Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Lilman0128
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Lilman0128 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Driving tips

A little background info, I been having my s14 for around 6 months, my dream vehicle since I was 11, but honestly I never gone out to drift with it or with any other car for that fact ever. Do you guys have any tips for a beginner? We all started as beginners so keep your unhelpful comments about noob drifters to yourself ty By the way im stock ka. Thanks.
Lilman0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
OgSilviaSkywalker
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
OgSilviaSkywalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
def. no streets! stick to big parking lots for now.
OgSilviaSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
head out to Willow springs, they offer track/drift event ever so often. check regional section for more info.
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin562 View Post
head out to Willow springs, they offer track/drift event ever so often. check regional section for more info.
THIS.

and we also already have a thread for this....in this same section.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Hellother
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Hellother is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
next time your in vegas go to Udrift. 50 bucks gets you in their cars (welded, cheap coils, no worries about crashing your dream car, and wide open space) , and some instruction (you'll prolly need it) plus your in Vegas..
Is there mud and or oil involved?
Hellother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
thescorpion

thescorpion is an unknown quantity at this point
check out drift bible on youtube

good info; check it out
thescorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Karlitos
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
Karlitos is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
THIS.

and we also already have a thread for this....in this same section.

x2... Bonus points for getting fckillerbee to do ride alongs with you. He know his s14's and stock ka's well around balcony.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescorpion View Post
check out drift bible on youtube

good info; check it out
I'm not sure if i'd agree that drift bible is a good tutorial.
Perhaps I just have a different methodology, but I have found ti easier to learn the track by grip driving it first. Not only will a driver get the muscle memory of the maximum Gs that car/tire combo will exert but he/she will become familiar with the track. From there, its just a matter of giving it a little extra gas at the apex until the driver gets comfortable controling the car with a loose rear. From there the driver will start to learn to get side ways sooner before the apex, making it a real drift.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Dima1127
Leaky Injector

Dima1127 is an unknown quantity at this point
i learned to drift in big parking lots and behind stores is good. some big store have that big 90 degree turn, thats perfect learn there preferable find a store with asphalt (black) in the back not just concrete, it will be harder to slide on concrete, asphalt is smoother.
im not good at drift so i cant tell you much but hope it helped. you can pm me if you got any questions.
Dima1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Good info so far. I'd say....

1. Drive. Reading info and watching video is neat, but it doesn't put you in the driver's seat.

2. Have fun. Don't worry if you don't get the hang of it right away. Keep practicing and you will progress. It becomes quite simple, actually.

3. Let the car do most of the work. You really don't have to do much to drift. The car will work itself out more or less.

4. Look cool. What else is the point????
Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Go to events, especially skid pad events with simple courses, and just drive. Ask for advice from the event organizers and your fellow drivers, most of them will help you without hassle.

Also, video tape yourself while driving. Over the shoulder is best because you can see your handwork, foot work and shifting. Analyze that footage and see what you can improve upon,
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #12
Frederick1

Frederick1 is an unknown quantity at this point
The drifting a great job. But not for all. I am crazy to learn how to drift. I want to learn it without any school. because in the school all the restrictions and rules I don't want to stuck in all those kind of stuff. So any one have some short and clear tips for me. Drifting is my all time dream form when I am only 13 but once make a accident with my dad's car and after that my father banned driving for me. now the punishment period is over and I want to learn the drifting and if took admission in any school for drifting I am sure I have to face again that punishment. So share the tips which you know.

Last edited by Frederick1; 09-08-2012 at 04:58 AM..
Frederick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #13
karl wasabi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
karl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to karl wasabi
http://zilvia.net/f/motorsports-skil...ques-form.html

End thread...
karl wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
s13-LBC-562
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
s13-LBC-562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
e brake and parking lots is the easy way to drive
s13-LBC-562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Mofuhcka
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Mofuhcka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima1127 View Post
i learned to drift in big parking lots and behind stores is good. some big store have that big 90 degree turn, thats perfect learn there preferable find a store with asphalt (black) in the back not just concrete, it will be harder to slide on concrete, asphalt is smoother.
im not good at drift so i cant tell you much but hope it helped. you can pm me if you got any questions.
Im with this, the Raleys down the street from me has a FAT turn for the huge big rigs, plus that asphalt is prime, especially after it rains.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
StormTrooperS13

StormTrooperS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
video tape yourself while driving. Over the shoulder is best because you can see your handwork, foot work and shifting. Analyze that footage and see what you can improve upon,
Video taping yourself is probably the best technique I myself have invested in, the only way to better yourself is to see your faults from a different perspective. Though I'm one engine away from completing my S13 build I have brought sideways my truck (a 91 F-150 5.8liter) on the dirt. keeping safe and starting into a turn slower and gradually picking up speed to keep your back end from facing front is the best way I learned. Good luck man and stay safe
StormTrooperS13 is offline   Reply With Quote