Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #601
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
had to stare at it crooknecked,.....but looks like ur on the right track.....lol

id just buy the Auto-Rod Controls panel.
ARC-Auto Rod Controls 8000D - ARC Flat Touch Switch Panels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

then all that work is done for you,. and you can still wire your car to your hearts desire
Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #602
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
^
Must be nice, but I'm not looking to spend that money.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #603
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

This were I'm at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323912373.507220.jpg (126.4 KB, 359 views)
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #604
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
You're doing it backwards. Run the wire from whatever device or connector it's coming from (assuming you're using an existing harness) and then crimp an end on the wire. Crimping an end on a pigtail off your relays/dist block just ensures an extra solder joint.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #605
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
You're doing it backwards. Run the wire from whatever device or connector it's coming from (assuming you're using an existing harness) and then crimp an end on the wire. Crimping an end on a pigtail off your relays/dist block just ensures an extra solder joint.
My goal is to make my own harness for essentials the only original wires would be the engine harness. Correct me on this but I changed the switch location, I'll be running ----ground to switch to relay (86) pin. Instead of relay (85) having the switch
Old 12-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #606
axiomatik
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
So I'm now trying to wire up my car from scratch. I made some wiring diagrams I'm not done with them yet, ( I know I need to put my starter relay) Just want to know if I'm on the right track. What I want is all relays be activated by a switch, and power up what ever I need to work ( fuel pump/ fan) and so on... And when no longer needed just flick the switch to off.
Option 1
Option 2 ( I've figured out how to add. An indicator light) will post pic tomorrow

Any suggestions or thoughts would be help ful , I'm I good or not with this layout.
I see one main breaker, but no individual fuses for the various circuits. If you get a short somewhere your wiring may burn before the breaker trips.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #607
flipmike22
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
flipmike22 has made poor choicesflipmike22 has made poor choicesflipmike22 has made poor choicesflipmike22 has made poor choicesflipmike22 has made poor choicesflipmike22 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Bays View Post

where did you get those radiator braided lines and coolant reservoir lines? are they the spectre braided lines from summit?
flipmike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #608
killer skittle
Zilvia Member

killer skittle is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
So I'm now trying to wire up my car from scratch. I made some wiring diagrams I'm not done with them yet, ( I know I need to put my starter relay) Just want to know if I'm on the right track. What I want is all relays be activated by a switch, and power up what ever I need to work ( fuel pump/ fan) and so on... And when no longer needed just flick the switch to off.
Option 1
Option 2 ( I've figured out how to add. An indicator light) will post pic tomorrow

Any suggestions or thoughts would be help ful , I'm I good or not with this layout.
Suggestion: please please for your own sake make neater/ cleaner diagrams. You will be hating life later on if you don't.
killer skittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #609
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomatik View Post
I see one main breaker, but no individual fuses for the various circuits. If you get a short somewhere your wiring may burn before the breaker trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer skittle View Post
Suggestion: please please for your own sake make neater/ cleaner diagrams. You will be hating life later on if you don't.

i still need to wire up my gauges and havent tapped into the ecu yet, put ill post the pins and what not, anyone know which pin to power up ecu of the top of their head? should i wire up a 14 pin oem connector ? but i left extra relays incase i need future power it will be wires up, so still not done, any critique would help
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmike22 View Post
where did you get those radiator braided lines and coolant reservoir lines? are they the spectre braided lines from summit?
-16an hoses

Last edited by godrifttoday; 12-15-2011 at 05:21 PM..
godrifttoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #610
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

deleteeeeeeeeee
Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #611
Chase Bays
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Chase Bays is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmike22 View Post
We sell them. Its our one of product options with our Radiator.

Nissan 240sx - ChaseBays.com

IMPROVING PERFORMANCE AND AESTHETICS WHILE SAVING WEIGHT AND SPACE

www.ChaseBays.com | [email protected] | (205)623-2188
Chase Bays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #612
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Bays View Post
We sell them. Its our one of product options with our Radiator.

Nissan 240sx - ChaseBays.com
could you post a picture that shows more of behind the motor? specifically the coolant hose in the back and the fuel rail. thanks.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #613
phearski

Trader Rating: (1)
phearski is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Just a couple more things to add to the bay and that's it. Should be REALLY clean looking once it's done. I just need to add the engine harness which will obviously be tucked, the heater lines and radiator lines which will be all black AN fittings and braided black nylon hose... along with a tucked radiator. Then a custom intake setup and I should be good to go.

I can't wait to see the results.
phearski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #614
killer skittle
Zilvia Member

killer skittle is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

i still need to wire up my gauges and havent tapped into the ecu yet, put ill post the pins and what not, anyone know which pin to power up ecu of the top of their head? should i wire up a 14 pin oem connector ? but i left extra relays incase i need future power it will be wires up, so still not done, any critique would help

-16an hoses
<3
killer skittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #615
boyou2
Zilvia Junkie

boyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
A fuse especially used for the brake light?

Useless, you should use the left brake light with the left lightning, and do the same with the right circuit.

You should use two different/separate and secured circuit for left and right light relay command, because if you do like your draw, if your main fuse for relays burn, you have no light at all, no fuel pump, no FAN, no ignition, you can imagine the dramatical issue by night in the middle of nowhere......

For the alternator and starter, YES, you MUST use FUSES!!!!

For every electrical systems, at the beginning of them, and the nearest of the battery, fuse, fuse, fuse!!!!

after the battery, a 75A fuse, for general security, and after that, fuse box.

Here's a fast schem' that i made :

I didi'nt make the brake light modification.
boyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #616
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

^
I see that actually make sense, the reason I'm using 85 straight to 12 volt it just seems easier to wire, since they relas only need I think.5 volts to activate that's why I had ask if I needed a resistor, I could also just tap into the ecu to activate the relays... But if not I will run them off 2 separate circuits. I actually altered my set up. For the break lights the 2 lights are wired together and ran on a fuse, and as for the battery I don't have a 75 fuse I have a 80 amp breaker. Thanks for the new idea! I'll post pics later. Here is how it's coming out so far
Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #617
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
Quote:
^
I see that actually make sense, the reason I'm using 85 straight to 12 volt it just seems easier to wire, since they relas only need I think.5 volts to activate that's why I had ask if I needed a resistor, I could also just tap into the ecu to activate the relays... But if not I will run them off 2 separate circuits. I actually altered my set up. For the break lights the 2 lights are wired together and ran on a fuse, and as for the battery I don't have a 75 fuse I have a 80 amp breaker. Thanks for the new idea! I'll post pics later. Here is how it's coming out so far
Automotive relays are designed to operate at 12 volts. While they may not need a full 12 volts to actuate (though I doubt 0.5 volts would be enough), they are rated for 12 volts.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #618
boyou2
Zilvia Junkie

boyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura about
I agree, another voltage (more or less) will destroy them for a court period.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #619
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
12v relays stop being reliable at around 9v. I think he's referring to the 500ma (.5 amp) draw when the coil closes the armature.

80a breaker on the battery (before the starter) will trip every time you crank the car for more than a second.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 12-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #620
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
90240sx07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's a fast schem' that i made :

I didi'nt make the brake light modification.[/QUOTE]

whats the square item by the fuse after the battery and has the alternator and starter wires coming out?
relay box??
90240sx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #621
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
12v relays stop being reliable at around 9v. I think he's referring to the 500ma (.5 amp) draw when the coil closes the armature.

80a breaker on the battery (before the starter) will trip every time you crank the car for more than a second.
From my understanding relays don't need constant power to get activated, but how I'm doing it I'm using 12 volts what side resistor should I use to limit the voltage to the relays? So for the battery to the starter no fuse correct? Everything else yes? I need to look at the fsm again lol
Old 12-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #622
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
whats the square item by the fuse after the battery and has the alternator and starter wires coming out?
relay box??
Probably distribution block?
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #623
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Yes it is a distribution block
Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #624
axiomatik
Post Whore!

Relays need constant voltage to stay energized. It is not like a light switch, where you flip it once, and it stays there. You apply voltage to a relay, it energizes, and as soon as you remove the voltage, it de-energizes.

Do not wire in any resistor to change the voltage going to the relays. The relays are designed to operate at the standard automotive 12-14 volts.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #625
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
From my understanding relays don't need constant power to get activated, but how I'm doing it I'm using 12 volts what side resistor should I use to limit the voltage to the relays? So for the battery to the starter no fuse correct? Everything else yes? I need to look at the fsm again lol
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but you're really not getting it.

A relay has two parts, a coil (between pins 85 and 86) and an armature (between pins 30, 87, and 87a). A small current (at a set voltage, in this case 12v) across the coil activates the armature, which has very large contacts to conduct a large amount of current (usually 30A or 40A). If you use a resistor inline with the coil, you'll drop the voltage that the coil sees, and it won't have the electromotive force to effectively close the armature.

Short version: Don't limit voltage to the coil. Like I said, 12v relays stop opening and closing effectively at about 9v.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #626
boyou2
Zilvia Junkie

the command part of the relay is a magnet system (as injector) if voltage in it is not strong enough, it will not 'close' the circuit, and so, let the current goes to the element you want to work.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #627
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

I get it how a relay works, I was just needed to be clear since I got a bit confused once u said relays are not reliable 9v... And no I don't think your being harsh. Its far better to ask, than not too..
Old 12-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #628
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

... so when you deliver switched power to the relay to energize the coil, it needs to be switched +12V. No resistor inline with your switched hot, switched ground, constant hot, constant ground, whatever. No resistors.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #629
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Why in the hell are we evening talking about resistors? I feel like I should be working on a new Chrysler model or something.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #630
slow-R

slow-R is an unknown quantity at this point
im relocating my fuse box in s14 to trunk anyone got wire loom they wanna sell to me :P