Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
bigturbo3
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
bigturbo3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Maximum front tire size/width with high angle drift setup?

Hey guys, I have been searching the max tire size threads and wheel fitment threads, but from what I have seen, I haven't found anyone taking into account high angle modifications for drift setups.

My setup on my S13:
Voodoo offset, high angle tension rods
DL Garage extended LCAs
DL Garage high angle knuckles
Tein inner and outer tie rods
Steering rack spacers on both driver and passenger side

Wheels in the front are cheap XXR 17x7 (+38) with 38mm spacer making them 0 offset with 215/40/17 tires. I am trying to find something wider so I can get a little better grip coming into the corners.

I believe the angle is around 65 degrees. I am trying to find some information on how wide of a tire I can go without rubbing too much at full lock. I am also considering maybe getting a more negative offset wheel to put me at -15 or so with wider tires, but want to see if anyone has something like this already for tips before ordering new wheels/tires.

Do we have any threads on this already or does anyone have a similar setup with wider tires in the front?

Thanks!
bigturbo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Technically you could run as wide of a tire/wheel as you wanted if you spaced it out from the lca via offset or spacers.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
bigturbo3
Zilvia Member

So that is one thing I forgot to mention. To try and test fit, I grabbed my rear wheels and threw them on the front. They are 17x9 +35 with 245/40/17. I ended up rubbing in the wheel well on the firewall side. So the sidewall was too tall is what I can tell.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That can be fixed with massaging of the firewall, as well as shortening the tension rods to pull the wheel forward in the wheel well. With everything being adjustable it's just hard to have a concrete answer. Even ride height has an effect on that clearance.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
bigturbo3
Zilvia Member

That's a good point. I do need to make caster adjustments anyway. Maybe I will move that forward and test fit the rears again.