Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
SCRmotorsports

Trader Rating: (0)
SCRmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Huge intercooler s13 pop ups dont fit, headlight ideas?

so ive been peicing this car togeather slowly, got the intercooler super cheap i knew the light motors wouldent fit but after its on there know way il be able to even fit the pop up assemly back on. my question is what fog light, projector lights or anything have any of you used or seen/heard used for something like this. i cant afford the supremades or any of the aftermarket light housings so diy is the only way. any opinions would be great. im gonna cut the light covers to fit the hood line thats all i know as of know so there not alot of room
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Japan180SX.jpg (436.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP5933.JPG (334.8 KB, 155 views)
SCRmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Err ... get an intercooler that fits ? Change the output position ?

What kind of engine do you even have to need an intercooler that big ?

And stop being cheap, or get a honda.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
^^Agreed^^

I wouldn't cut anything if I were you... Even cheaper Ebay IC kits THAT FIT will likely be less expensive in the long run than DIY-ing a decent set of non-popup lights in...

Also, if your budget is that tight, maybe you should put the car back to stock form and enjoy it until finances are better.

I recommend you save your money until you can afford to do it RIGHT... Or like he said; buy a Honda.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
you can substitute for fixed aftermarket halo headlights for pretty cheap. You save a lot of weight and they don't take up any space below the headlight itself. I bought a set but have yet to install them so I can't offer any opinions. I can't seem to find a link for the ones I bought but never installed.

chaser aero sells the housing only without lights. This would use a Piaa 1100x style x4

bought here: Headlight Housings | S13 [CL-S13(CF)] - $299.00 : Chaser Aerodynamics, LLC.

The east bear setup is too expensive in my opinion.

I have used both Piaa 1100x and Catz MSX driving lights as headlights before and they did fine.
Seraphim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
you can substitute for fixed aftermarket halo headlights for pretty cheap. You save a lot of weight and they don't take up any space below the headlight itself. I bought a set but have yet to install them so I can't offer any opinions. I can't seem to find a link for the ones I bought but never installed.

chaser aero sells the housing only without lights. This would use a Piaa 1100x style x4

bought here: Headlight Housings | S13 [CL-S13(CF)] - $299.00 : Chaser Aerodynamics, LLC.

The east bear setup is too expensive in my opinion.

I have used both Piaa 1100x and Catz MSX driving lights as headlights before and they did fine.
These things have 3 problems :
1/ they clearly are not road legal; but unlike engine mods, these can be seen miles away and will get you pulled all the time.
2/ they are expensive, and the OP is on a budget.
3/ they dont work. If you expect to see something at night, dont get these. but then, if you dont care about night vision, just ditch the headlights, dont spend 300$ on housings + another 100$ on bulbs and wiring.

@OP get an ebay FMIC. Problem solved for less than buying new headlights that dont work.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
OutToWinPAHC
Zilvia Addict

OutToWinPAHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
Are you going for peak pressure drop across the intercooler, please tell us why you need that
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
baube
Leaky Injector

baube is an unknown quantity at this point
just remove the pop-up motor and make a fixed bracket so they will be always up
baube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Seriously, no one needs an intercooler that big. Unless he plans on fitting a 6L V8 with 2bar turbocharging that is, but again this is supposed to be a budget build.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
motteramm
Leaky Injector

motteramm is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a smaller intercooler....... da fuq? All that massive one will do is give you loads of lag..
Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
SCRmotorsports

im not buying a smaller intercooler. i get that it huge and lag and blahblah, this is about lights, the frame is already notched a boxed back in. and yes it the perfect size for a v8. its for a mustang. my chrage pipe is 2.5in and i have a tiny turbo im not worried about lag. also my charge pipe will litterly be 1.5ft-2ft long and my intake pipe from the intercooler is maybe 16in added to my injen intake so really i shouldent have much of lag problem. anyone used those ebay ones? i just think there fugly. and any lights its better than what i had. i had no hi beams, and 1 light with low voltage somehow and i drove it for almost a year like that. anyone seen a projector set up inside there? and cops around here dont do shit, they wont pull me over when there 20 honda boys with HIDs runnin around. oh and i have a honda! but fwd sucks! only have it for winter
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
OutToWinPAHC
Zilvia Addict

OutToWinPAHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
I just noticed it's not even a divided core same side, so path of least resistance is in up and out so optimal cooling may not even be had on this.
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRmotorsports View Post
im not buying a smaller intercooler. i get that it huge and lag and blahblah, this is about lights, the frame is already notched a boxed back in. and yes it the perfect size for a v8. its for a mustang. my chrage pipe is 2.5in and i have a tiny turbo im not worried about lag. also my charge pipe will litterly be 1.5ft-2ft long and my intake pipe from the intercooler is maybe 16in added to my injen intake so really i shouldent have much of lag problem. anyone used those ebay ones? i just think there fugly. and any lights its better than what i had. i had no hi beams, and 1 light with low voltage somehow and i drove it for almost a year like that. anyone seen a projector set up inside there? and cops around here dont do shit, they wont pull me over when there 20 honda boys with HIDs runnin around. oh and i have a honda! but fwd sucks! only have it for winter
Well it appears you have it all figured out.

I'm not sure you understood the overarching message here, young man:

We understand this is about lights, not your IC... The issue is that it would be much cheaper for you to sell that monstrosity & get a cheap FMIC kit that is well-matched in terms of function & fitment than it will be to ghetto-rig yourself up some lights... Your priorities seem to be kinda reversed on this one. The Ebay kits look like any other kit on the market; they are just not brand name... and BTW they fit with no cutting/fab-work or extended 90-deg couplers needed. Then you will have more affordable options FOR LIGHTS.

You asked the question- Don't get upset because we didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. The choice is still yours as to how to proceed forward- That's all that matters. We're trying to help you out- If you don't like it, tough shit.

It's all good tho- I have very similar conversations with my 19 & 18yr olds on a regular They do however always seem to pop their heads out of their asses and come around- Hopefully you will too.

Best of luck~
Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
SCRmotorsports

i thought about it and il just save up i guess, im along ways from needing lights i just wanted some more ideas. and where i live theres no one to sell my intercooler to i live in a small town and it would be expsensive to ship. no one here has turbo cars i know 1 guy with a rx7 and 1 old supra thats it. and i cut the frame cause i wanted the intercooler to be as far back as possible plus i got to learn to weld. but thanks i guess!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
You can never have too large of an intercooler, BUT;

You should have pushed the radiator back and put it in front of that...

Also, that is a very crappy design in general and it must have dividers on the inside of the tank, otherwise it's not going to even work. It has soooo many bends...

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #15
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
i thought about it and il just save up i guess, im along ways from needing lights i just wanted some more ideas. and where i live theres no one to sell my intercooler to i live in a small town and it would be expsensive to ship. no one here has turbo cars i know 1 guy with a rx7 and 1 old supra thats it. and i cut the frame cause i wanted the intercooler to be as far back as possible plus i got to learn to weld. but thanks i guess!
Of course there is no one to sell your intercooler. It is not worth a dime ... there is a reason it was cheap

back to square 1, get a 250$ ebay jobbie that includes piping. Lighting problem solved, and future cooling problems solved too. Oh and 2.5" piping to turbocharge a V8 ? I must have read something wrong here. That is what i use on a 1.8L engine that sees 1.2bar boost.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #16
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I dont know why people keep repeating the same thing... "get a smaller intercooler", "get a smaller intercooler", "GET A SMALLER INTERCOOLER". I mean really? An obvious answer for an obvious problem? Say it ain't so.
EnemyS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
motteramm
Leaky Injector

motteramm is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I don't since for because pickle. -__-
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
SCRmotorsports

how do you close a thread or delete it? this can be deleted so it not on the 1st page everyday
Old 01-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Threads aren't generally deleted so any uselful info can be found by others at a later time- That's the whole point of forums lol

It will find its way off page one soon enough
Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
the inlet and outlet arent even divided....they go right into the same end tank. are you entirely sure you want to roll with that intercooler?
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #21
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
the inlet and outlet arent even divided....they go right into the same end tank. are you entirely sure you want to roll with that intercooler?
Not that I agree with his choice of intercooler, but whats to say it's not divided internally. The fact is we don't know and any assumptions written as a statement of fact are as ridiculous as the size of the intercooler. He obviously has no intention of listening, maybe out of pride or, possibly he knows what he's doing. I would like to see the finished product tho as would most people here, I'm sure.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #22
SCRmotorsports

honestly i dont know EXACTLY what im doing but i have an idea ive been reading alot on KA-t sence i got my s13 about a year ago,but ionly have the help of 1 friend whos built multiple turbo cars and 3 were s13/s14 and my dad whos grown up building chevys "not much help. key words are just throw a v8 in it" but thats for my coupe. anyway i showed my bud what i was doing and he looked at the intercooler, he thinks il be fine with it being that big, his sr20's intercooler is 2in longer and 1 taller and he says i shouldent have to much lag. im not worried its learning for me. and for those of you saying it enter and exits the same chambers, it doesnt. il make a build thread when im done so all can see. ive got along ways to go
Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
Akito86
Zilvia Junkie

Akito86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Might as well do a silvia brick headlight conversion!! Cheeaa!☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #24
SCRmotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito86 View Post
Might as well do a silvia brick headlight conversion!! Cheeaa!☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
already have tripple projectors and fenders and brackets. but im savin it for my ls coupe