Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Groffunitracing

Trader Rating: (0)
Groffunitracing is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tires drifting

Mod please delete

Last edited by Groffunitracing; 11-21-2013 at 05:25 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
ugh.

there are FAR too many variables for this question to have ONE answer.
-what is your budget for tires?
-how advanced is your setup?
-how often do you go drifting?

personally i think a 245-40 is more than enough tire in the rear, especially if you're running something with some grip like an rt615.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

OrangeVirus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
225-45R.

Cheap.

Doable.

daily-able.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
KevinEdgar
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
KevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
There's far too many options to just ask a really open end question like that. And there is no "best size for drifting," you can make anything work within reason.

I don't even know where to start but once you know what wheel size you will be running visit rimtuck.com to help decide what tires.

I'm confused cause you have a 350hp car but don't know much about tires? Good luck dude.

http://milktea-man.com
Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Groffunitracing

Groffunitracing is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinEdgar View Post
There's far too many options to just ask a really open end question like that. And there is no "best size for drifting," you can make anything work within reason.

I don't even know where to start but once you know what wheel size you will be running visit rimtuck.com to help decide what tires.

I'm confused cause you have a 350hp car but don't know much about tires? Good luck dude.
Ok,

First let's be cool here no reason to be a punk,
I said I'm currently using 245/40/17 with my current car low whp car and will stepping up to a newer drift car that has more whp! I was asking if guys could respond that have 350+whp and if my current tire was good traction wise or should I look into a wider tire etc.. And what rim size are guys w bigger whp running.

Yes I'm newish to drifting but just trying to ask question for help. Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
simple awnser is to have a compound/width to have control with your setup, and compare that to what you can aford buying a shit ton of......

im running a 335 rear and 265 front for auto cross, on the other hand i run a 285rear/245front for driftng.....(i make a decent amount of power...)
Old 04-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
trxrx7
Leaky Injector

trxrx7 is an unknown quantity at this point
when you are new to drifting, start with cheap thin tires from junkyards in the rear and get some rt615(decent price, good tire) or something like that for the front to take care of understeer so that you get a feeling for it first, you cant just get into a ready to drift car with a lot of meat under the fender and lay down some crazy drifts even if it has the power. you will have a hard time keeping it sidways with a wide tire like that unless you are a good driver and have drifting experience cause a 245 will give a lot of grip for a 350hp car you will probably have to do a lot of clutch kicks in 3rd/4th gear to keep it sideways and hydro brake would be nice. once you master that you could run 245's but like the guys mentioned above a 225 would really be the most suitable tire for it. and i would run 17 they are one of the cheapest low pro tires you can get, 18's will cost a big chuck more right away but maybe thats just where i live lol
Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The best tire is whatever you can afford.

It sucks drifting on 19's.... hell 17's can be expensive.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #9
Driftwire
Zilvia Addict

Driftwire is an unknown quantity at this point
Get to testing certain sizes.. Matters all on the Driver and Experience as everyone else has stated.. In the mean time can someone tell me which seatbelt is going to make me a super JDM tight Drift King
Did you check the potato fuse located in the front right corner of your gas tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB33 View Post
No i haven't. To be honest i didnt know there was a fuse there. Thats not a fuse for the fuel pump is it?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #10
BraveFart

BraveFart is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I would definitely run 17's if I were you. I just sold my 18's and will be buying some 17's simply because wheels and tires are a lot cheaper in that size. Plus 17's would be easier to break loose than 18's, and it would be closer to stock diameter which is good.

And for tires, I've read that Federal ss595's (just 595 now) are good for drifting at a beginner level, and they're cheap.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
Jites

Jites is an unknown quantity at this point
no one has mentioned this but...

Tyre pressure has a lot to play, I was skidding 225/45/17 RE01's at my last drift day in a 250hp @fly s14a no bother with 60psi, then moved to Dunlop Sport things 253/40/18 @ 50psi which had less grip even though the size was different.

If your not slidding enough, put the PSI up a bit, if you have no grip or running 205/xx/xx or something drop it. I try to get each tyre to grip like the last by doing this.

Id say stick to what you know, alter PSI until your happy and go do boss skids
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
VIPDRFT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
VIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You're an idiot. If you're new to drifting, you shouldn't be moving into a 350 hp car when you probably couldn't even get down in your 240 hp one.

Like already mentioned, there is no ideal tire size for drifting a 350 hp car. Tire size is not equal to grip.

There are several factors that effect grip besides power (i.e. speeds, vehicle weight, suspension geometry, track conditions, tire compund, pressure, temp, etc...)

With that said, 17's in 225 to 235 are pretty decent for the rear, plus, they're cheap and available.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
ejkisela
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just run 215fr 215rr and go for it. Too slick, air them down. Too grippy, air the rears up and smoke the whole place up. Just get out there and drive man.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
Jites

Jites is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejkisela View Post
Just run 215fr 215rr and go for it. Too slick, air them down. Too grippy, air the rears up and smoke the whole place up. Just get out there and drive man.
what this guy said.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
tloh
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
tloh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Drifting it doesn't matter as much at all what tire, just grab cheap ones from junkyard or used tire place (local small places are great because the more you go the more they help you out) and drive.

Driving time > everything when it's drifting.

If this was something like auto x or road racing then widest tire that wont make your side wall flex on the wheel.

215-245 width is a good start

Also, if your asking this question and buying a 350whp drift car I would suggest taking it to a drivers ed like skip barber or bmw scca ed to have someone show you with experience under there belt or have a old vet driver at your drift events drive the car and learn from that, because all your going to do is wreck most likely, no offense.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
gostrider
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
gostrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
105 35 22 is perfect