Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
modulation
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
modulation is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PDM Control Arms Ball Joint ?

Along time ago PDM sold complete lower control arms for the S13.
I had them on for 8 years, and the ball joint went bad.
I pressed out the ball joint, and bought a new S13 one..

Guess what? It doesn't fit. The PDM racing arms use some different (not S13 or S14 or 200sx or sentra that I can find) ball joint.

Anyone have any idea what ball joint they use? If not I guess I'll buy used OEM ones so I don't have to go through this again...
modulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I remember them selling conversion arms that were just reconditioned S13 OEM arms with an S14 ball joint (to use with S14 knuckles, that have a larger taper). Are these tubular style or OEM style arms? Are you using S13 knuckles?

Can you measure the ID of the hole in the LCA?
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:11 PM   #3
modulation
Zilvia Member

They aren't OEM that is for sure I found someone else complaining they wanted to put S14 ball joints in the PDM control arms to upgrade to S14 knuckles and the S14 ball joints wouldn't fit either..
It's on another forum you can google "Personally I wouldn't waste my time with them again." to find the thread. I'm using S13 knuckles. They are "OEM" style not tubular.

As far as measurement goes I only have a 2" dial gauge, and only C type micrometers. No accurate way to measure it down to the hundredths.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy some used OEM S13 FCA from ebay. It's easy to tell the difference by the bushings. Looking there is another PDM like pair for sale now without the ball joints so someone else probably ran into my same problem..
Old 08-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #4
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
If the PDM arms were just OEM style replacements, why don't you just order some new MOOG arms from a place like rock auto? $30 for the whole arm with new bushings, which oddly is how much they have just the ball joint listed for also. Heck, they even have economy grade parts for half the price.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:08 AM   #5
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
, why don't you just order some new MOOG arms from a place like rock auto? $30 for the whole arm with new bushings
This. I did this a year ago. Bought brand new control arms, and S14 ball joints to run with my S14 knuckles. Was a no brainer.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #6
modulation
Zilvia Member

Yeah that's what I ended up doing but from NAPA. $40 per arm next day.