Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-09-2003, 11:45 AM   #1
POPEYE

Trader Rating: (0)
POPEYE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$5k and one S14..what to do?

Hey all...happy sunday!
Ok....short and sweet, 95 240, manual, and $5k to spend for goodies....what would you do?
CHEERS!
Old 03-09-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
basic maintenance
LSD
good tires
brake upgrade (either z32 brakes or rotors/pads)
coilovers or shock/springs
wheels
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
POPEYE

Sounds good....I think I am going go before I go Show after all. I just sold my FD...it was gettin too expensicve to maintain....damn seals..but hey can anyone get me running a 13.1 wtih $5k? I am going to miss that Help guys, I am in the need for speed.
Thanks again Dousan for ur input!
Cheers
Old 03-09-2003, 12:26 PM   #4
pruto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
pruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wait, you're the one that wants to go all show right?

*sigh* well, if you're to go all show... uh... $5k...

wheels/tires
shocks/springs
bodykit (please, don't get knockoffs) greddy makes a nice clean kit, so does jic, you can always go bomex...
z brakes (with the added bonus of being functional)

do what dousan said if you changed your mind and want to put your s14 to good use =p

in my experience, you should always set aside some money for emergencies, especially when you first get the car. Also, s14 parts are expensive.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Quote:
Originally posted by pruto
wait, you're the one that wants to go all show right?

*sigh* well, if you're to go all show... uh... $5k...

wheels/tires
shocks/springs
bodykit (please, don't get knockoffs) greddy makes a nice clean kit, so does jic, you can always go bomex...
z brakes (with the added bonus of being functional)

do what dousan said if you changed your mind and want to put your s14 to good use =p

in my experience, you should always set aside some money for emergencies, especially when you first get the car. Also, s14 parts are expensive.
He already changed his mind.

Umm since you were most worried about reliability things, do everything right. I would make sure the car is in working order first, then after it is in top shape you can either KA-T SR, or whatever, just make sure you have enough money for all parts and extra amount of money for mishaps.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
pruto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
pruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yey! ignore my previous post =p

the s14 might be slow compared to your FD, but i think many on this board would advise against power as your first mod, a s14 that can hit 13.1 quarter mile and still have stock brakes/suspension/no lsd would not be fun to drive.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:39 PM   #7
POPEYE

hehe

Ha ya...I was the all show ...I know I know, I was all abotu all show, but that was before I sold my FD, see my FD was my go out and have fun car, well if you have an experience with FD's or FC's or what not you know how problematic they can be, I lost a seal, end of story, 3mm too, but anyways, so I was going to get a 240 and "show" it off, well things change, I am a college student and FD's are a weee expensive to maintain I have been finding out the last few months....so now I am going s14....and should have about $5k left over...I am real tempted to do and SR swap, but I dont know what trouble I will run into, let alone enough money for the swap.....but hey guys thanks for the help...more ideas would be great too!
Old 03-09-2003, 12:48 PM   #8
DRO916
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
DRO916 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DRO916 Send a message via Yahoo to DRO916
i wish i had $5k
Old 03-09-2003, 01:00 PM   #9
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
i serioulsy highlysuggest the LSD first before anything.its about 1200 out of your budget, but if you want to drag, auto-x or drift, you need an LSD. might as well get it out of the way first. everyone i've convinced to get LSD was kissing my ass after they got it, most feel yeah, should have gotten that FIRST. you can do A LOT on the stock suspension. but open diff is no fun when you want to do some more seroius spirited driving.

if you want more streetability, go 1.5 way LSD. you get better turn in and your tires will probably last longer

if you are going to get serious into drag then 1 way will do

if you want to do drifting, track racing a 1.5 is fine but a 2 way is the shiznit. especially for drifting.

i say scratch the suspension, yeah it looks nice but lowering just means you gte ne wheels then and when you get new wheels you need more power and those wheels might be 17s so then you need mor epower to spin them which means a new engine and a new engine mean more poewr, more power equals upgrade the braking system, will kill the budget so its a waste imho. get a LSD and have tonsofun
Old 03-09-2003, 01:17 PM   #10
POPEYE

AHHHH I keep reading info on the SR swap, quick someone tell me the downfall or something to steer my away from doing this if its bad to start with....
Old 03-09-2003, 01:19 PM   #11
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

mm downfalls. its expensive, parts can be more expensive but not necessarily
you might lose AC
um..and you'd be officially "on the bandwagon"haha
but its a good engine, great engine just i think you should focus on other aspects of a car firs.t yeah afast car is cool but its not fun when its fast but handles like sh!t
Old 03-09-2003, 01:21 PM   #12
wherezmytofu
BANNED

wherezmytofu is an unknown quantity at this point
front strut bar, du-luck x-bar, du-luck floor bars, do luck front and rear ladder bars, cusco triangular bar, white lines, koni's, kat
wherezmytofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:59 PM   #13
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Quote:
Originally posted by wherezmytofu
front strut bar, du-luck x-bar, du-luck floor bars, do luck front and rear ladder bars, cusco triangular bar, white lines, koni's, kat
I hope buy kat you mean a kit-kat bar, cuz he is gonna be short on money for a KA-T

EDIT: Unless he is real conservative, and does a DIY, and has a hook up on Do-Luck parts.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:07 PM   #14
ny_jee
Zilvia Member

ny_jee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by wherezmytofu
Front strut bars, you can really do w/o. IMO, they don't do much, and they get in the way while working on engine. All do-luck bars are great choices. Cusco triangular bar is only made for s13 chassis, I believe he's got a 95... White lines, a friend of mine didn't like them. In fact, he sold them no long ago. ST's, I've heard great feedbacks on them, and I have no complaints. Koni's, if you are talking about the shocks & struts, they are crap. KA-T, after all the things you suggested(if he didn't need any basic maintanence), will just cap his budget and leave nothing for when things go wrong.

W/ that said, go w/ what dousan has suggested. However, w/ some minor changes. Basic maintanence is definately first on the list. LSD definately should follow. As for good tires, if you have any thoughts of getting some wheels. Then wait. Brake upgrade, pads and rotors are enough. No need for Z brakes yet w/ no engine mod(even w/ engine mod... Unless you got KA-T). Coilovers if you doing some serious RR/autoX/drifting, drag has a different type of coilovers. But coilovers should come before any other suspension mods, period. Wheels... just some showy factors, but nice to have them tho.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:55 PM   #15
planb
Leaky Injector

planb is an unknown quantity at this point
in this order

maintenance (steering rack being the biggie, brakes, worn bushings, make sure your car can be properly aligned..etc)
front and rear whiteline sway bars
springs and shocks.. or coilovers
nice sized wheels with good tires
j30 lsd

You will have a very nice and very fun to drive car at this point. Theres really nothing more to do handling/suspension wise for a daily driver, even weekend autox.

Then go on to power.

Last edited by planb; 03-09-2003 at 11:57 PM..
planb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:21 AM   #16
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

nrcooled is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to nrcooled
Quote:
Originally posted by POPEYE
AHHHH I keep reading info on the SR swap, quick someone tell me the downfall or something to steer my away from doing this if its bad to start with....
The SR swap was the first mod I did to my car! Well I did brakes first but SR was soon to follow. Good way to start. Just think about it....if you were to buy a 180sx or silvia that would be the way you would start so why not get the power potential in there first then go and upgrade suspension and such. The 240 stock is still a capable handler

Edit: The drifters are taking over the board ::eh::
Old 03-10-2003, 04:48 AM   #17
adey
Post Whore!

adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by nrcooled
The drifters are taking over the board ::eh::
If (when) you try it, you'll become one of us, too!.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:03 AM   #18
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

nrcooled is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to nrcooled
Quote:
Originally posted by adey
If (when) you try it, you'll become one of us, too!.
I can't afford to drift! Constantly replacing tires and clutches. Not to mention broken T/C rods, tie rods, control arms and the like from the off road excursions. Road racing already costs too much damn money
Old 03-10-2003, 02:41 PM   #19
russian
Zilvia FREAK!

russian is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to russian
5k to have is shiznet.... personally i wont go Sr20 only (and the only) one reason, its illegal, so limits the circle of people you could sell the car to in case (severe) emergency, also worry about inspection & maintainance( someone already said parts are expensive).
If i were you, i would get F-max turbo ($3800), get suspension (eibach + Koni= 700) and the rest you can spend on an exhaust (5zigen, hks or apexi = all around say 600) after that you can do strut bars, headers or whichever direction you want, even if you still want a show car...)

if pure show, get the best(in my mind) body kit which is ING, its around 2200$... very sweet and its hybrid material, prety strong and flexible. )