this as well. I've researched for a while now and I've made lines and still have my blacktop compressor. The only this is I have never tried to get installed in my car. Maybe someone has done it and can give out some information.
k00laid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
i have an SR compressor if you want it... ill let it go for $200 shipped. it was pulled from a working SR some 9 years ago. i purchased it from a member on Zilvia, never installed it. has been sitting in my garage ever since.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
i have an SR compressor if you want it... ill let it go for $200 shipped. it was pulled from a working SR some 9 years ago. i purchased it from a member on Zilvia, never installed it. has been sitting in my garage ever since.
I am not sure that's what he is asking........
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
I am not sure that's what he is asking........
just throwing it out there... i forget i have the silly thing most of the time. if he wants it, its there for him. SR compressors arent easy to find anymore

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Gonna have to pass. No way to determine if the compressor will last.

On topic, did some research and from what I’m seeing the s13 ka compressor will bolt up using the front two bolts and belts be lined up perfectly. Using that information I cross reference the mounting distance off rockauto to match another compressor from a 2000 Nissan Frontier, this is also a 4 groove pulley but the pulley has a slightly bigger diameter.

The pulley diameter and port closest to the pulley are my concerns as of now.

Edit: Decided to go ahead a purchase the compressor and lines. Should be here by this weekend.

If all fits good, I can get the lines made asap.

Last edited by xpinoyxmk; 08-21-2018 at 05:28 PM..
Old 08-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
rellik27
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
rellik27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
When I swapped my s14 sr into my s13, I just unbolted the compressor from the ka and put it to the side. Then when s14 sr engine was in I bolted it on and yea I think it was 2 bolts don't remember. I Didn't discharge the ac or anything, everything worked great for 2 years and the person I sold it to, has not has not had a problem since.
rellik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Quick update.

Received the compressor and she fits! All bolts line up and pulley appears aligned.

Some pics below. Note that the tension pulley is loose.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
Abeo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Abeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm getting my AC set up with a S15 compressor, which turns out is the same body as a 2001 sentra sr20 but different pulley. I haven't done any junkyard measuring to see what pulley setup can be used, but I'm pretty sure that a RWD pulley will work. I'm making lines from the S15 and my old S13 lines, so not a bolt-in affair... but fairly simple after I had figured out the little parts.
Lots of people in my area have S15's (and lots were getting 2JZ's), so it's a matter of what was available.
Abeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #10
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
that's awesome, fab work with welding a/c lines shouldn't be an issue as the maxima lines are available from autozone or the junkyard! I may recommend some fab work to my buddy who as been asking about getting this to work in my swapped fc too!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #11
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Is your car an r134a car? Because switching r12 cars to r134a doesn't cool as well as it should unless you upgrade the rest of the system.
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:14 AM   #12
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
cool thread. I kept my 95 ka compressor when i went with a 98 s14 sr20 and i used the codyace bracket.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpinoyxmk View Post
On topic, did some research and from what I’m seeing the s13 ka compressor will bolt up using the front two bolts and belts be lined up perfectly. Using that information I cross reference the mounting distance off rockauto to match another compressor from a 2000 Nissan Frontier, this is also a 4 groove pulley but the pulley has a slightly bigger diameter.
Can you provide more info on the compressor used? Was it a V6 Frontier or 4 cylinder? Part number? Did the KA ac lines match up to it or do you need custom made ac lines now?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #14
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
Is your car an r134a car? Because switching r12 cars to r134a doesn't cool as well as it should unless you upgrade the rest of the system.

I don't think there are r12 and r134a specific parts for these cars.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Well that stinks then.

My logic tells me there has to be though since they made s chassis cars until the 2000's. R134 cars run at different pressures, require bigger fans, better condensor etc, so I doubt they're all still rocking old r12 parts. (unless the parts work for both, which you would suck) I wonder if anyone sells parallel flow condensers for these cars? This is why I bought a couple of cans of r12 incase the silvia's ac ever messes up I can just fix the leak and fill it with the right amount of r12.
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #16
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
https://www.vintageair.com/builder-series/

May have parts and pieces, depending on how serious you get.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #17
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
that's awesome, fab work with welding a/c lines shouldn't be an issue as the maxima lines are available from autozone or the junkyard! I may recommend some fab work to my buddy who as been asking about getting this to work in my swapped fc too!
Tig welding the tubing should be good yea? When researching, some people stated the r134 could seep through over time but other were saying as long as the weld job is good, it shouldn’t leak. As it’s looking, I’ll probably have to do the welding as no one around me does brazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
Originally r12. Too my knowledge, just need to flush the system completely/replace anything you can’t flush and switch all o-rings to r134 specific ones, both of which I have already done. I actually recommend flushing if possible, the crap that came of out my condenser and evaporator was surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Can you provide more info on the compressor used? Was it a V6 Frontier or 4 cylinder? Part number? Did the KA ac lines match up to it or do you need custom made ac lines now?
Sure. All parts were ordered from Rockauto. The frontier and xterra use the same compressor I believe from 99-02, v6 btw. The lines I bought are from the frontier as well.

Four Seasons 68428 - Compressor
Four Seasons 56132 (low) and 55089 (high) - For the fittings on the ac compressor
Old 08-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #18
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpinoyxmk View Post
Sure. All parts were ordered from Rockauto. The frontier and xterra use the same compressor I believe from 99-02, v6 btw. The lines I bought are from the frontier as well.

Four Seasons 68428 - Compressor
Four Seasons 56132 (low) and 55089 (high) - For the fittings on the ac compressor
Just wanted to help the thread with that information. Good work.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:29 PM   #19
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Quick update for anyone wanting ac during this hot ass summer.

Yesterday I got the lines made, bolted everything back in, vacuumed, added 5oz of pag 100 and charged the system with 24oz of r134. My car was in the shade and from my little rc temp gauge, the air temp was blowing in the mid 40s. Today, I started the car after it had been sitting in the sun all day. Inside temp was 100+ (Black car/black interior) and after running for about 5 minutes, the temp blowing out the vents was low 60s. My 17’ F150 was blowing the same fyi.

My low side ended up between 35-40 and high side was around 175-185. Outside temp at a little above 80 degrees at the time. As far as I researched, I am good to go. Can anyone here confirm this?
Old 02-21-2021, 05:10 AM   #20
Low180

Low180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this still working for you? I'm in Aus and am looking at doi g the same. But just wanna check before I order all the parts from America

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Low180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:39 PM   #21
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Little update for those that need ac like me.

Had a tiny pinhole leak in one of the welds on the line that runs from the firewall to the compressor. Not sure how I didn't notice it for so long. Had the weld redone, recharged the system and its been blowing cold for almost 2 months now.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:42 PM   #22
levelgx
Leaky Injector

levelgx is an unknown quantity at this point
great work!

Thanks for doing this research! I was about to fab up a bracket to use a 350z compressor. Hows it holding up?
Old 08-23-2022, 06:56 PM   #23
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelgx View Post
Thanks for doing this research! I was about to fab up a bracket to use a 350z compressor. Hows it holding up?
Still blowing very cold
Old 08-24-2022, 08:46 AM   #24
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low180 View Post
Is this still working for you? I'm in Aus and am looking at doi g the same. But just wanna check before I order all the parts from America

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
You should be able to use similar parts from a local model? Frontier is what we call the D22 Nissan/Datsun ute. The model they're using had a VG33E.

Wait, didn't you have an S14 or S15 200SX sold straight from the factory? That should be all you need, or are those parts discontinued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90
Just correcting a common error: there are R134a-specific S13 parts for the US. May 1993 and later built S13 240SXs ('94 verts and a few late '93 hatches, including mine, as far as I can tell) have a completely different A/C system. I don't know if the evaporator and condenser are actually different in terms of flow/specs but they have different part numbers. The compressor looks like an S14 KA compressor and of course all the fittings are R134a.

I think '94-up 180SXs are R134a, also, not sure when Japan phased it in for the home market.
AKADriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:54 PM   #25
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A little relevant, but I was able to find a universal condenser that fits the S13 for the people that need that part of this puzzle

Vintage Air 03701-OVA

Just posted a little write up in my thread for anyone interested in how I mounted it:

https://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=37
Old 09-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #26
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Safe bet this works on KADEs as well?
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:54 PM   #27
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Do you think you could post photos of your setup? I curious to see how the lines route and look.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:38 PM   #28
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
Do you think you could post photos of your setup? I curious to see how the lines route and look.

The lines still have their OEM routing and positions; they just terminate to the universal condenser's new fittings
Old 09-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #29
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I recently just purchased a R134a from a low mileage car. I'm getting very close to finishing 2D drawings for this. Need to get the side brackets done and then the side,top views and dimension it out. Will dimension the side brackets and metal bases as well. It will be pretty in depth.

Do you guys think with the dimensions we could maybe find someone who can make these? I'm not too familiar with the process but I would think it would not be outrageously expensive since its fins and bends of lines? Was just wondering you guys think? Around 300-500 per condenser maybe? Would be nice if it was lower but I dont think that will happen.

Vintage Air will make hardlines for you if given the dimensions so I was planning on remaking the 240sx oem A/C hardlines from the condenser to the drier and condenser to the compressor with the possibility of using a different compressor than the KA one.

I'm hoping someone on here will chime in as I do not want to resort to asking these questions on facebook or reddit. Realizing at this point those places are useless
Old 10-01-2022, 02:24 PM   #30
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Making new custom parallel flow condensers (supposed to be more efficient) is a thing that can be done. This particular shop doesn't offer the service anymore but they did, and it landed right in your price ballpark:

https://www.originalair.com/custom-p...ce-17-condd-ca

S14 OEM condensers were already parallel flow style. If it is more efficient, then I'd expect a slightly smaller universal one like DEGUZZI used should be OK.

I also wonder about the R32 OEM condenser 92110-04U02. It's been re-issued as part of the heritage parts program and seems to have the same dimensions as the S13 condenser, the upper connection is in the same place, but the lower connection is moved to the other side along with a bracket to mount the receiver/dryer in front.
AKADriver is online now   Reply With Quote