Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
s13suckadrift
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
s13suckadrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RHDLS13 Pro AM/FD Build!!!

As of my knowledge I don't know anyone in TN with a rhd ls1
Ive been putting off making this build thread for a while now but ive got time tonight lol. Back in fall of last year i bought a rhd 240sx that has floated through this forums several times. It was my daily driver/drifter all the way up till the end of March of this year.

One night me and my dad got to talking about the car after going to his first drift event with me. He was so impressed with my friend Tyson's ls2 240sx and all the other v8 swapped cars up there that he was wanting build one with me.

Soooo i kinda offered my car as the sacrifice and decided to go in half and half with him to build a pro am/fd legal car. My buddy bought my sr20 i had in the car and so begings the project. I gutted the whole car to prepare for the car and took off the front radiator support for the tube front. We made a trip up to St. Louis a couple times to pick up my Origin Aero, random swap parts, and the donor car. The donor car was a totaled 98 Z28 Camaro with 106k miles. LS1 with T-56. After parting the car out i ended up picking up the engine for around 1700.

Shortly after getting back from St. Louis we decided to go ahead and start dropping the engine. 1.5 hours later we have this

So now begins the research and parts hunting and shortly into this i found it was going to be a little more difficult than i had planed. The problem with the ls1 in a rhd 240sx in the starter interferring with the steering rack.

I got kind of burnt out on the project for a bit i picked myself back up and got to work. I ended up going with the fueled racing front sump oil pan. IMO this was well worth the money because it doesn't require any crossmember modifications and has a nice quad baffle with trap doors.

I ended up going with a summit mini starter in order to help me with the clearance issues on the steering rack. It requied some grinding on the block and a modification to the CAS to extend the connector out. Through research this has been the best method to use. I picked up a 6-puck clutch from Tennessee Clutch in Nashville. The quality was great especially for the price.

After we reassembled everthing and beating the everlasting hell out of the transmission tunnel we decided it was time for the test fitment. Engine slipped in like butta but we realized it still had some issue that needed to be taken care of. The starter was still too close to the steering rack and was hitting when turning the wheel. The sway bar was way to close to the oil pan. Fortunately i had a plan for these.

Ordered more random parts in order get the swap done. Header kit, radiator, etc... With the Rhd one of the issues is the clutch master cylinder hits the back of the head. I ended up having to go with reverse swing pedals because the floor mount pedal i had wasnt going to work. This helps by moving the master cylinders behind the dash. Also is my powersteering flow reducer so the ls1 pump doesnt over power the rack

So for my solution for the starter I ordered Powered By Max Eccentric Solid Rack Bushing. These actually helped me kill 2 birds with 1 stone. It moves the rack forward to stop overcentering the tie rods and locking the steering at max angle. I had problems with this at my last drift event.
Also ordered the Sikky Sway Bar. Sikky has a redesigned sway bar for the 240sx to help with any swap not just ls1. Also it has a sexy green

After installing the new parts we put the engine back in and BAM!!! The engine went in like butta. The starter clears with about .5in and sway bar clears great. So from here we started making the mounts and installing a few random pieces.

STARTER CLEARANCE

Got a little progress done the past few days. Slowly but surely its coming along. I got my Sikky driveshaft installed. Also got my new Stance solid steering bushing in today and installed.

Got my oil filter relocation and lines mounted and ran. Dont mind the temp filter i have a big boy ready for this MacDaddy

Also relocated my Fuel filter/Regulator. I figured this would be a good place to put it to keep it away from heat and to keep it close to the fuel rail for less pressure drop. Since the fuel regulator for the camaros is in the tank itself I had to go with a 98+ Corvette fuel filter because it has a built in pressure regulator.

Also just for the hell I tried test fitting the pipes for my headers and surprisingly it was kinda close for the passenger side. Drivers side not so much. Gotta work around a steering shaft and starter. Still needs some more cutting and repositioning.

Also got in my gauges. This is the ARK Designs MFD(multi function dash). It has 8 gauges in this one device with audible and visual warnings. It can read the factory sensors or additional sensors can be added if they dont come factory. It has analog and digital gauges and in many different combos. For $200 it was way better and cheaper than buying 8 gauges. I hooked it to the computer just to play with it and im already impressed.

Got my S.S. powersteering lines and fuel lines made at Patco in Murfreesboro

Started on making my stand alone wire harness and getting it tucked away behind the dash.
Gotta love the rainbow spaghetti

All the wires and sensors Im not using that came out of the harness

Hers getting the wiring ran into the cab.

Here's the wiring after I got everything done before and after the loom

BEFORE:

AFTER:

After getting all the wiring done my buddy came over and "reflashed" my ECU and after about 15 mins we cut it on first try with no problems

So now onto some more progress to get the car driveable. Getting it ready to go to the shop so we can get the tube front, headers, and roll cage in so we can mount the pedals.

Cut out the fender wells

And got master kill switch installed

This is all the progress i have for now and lots more coming soon. We're hoping to get this thing moving here in the next month. Heres a picture i found on google. This is kinda what my car will look like when finished.

THANKS AND ENJOY!!!!
s13suckadrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
zneubauer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
zneubauer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
looks good!
zneubauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
badbob2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Build looks legit, do you attend many events in STL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13suckadrift View Post
my friend Tyson's ls2 240sx
I think we know the same Tyson, two tone s13 coupe? If so, very cool dude and has a sick coupe..

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM = BOBBY_LS13
badbob2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
jdm_rydaa
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
jdm_rydaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sick build man, looking forward to seeing it done.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
s13suckadrift
Leaky Injector

s13suckadrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks and I plan on trying to attend as many events as I can when it's finished.
Here's some quick pics of my roll cage and pedals mounted up. Should be driving the car Saturday night.

s13suckadrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
onthegrind
Zilvia Member

onthegrind is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates on this car?
onthegrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Johnny_K
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Johnny_K is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
He finished it, competed in mdu pro am series and recently smashed the front end hooning around
Johnny_K is offline   Reply With Quote