Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #1
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OEM oil filter differences?

Looking at the KA/RB/CA/VG part numbers.

If you go to your local Nissan dealer they'll hand you a 15208-55Y0A. I've also seen -55Y00 which, given Nissan part numbers, is probably just old stock/a previous supplier.

However I also see sellers with 15208-H890C selling at a massive markup ($20+ vs. $6-8 for the 55Y0A) presumably because it's shipped direct from Japan. This is usually advertised as the "RB26DETT GT-R" filter, but the Nissan parts book again lists it as compatible with a long list of KA, RB, CA, GA, even Z-series powered vehicles.

Exterior can dimensions look identical, do the internal specs differ? eg bypass/no bypass, drainback valve/no valve? I can't imagine the construction quality of the H890C really exceeds a premium aftermarket filter like Mobil1, RP, etc. to justify the cost (beyond being factory correct and having "oil filter" written in Katakana). The -55Y0A filters say Made In Japan on them.

My recently purchased engine came with a -55Y0A that I can't use because it got smashed in shipping, I'll cut it open BITOG style and update the thread. Anyone have a used -H890C to sacrifice?

For grins, this filter also cross-references with the Subaru EA engines, whose factory part number is bizarrely similar: 15208AA001
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2022, 08:16 AM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here for the BITOG content, even though I can't keep up with their oil filter opinions anymore.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:05 AM   #3
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
So looking at Nissan parts website, the -55Y0A is the updated part number. It supersedes (replaces) a bunch of older part numbers including -55Y0x, -H890x, and -H891x.

My guess is those -H890C filters are a pile of new old stock and are getting the "GTR tax" markup.

For Nissan filters, the differences are outer diameter, thread pitch, and body length. So as long as whatever filter fits and seals, you can run it.

For example, the -65F0E (replaces -65F00) and the -9E01A (replaces -9E000) have the same diameter and thread pitch with the only difference being that the -9E0 is 3/4" longer than the -65F. Running the longer -9E0 filter is pretty common on a 350Z, and probably any other car that takes the -65F filter, which is pretty much almost every Nissan engine since the 00s. The -9E0 is used on V8s if you wanted to cross reference an aftermarket filter.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
For Nissan filters, the differences are outer diameter, thread pitch, and body length. So as long as whatever filter fits and seals, you can run it.
Its interesting this isn't more widely spread automotive knowledge. I actually run a filter on my KA that cross references to a bunch of euro cars. Its about 2X the size as stock, and has "updated" oil filter "technology" as opposed to 80's Nissan stuff.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:56 AM   #5
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Its interesting this isn't more widely spread automotive knowledge. I actually run a filter on my KA that cross references to a bunch of euro cars. Its about 2X the size as stock, and has "updated" oil filter "technology" as opposed to 80's Nissan stuff.
Kind of off topic, but some other gee-wiz Nissan knowledge is that the part numbers generally include the chassis the part was originally designed for, with the first digits being the part itself. So all Nissan oil filters will begin with 15208-, ECUs with 23710-, MAF with 22680-, etc. You'll notice that a bunch of 350Z parts include 'CD0' in the part number. Well '65F' was used for the early S14 models. So basically almost every modern Nissan I4 and V6 is using an oil filter originally designed for the SR20DET.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:45 PM   #6
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Alright, it's teardown time.

Simple design. Leaf spring. Silicone drainback valve, no bypass. The filter material measures out to 75mm tall x 48 pleats and each pleat is 20mm deep (x2) so it's about 144000 square mm of filter material. No plastic or paper in the construction at all. Overall, it looks like a great filter, as you'd expect for Japanese made OEM. Well worth the current $8 or so. EDIT: Just bought four more of these at $5.79 from Hart Nissan of NOVA. For that price this filter is a steal.

Last edited by AKADriver; 04-23-2022 at 05:29 PM..
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote